Oh Bernie just stop | FerrariChat

Oh Bernie just stop

Discussion in 'F1' started by IamRobG, Mar 31, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
  2. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    please, somebody just shot him....The man is senil for a long, long time, he has been destroying f.1 for decades....too bad Gilles didn´t break his face when he got the chance.....

3. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    He's just he drug dealer. the drug is Money, and the teams are addicts as well as CVC... he's like Jessie Pinkman he uses a bit too....

Ferrari is particularrly addicted, and now that they will be public ... the wall street analysts will start to drive profits, and expectations...

I can only say that I;m so thankful that I lived when F-1 was F-1(1967 - 1994)

4. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Surprised someone has not hired a Sicilian actuary to take care of the Bernie problem.

Tony Soprano would have the guy whacked...but Tony is dead (heart attack) years ago.

5. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I've defended bernie plenty of times but even I have to admit his statements in the last few weeks makes me think he's going a tad senile.

6. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Exactly was I was saying to myself; Monza, of all races! Come on...time for his pension.

Rgds

7. omniman

omniman Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2008
    Florida/Michigan
    Full Name:
    James L.
    Even after the vetting Europe will have 8 of the 19 races. Perhaps over saturation and a dilution of the fan base has as much to do with Bernie's logic. Reading between the lines... maybe he feels there needs to be less events concentrated in one area. Greed certainly is a factor but Bernie hardly has that vice to himself. Plenty of blame to go around.

8. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    There are only two criteria to hosting an F1 race; 1) have Tilke design or improve the track (of course there is no kickback to Bernie), 2) pay whatever the current tariff Bernie can extract. There is no history, no tradition, no loyalty, it is strictly a case of maximizing Bernie's take. So Baku and Sochi are now on the circuit for 2016 because they ponied up. If Ulna Bator, Timbuktu, Nome, Reykjavik and Khartoum can meet or exceed the going rate, they could well replace Barcelona, Monza, Hungary, Austria and CoTA could be last years news.

9. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    People were complaining about the political staging of Putin during the Russian GP but it seems that F1 can just be held on circuits with government background as private operated tracks are not able to make money out of the race anymore thanks to the greed of some...So we can expect to see more and more races like Sochi in future...
    It seems that Ecclestone does not really care about his legacy but prefers his current income over it, not caring what F1 might look like in 10-20 years...

10. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

Although, I don't think he's loosing it & remains as sharp as a tack. I want to believe it's just "Bernie being Bernie", who never says anything without some kind of ulterior motive if it suits his agenda. Whatever that may be.....

Having said that, I thought we'd see a "last minute rescue" (possibly with Merc behind it?) to keep Germany on the calendar too, so I could be wrong. His comments about the new 'Ring owners overpaying and "forgetting that they need to pay the loans back" are maybe a little sour grapes, but the man remains smart - I can't help thinking if he'd have bought it we'd still have a GP there.....

But no Monza? :( :(

He seems to be pointing his finger primarily at the short sighted team owners more than anyone else, and I think he may have a point. Sure, CVC taking the cream off the top isn't helping, but it's not like they're not all receiving many, many 10's of millions per after all.

I'm surprised nobody has picked up on this little gem from the other day;

:eek: Maybe he is going a little bonkers!

Ecclestone proposing F1 championship for women - Pitpass.com

Cheers,
    Ian

11. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Exactly what doomed the French Grand Prix to oblivion.
    After the last one, in 2008, when Bernie said: "no more Magny-cours", the french governement seized the occasion to then say: "no more public money to fund the deficit, if Mr E. is not at least participating somehow".
    Then they masqueraded for three or four years with different plans and comittees, to work on a return, but nothing cames out of it.
    With the change of governement in 2012, the idea was revived, only for the new government to say the same thing again: "not one euro of public money to subside Mr E and his acolytes...". The principle is still enforced today, and will remain so: the french Grand Prix is now almost forgotten, and no-one wants it to be resuscited in the future.

Rgds

12. Axecent

Axecent Formula 3

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Euro value can't be helping. Unrest in Frankfurt, albeit small, is also a factor. Germans are tired of bailing out Greece and other Euro beneficiaries. It's a bit of a perfect storm. Bernie's unbridled greed is the biggest factor, though.

13. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Why did it stop in '94? The 95-2000 seasons were freaking brilliant. Still had all the good European races too.

14. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Not really...We are talking about some million Euros..If the government wants to it would not be a problem, they have spent money on the new (unfinished) airport in Berlin that would finance the German GP for the next hundred years. It is just that (unlike with football) the public is not willing to spend money on a sport the majority does not care about and the fact that some others are making serious money with that does not help, especially after Ecclestone was in the press because of bribery.
    I guess the only chance would be Mercedes sponsoring a home GP just as RB does in Spielberg...Would also be the solution for France if Renault would step in.

15. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I suspect he was referring specifically to 1st May 1994. :(

Many believe that was the terrible day when it all changed.

RIP to the best.
    Ian

16. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Last year's news is the NY-NJ race. Every year.

17. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    I catch a lot of flack for this, but I still think to this day if Senna didn't pass, Schumacher wouldn't have 7 WDC's and Senna would have 5 or 6 before he retired.

18. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    I might catch flack for this, but I think Schumacher was better so he would still have the same amount had Senna lived.

19. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    THATS IT! 3 O'clock playground!

20. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    +1

21. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    well, to be honest 94 aND 95 would be difficult to say becau ewilliams would have had a great driver instead of a crap one....

22. Duck_Hollywood

Duck_Hollywood Formula Junior

May 21, 2006
    Dallas, Tx
    F1 is a business, and bernie runs it like one, like him or hate him for that... but this is a high risk business (not only for the drivers and teams, but also those invested) one poorly planned race weekend could set the dominos in motion and the whole series could come crashing down.
    the fees are not a secret, anyone who wants to host a race already knows the price

23. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    The NY/NJ race won't happen because there is no government money for a car race and there is no hope of breaking even without a huge subsidy.

24. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    There has to be a balance.
    Monaco is said to have no licensing fees.
    Germany is a very important race to many of the drivers and the dominant team and that teams supply of engines to others.
    To cut the throat of a German GP for a few shekels is fools play.
    Bernie doesn't like the deal in entirety ? Well suck it up big boy and deal with it next year. Whats this crap about the show must go on ?
    Everyone compromises except His Lowness.

25. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    I hard to believe its been 20 years. Time is a flying.