Team or Driver, whom do you cheer?? | FerrariChat

Team or Driver, whom do you cheer??

Discussion in 'F1' started by E60 M5, Mar 31, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Team or driver, whom do you cheer??

1. Team

2. Driver

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Having not really cheered for Seb in the past, it is interesting that he is now my guy!

So, it got me wondering is your loyalty to team or driver??

Forza Ferrari!

2. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    I always cheer my team first (SF), but I also root for some drivers on the grid.

3. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    I am with Ricks
    I firstly choose a team but still have some (current) drivers I favor [Button, Kimi]

4. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I was raised to cheer for my favorite team and not really players, i.e. LA Dodgers, Washington Redskins, Washington Capitals. If you played for the team, the family cheered you, if you left, well see you later.

5. nsxrebel

nsxrebel Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    I don't follow sports besides F1 and MotoGP. I hate baseball, boring sport, but I love/root for the Dodgers. In fact, I root for LA teams over others, whether baseball, football, basketball, etc. After that, I root for CA teams over out of state teams.

MotoGP, I definitely root for Repsol Honda but I also like both riders.

F1, I root for drivers first, then teams, for the most part.

6. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Driver > team.

Although I do have a favorite team, Ferrari of course...But I didn't really care for when Alonso won. It never made me feel happiness. When Vettel won on Sunday I was tremendously happy.

7. schumacherf2006

schumacherf2006 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2010
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Always enjoyed watching Kimi, I have always cheered for Ferrari, it was also fun to watch when Kubica was racing for Bmw.

So both?

8. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    It depends on how drunk I am

9. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    How many here are no longer offended by the sight of Vettel's extended right index finger?

10. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I love it, but only because he is now with Ferrari!! Team!

11. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I tend to follow drivers rather than teams and I am interested by more than results; personalities mean a lot to me.

So, I liked Lauda in his days, Prost and Damon Hill. Now I follow Kimi and ... Sergio Perez !!
    Believe it or not, but I root for Rosberg.

Teamwise, I lost interest with the Scuderia afte the Old Man died and my favourite team is McLaren now, even if they are taking a real pounding at the moment.

12. toil

toil F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 23, 2014
    Driver. A team is just a corporate entity made up of the people it employs. If you like the people you'll like the team. In terms of allegiance to a "brand" ofc ferrari are the best.

13. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    #13 Fast_ian, Mar 31, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
    ....... He'll always be "KI" to me! Admittedly, now he's in red I'm a lot more tolerant! ;)

:D

To answer the Q - Team for sure! Soccer? Spurs. NFL? The 49ers. Baseball? The Giants.

While the jockeys are the 'stars' F1 may very well be the ultimate team sport. There's many tens, even hundreds, of people that must work together to get to the front.

#1 - Ferrari of course. As far back as I can remember (a long time now!), they were *the* team! A charisma, myth, ambience and history that none of the others will ever possess, no matter how much success they may garner.

#2 - Sir Frank. The last of the true 'racers'. I remember when he was the Manor of today. Fighting to stay alive because he wanted to race. So, so happy to see them back towards the pointy end.

Drivers? They come & go. I have some 'favorites', but the team is *always* more important than the jockeys IMO. To me anyway, anyone who doesn't 'get' that doesn't get F1.

Cheers.
    Ian

14. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    When you watch Football or Baseball, do you root for the team or one of the players?

Well, the answer is a little of both but for sure, it's the team first and the players second. Players get traded, injured, retire... but the team is still there.

F1 is truly a team sport. Most never see what goes on behind the scenes as only one guy stands on the podium. But talented engineers, mechanics, and designers put him in that seat to allow him do his magic.

I root for the team and against the team I don't like.

For example: Screw you SF Giants!!!!

15. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Singing from the same hymn book there man!....

:p Dodgers fan?..... **** the Dodgers! And the Cowboys! ;)

As you say, there's a few individuals in most sports I love to watch whether they're on my team or not - The Messiah at Barcelona is at the top of the list, but I'll never be a Barca' fan for example.

Cheers,
    Ian

16. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    #16 ernie, Mar 31, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
    If I don't like the driver I cheer for the team. If I like the driver but not the team then I cheer for the driver.

I didn't care so much for either Kimmi or Alonso, so I cheered for Ferrari.

But now..............

I like both Ferrari AND Sebastian. So I get a win win. I get to cheer for the team and the driver. Wooo Hooo!!!

17. scorpion

scorpion Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2004
    Kentucky
    Depends on the team and the driver.

18. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Exactly my thoughts...It looks like stars are lining up...
    I can not really judge drivers abilities because there are far more factors whether they are successful or not but one can judge the personality. I always liked Kimi just for his interviews because he is one of the few sportsmen who tells the interviewer when the question is stupid rather than doing small talk. Vettel always was a rascal and charming so I liked him even when driving for a team without any history. Now that Kimi and Vettel are driving for the Scuderia it is the best combination for me...
    I never liked Alonso (already back in the Schumacher days when he won his WDCs) so when Ferrari was successful with him it were mixed feelings because I liked the fact Ferrari won but not the fact Alonso won...

19. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    After the death of Ayrton Senna and Juan Pablo Montoya leaving F1, I only cheer for a team. Haven't found a driver with a strong enough personality to change that.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

20. barbazza

barbazza Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 10, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Similar for me although I get to cheer for Ferrari and BOTH drivers. :)

And now I don't have to feel guilty about hoping Alonso puts it in the wall and explodes...

21. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    Both. I cheer certain drivers, but I always cheer Ferrari.

Mark

22. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    always the team first.

23. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

I was born in Brooklyn, so I'm with you, Ian, I hate the Dodgers. But, hating on the Cowboys, America's Team? You sure it's not just Jerry Jones you hate? :)

For me, it's all about the team. The players change too often these days....T

24. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Overall, team.

Scuderia Ferrari and McLaren, in that order. I loved the strong Ferrari-McLaren battles of years gone by, though was always especially pleased when Ferrari triumphed.

As for current drivers, I really like Button, Raikkonen, Vettel, Ricciardo, Rosberg, Massa, and Bottas, roughly in that order. Michael Schumacher will always be the greatest of all time.

I am not a Mercedes or Lotus fan. While I rooted for Hamilton during his first 2 years, I have come to think of his humility as false and his complaining after strategy decisions shows his character as lacking. I don't trust Alonso and don't rate him as highly as many F1 pundits seem to do.

All the best,
    Andrew.

25. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I have rooted for Scuderia Ferrari since 1967! It doesn't mean that I don't also root for other drivers, particularly when it doesn't affect Ferrari's results.