Brundle on Verstappen: | FerrariChat

Brundle on Verstappen:

Discussion in 'F1' started by Bas, Apr 13, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
  2. toil

toil F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 23, 2014
    Part of me thinks RB will give kvyat the shove and put him in next year, or at the very least the year after. Love his aggressive (but not stupid) driving style.

3. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Verstappen really impressed me so far. While I'm certainly no expert, I know Brundle doesn't say what he has about this young man lightly.

4. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Given his very young age, he shows very good sense!

5. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    Certainly agreed on that.

On the other hand I find he has had some lucky get aways where he presented an attitude last seen with Kobayashi where his maneuvers work because the other drivers get out of their own ways to avoid impact. He is diving into spaces that are not truly there.

Besides his luck in overtaking he is showing genuine pace and given his age some huge potential!

6. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Just unreal that the guy could have 10 years of F1 experience and be 27. LOL!

7. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    I wonder which big team will take the bet first and pick him up...

8. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    While I agree he's handled himself well so far, and seems like a nice guy etc to compare him, at this stage, to two of the true greats of the sport is nothing short of ludicrous IMO.

Will he bag a WDC? I'd say given the usual (needed) luck, likely.

But, remember not long ago Brundle was saying the same about the Hulk. Indeed many here were claiming the same and that the Scuderia were *stupid* for not hiring him..... Seems to me he's another 'competent' jockey that will most likely have a decent career, but i don't see a WDC in his future - I'm thinking another Webber, or Brundle come to that. ;)

Far, far, too early to be anointing him as the next coming.

Cheers,
    Ian

9. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    +1
    I thought the same about Button when he began his career. A lucky season with Brawn crowned a very likeable and capable driver a WDC and extended his career.

10. mnm

mnm Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2004
    Weird you would use Button as an example.

He outscored Hamilton in the 3 seasons they were together, and so far has comfortably shown he is easily a match for Alonso.

If Hamilton and Alonso are worthy champions, why then not Button?

11. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I agree with the first bit, comparing him to Michael and Senna is a bit early. He's certainly silencing his critics though.

I can't remember his statements on Hulk. On Fchat they where/are quite vocal though but I've never seen the ''brilliance'' in him. I've compared him to Heidfelt and Frentzen plenty of times.

12. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    I wonder if daytona355 is ready to admit he's not looking too clever right now.

Quote from October 2014.

13. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    I agree on both counts.

Onno

14. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    Yes, we are thinking in the same direction. If Button wouldn't have had that WDC he would be history already. That's how narrow it is in F1 between being one of the truly great and being one of the truly great that manages to take out a/many WDC.

15. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    Indeed far, far too early to be anointing him as the next coming, but still early enough to apoint him as just "another 'competent' jockey that will most likely have a decent career but never win a WDC" ;-)

16. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!

Good stuff Ian. Let's see how he goes in Monaco first

17. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Hulk is still one of the best drivers, nothing has changed. I would have loved Ferrari to hire him. Would definitely be worth a look if Kimi retires.

Agree with the rest of your post, though. How many "next Schumachers" have we had? Newsflash, there is only one Schumacher.

18. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    Ludicrous indeed, apart from the fact ofcourse that both Verstappen's karting and F3 performances are very "Schumacher/Senna-esque......

And now his F1 start isn't bad either....

And hey, what do people like Helmut Marko, Martin Brundle and Jan Lammers know about racing ;-)

19. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    Things have changed, Hulkenberg is already 28. And given Kimi's performance in the past couple of years (lost almost every qualifying and race of his teammate) vs. his salary; I think he's already retired. Never really understood why they got him back anyway.

Why pay the guy 12 to 15 million Euro's a year if you can get a world class youngster like Verstappen or Riccciardo for a fraction.

20. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I was referring to the Hulk, not baby Jos! ;)

I said I could very well see young Max as a WDC, possibly even multiple if the breaks go his way. I've read quite a lot of respected journo's and 'experts' and they all agree that the kid looks like the real deal.

He seems to be generating the same kind of 'buzz' that Ayrton in particular did on his way up. Except Ayrton served a more 'sensible' apprenticeship before landing a primo drive in F1.

But, this kind of hype has surrounded tens of them when they first burst on the scene. Only for their lamps to dim, if not extinguish as their careers progressed - My example was the Hulk. Sorry for the confusion.

Cheers,
    Ian

21. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Ian, the luck will be finding himself in the right race car - compare Fernando and Sebastien

22. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Sure, 100% agreed.

No matter how good you may be, a decent chunk of luck must come your way, at least early on in your career.

How you convert that luck to success is what separates the greats from the 'average' (for want of a better term). Consistently beating your 'mate, even in a POS, is a good start, even if you're battling for the hind tit as the Viz likes to say.

Some of them, Jimmy & Ayrton being but the most obvious, can simply get more from any car than others. I've noted before, I watched Ayrton from when he first got off the boat in the UK in FF, through F3 and on into F1. It was *obvious* we were looking at a rare talent.

*Maybe* young Max is the same, I haven't seen him 'live', but again, the 'experts' seem to think he's a once in a generation talent. Time will tell.

Cheers,
    Ian

23. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Kimi had 1 bad season, not ''last couple of years''. He's now right on the heels of a 4x WDC, at half price of said champion. Seems to me he's paid the right amount and most definitely he's not retired.

Ferrari won't (and shouldn't) gamble on a guy like Verstappen, because all he had was F3 experience and F1 performance would have been a question mark.

Ricciardo was under contract. I think the only other guy they where talking to was Hulk and he/his managers priced themselves out. Kimi was the guy they wanted for the money.

24. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    I'm not sure we could get either of them. They are under Red Bull's thumb. Unless Red Bull took its ball and went home, that is...

Hulk would be a fine addition to Ferrari. Guarantee he would come on for cheap compared to Kimi and I have zero doubt he could post the results Kimi has so far. 28 is still very young. I still see Vettel as young and he's 27. Ham is 30.

25. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Again, I think you misread what I wrote. I was referring to the Hulk, not young Max.

I agree, based on *very* early returns and what those who've seen him say, he looks like the real deal. There was one report (Bas can probably find it ;)) from, IIRC, an F3 race at Pau with details of how he was *visibly* faster into a critical section of the circuit - he was rotating the car in ways that none of the others were doing.

I wish him well, hopefully we are indeed witnessing the beginning of a glorious career.

Cheers,
    Ian