Alonso to leave McLaren effective immediately!!!!! | FerrariChat

Alonso to leave McLaren effective immediately!!!!!

Discussion in 'F1' started by Ney, Apr 2, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    #1 Ney, Apr 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Alonso to leave McLaren and return to Ferrari to race at LeMans

In a shocking development for McLaren Honda, Fernando Alonso has announced that he will leave the McLaren Formula 1 team and begin preparations for the 24 hours of LeMans with his former employer Ferrari. After suffering through disastrous preseason testing with the Woking outfit and having a crash that left him concussed and missing the Australian Grand Prix, Alonso made his announcement to the team and the press late last night.
    “There is just not enough potential in the car to justify staying and trying to develop the MP4-15. There is no point in driving the car around in circles to try to take 19th position. Ron has stated that the car was not to blame and he and I have agreed to disagree about the event in testing in Spain….I cannot say more.”

His return to Ferrari marked a double surprise, as it finally confirmed that Ferrari has been developing an endurance car and is returning to endurance racing at the highest levels. Alonso stated, “It is fantastic to return to the Ferrari team…they are like family and it was a mistake to leave their F1 team, but this new challenge with the their return to endurance racing energizes me and I look forward to that new challenge.” Asked if this was a one off race or a return for the entire FIA WEC season, Alonso would only say “we will go one step at a time. There is much development still to do on the new Ferrari; this is a new area for them but they will be taking on the best manufacturers in the World”. He noted that he began exploring this possibility at the 2014 edition of the LeMans 24 hour event last summer when he drive the 1970 Ferrari 512M. “The car had the number 15 on it” an oblique reference apparently to Alonso keeping his options open despite signing a contract with McLaren. It is believed that the contract had performance clauses that would allow Alonso to exit the team should McLaren not produce a top 10 car.

Check back to our website on this breaking story….
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    This april fools just wont stop

3. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    This could actually be even dangerous: imagine Pedro ("Furoni") reading this and believing it even for a few seconds, this could end in a heart attack...

Rgds

4. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I Ain't falling for this one! One is enough. Learned my lesson!

5. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    I just did and was wondering WTF!!!!!!
    Alonso wish he would be so lucky!!! that 512 would Kick his xerox machine on wheels ass!!!

6. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    Day late and a dollar short.

7. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    1) Lame
    2) Fernando is laughing all the way to the bank.

8. nsxrebel

nsxrebel Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    People that fall for April fool's every year are either very gullible or just plain stupid.

9. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    1) yes.

2) not so sure. I don't think he's earning drastically or life changing amounts of money more at McHonda then at Ferrari... If he stayed at Ferrari he'd be challenging wins and certainly have a very good chance at podiums every race.

10. piolaxo

piolaxo Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2012
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Salvador
    Thanks for the picture!

11. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    I feel the Ferrari improved because Alonso wasn't as valued on giving feedback on the 2015 car. This is also possibly part of why he left, personality wasn't being treated like a god anymore. Once he signed with Mclaren, I'm sure he was kept out of the loop on 2015's car from that point on.

The 2015 Ferrari is radically different in tire and handling characteristics and very opposed to the development path pursued since a year after Alonso joined Ferrari. Coincidence? Maybe not.

I am not blaming Macca's woes this season. on Alonso, they had a bad car last year, and serious teething problems this year. Next year will be interesting for them for sure.

I believe Ferrari started the season with the most tokens available.

12. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    Around the time Alonso was heavily looking into leaving it sure seemed like there was more talk from the team than ever about how bad the 2015 car was going to be. Given where we are at right now, you have to think that wasn't a coincidence.

13. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    Cool "Day after April Fool's" joke. :)

14. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Very good job writing a fake story. Referring to his dalliances with Le Mans last year gave the story a touch of credibility. Referring to the struggles with the MP 4/15 was also well done.

Good effort, imo, but still was obviously an April Fool's joke...

15. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Italian politics, get the driver to want to use his own exit clause to get rid of him, and then hire Vettel. ;)

16. SlvSurfer

SlvSurfer Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2005
    Monaco/Canada
    Forget alonso he is history.

17. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    No. The engine engineers have made the power delivery more friendly as Allison has said. Alonso did miracles with the 2014 car and it is just bad timing he is not there when they improved the car.
    Pete

18. Neonzapper

Neonzapper F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2008
    MD/FL/Philippines
    Full Name:
    Mykol
    It's difficult reading posts perpetuated after the initial April Fools joke is over, but I'll keep it going since no one will take the time to read previous posts - like this one by me.

19. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    That may be true, but friendly power delivery didn't suddenly make this car much faster. It's a much improved chassis, courtesy of Allison working with Kimi.

20. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    #20 PSk, Apr 3, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
    Well Allison says that friendly power delivery is a big part of their 2015 improvements. Makes sense to me as the car would be much easier to drive and control.

Here you go, read it yourself. The other improvements are aero:http://formula1.ferrari.com/en/james-allison-improvements-on-both-sides/ ... so sorry Kimi has done nothing (bit harsh as I am sure he has) ...

Also
    So the 2015 car still has the same front as the 2014, the front so many blamed Alonso for. I've criticised the pull rod suspension too but that was the engineers fault not the drivers.

I know many of you hate Alonso, but give it a rest or take a pill and relax a bit on it ...
    Pete

21. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    This is the legend that is allways told, no matter what result he achieved some say it is at least 10 places better than the car deserved....I haven´t seen miracles from him last year but a solid performance. I doubt that the comparisation with Raikkonen says more than the 2014 car did not suit Raikkonens driving style at all.
    Certainly the victory last weekend is not the achievement of Vettel but the whole team but it seems that the team does work better since a lot of people (including Alonso) are gone.

22. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    Alonso is a great race car driver but not a good test driver. McLaren will not benefit from him unless they give him a good car to begin with that he can race competitively.

23. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    2nd in hungary was a damn miracle, also due to tire management. Do you remember the way that car was sliding all over the place at the last turn to keep Hamilton behind him. I understand people that hate him as a person, but you can't deny his ability to hop in a car and wring 11/10th's out of it.

24. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    I don´t deny his ability to get 10/10th out of the car more constantly than most others do but that is it, the rest is glorification...

25. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Thanks! I tried....the rest of you are just pissed that when you clicked on it, you felt that it was a real possibility and then realized it wasn't. :p