Can Ferrari challenge this season? (of course it has spoilers) | FerrariChat

Can Ferrari challenge this season? (of course it has spoilers)

Discussion in 'F1' started by Bas, Apr 11, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    In Canada, Ferrari are expecting a big power upgrade which really should make up a a few more tenths and at certain tracks, put them head to head.

Until then we need heat on our side or tracks with high tire wear. Bahrain is normally quite hot and it's a track where Vettel and Kimi have done very well at in the past, so maybe we can win there. Barcelona there is a small chance, depending on heat and how mercedes eat their tires. Ferrari will easily 2 stop there but if they can one stop (or 2 stints on softs) they might edge Mercedes.

Monaco there is no hope on beating Mercedes, unless one of them bangs it into the wall (always a possibility).

I think Ferrari have a decent chance to win 5 races total this year. Next year they will have a straight fight for the title.

2. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    And Alonso should be regretting his decision almost instantly when & if that happens =D

3. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Later I the season I think their aero will put them even closer.

4. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    Regret his decision to come in 2nd or 3rd place again? Might as well be last, nobody is talking about how great Rubens was.

5. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    :D Ouch!........

And to some here, he's far & away the best jockey out there right now...... ;)

The jury remains out IMO.

Cheers,
    Ian

6. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Even the best jockey in the World can only do so much on a three legged horse! ;)

7. gretel1011

gretel1011 Formula Junior

Feb 14, 2015
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom F
    Compared to 2014, SF has come a log way. Have faith.....

8. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    I agree with Bas..

9. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Mark my words: Ferrari have a higher development ceiling than Mercedes. The ferrari by comparison to the mercedes looks like a tinker toy in many respects. They have a lot of room to grow with the primary questions being: when will they stop development for this season to make a push for 2016? And how good is their aerodynamic development, in other words, are they in a position to really push and develop the car if they really want to? They may be even more competitive in coming months, but their capacity is a bit of an unknown as is their intent for this season.

10. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    What we need now is the screaming back!

11. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    I think he means that even though the Ferrari is closer to Mercedes, it's still not a title winning car, so it doesn't really matter if he's there or McLaren.

And yes, Alonso is still the best out there.

12. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Ferrari has shown in recent seasons that they can make a decent car like the current one but we still don't know if the new crew can develop it along the season or if they are going to get stuck like Fry, Tombazis and friends.

13. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    It seems to me that the SF 15 may have a chassis that is superior, or equal, to the Merc. But, there is still a PU deficit. Kimi had times in sector 1 (the sector without a straight) what were better than the Mercs'. Does anybody know how the speed trap times compare.

14. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    To be honest, I think Ferrari has succeeded in out-developing the best of the rest, and are the closest team to Merc.

But Merc is still in a league of their own. Just look at both Nico's and Lewis' laptimes on their last 2 stints in China. They were managing the race at their own pace, if push comes to shove, I think Merc have way more at their disposal.

Barring any DNFs or calamitous weather I don't see Ferrari posing a real challenge to Merc (Constructor's)

As for Driver's Championship, I think if Nico and Lewis have a serious b!tchfest, then that opens it up for Seb & Kimi =)

15. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    According to Allison on RAI, Ferrari is planning upgrades at Baharain and in Spain. So before Canada. Mercedes isn't sleeping either.

16. Crayzee1

Crayzee1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2013
    Fort Worth, TX
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Will the heat of Bahrain help Ferrari like in Malaysia? I noticed the race is being held later in the day, I would assume because of heat.

17. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    Ferrari will give Mercedes a run for their money. It's very loud and clear at this point that Mercedes feels the pressure. However, there is a lot of room for improvement for the Ferrari. I don't this the same applies for the Mercedes.

18. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    I absolutely think they can challenge. Will they win the titles? I highly doubt it, but I can see them having a 1998-esque season. McLaren started out way faster in 1998 and MS/Ferrari clawed their way back into it.

Still Michael's finest season, IMO. He was a beast that year. I'm just thrilled how much progress they have made. To be the 2nd fastest car and challenging Mercedes with 3 podiums on the year already is a massive achievement when you look at how bad things were at the end of last year.