Engine noise this year... | FerrariChat

Engine noise this year...

Discussion in 'F1' started by itschris, Apr 14, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Has anyone noticed a slightly better engine sound this year? Either they're miking it better on the track or something's changed a bit. Granted it's certainly not V8 or v10 sound we all love, but it's hearing the low grumbles and pops and turbo is not horrible. I wish it was louder, but the cars seem to sound better this year.

2. toil

toil F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 23, 2014
    I think 'better' is simply perceived because we are getting used to how **** they sound. But when you play an old video and compare it to right now they still sound like ****.

3. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    basically, yes. I'm hoping it gets better somehow.

4. NJB13

NJB13 Formula 3

Jan 5, 2013
    Pampanga,Philippines
    Full Name:
    Norm
    Having attended my first race of the year at China, there is no perceptible difference in the engine sound.

5. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    So the Ferrari Challenge and Porsche Cup cars are still louder...

6. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    The Honda sounds somewhat decent, maybe because it isn't working properly.

7. NJB13

NJB13 Formula 3

Jan 5, 2013
    Pampanga,Philippines
    Full Name:
    Norm
    These engines could sound good in there own way. Higher revs will make a world of difference. Twin turbo would be good. Get rid of the hybrid carp :)

8. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    I think we get distracted with the sparks coming from bottom of the cars and we forget how crappy these engines sound.

9. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I wonder if they're just amping up the sound a bit in the broadcast because I went back and watched some highlight from last year and you can definately hear the grumbles and popping a bit more now. I wish they just let them rev to their max. That would certainly help.

10. mertini86

mertini86 Formula Junior

Oct 28, 2008
    Brussels / Istanbul
    Full Name:
    Mert Candarli
    +1

11. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    I have to admit, I do like the sparks.

I just don't understand why these motors are so quiet. A race engine with a monster turbo revving to 12,000 RPM should still be loud as hell. Surely there is something they can do?

12. JWeiss

JWeiss F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2010
    NYC and Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    JWeiss
    Verstappen's engine sounded great at the end of the race, eh? I was cringing at each replay. These things don't even know how to blow up proper.

13. gretel1011

gretel1011 Formula Junior

Feb 14, 2015
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom F
    At the 2013 race in Austin I damaged an eardrum watching FP with insufficient ear protection. Last year I didn't need ear protection at all. They don't sound different to me this year. Pretty tame.

14. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    :D

They just sort of "whimper" into submission it seems!

Few things compared to the terrible noise of a DFV "letting go" on a cold day at Silverstone..... Sucker *exploded*, and left no doubt. ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

15. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Nope. Still sounds like crap.

16. TurboFreak650

TurboFreak650 Formula 3

Jul 10, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    They must have designed the exhaust systems for maximum efficiency and compactness rather than to provide an exotic, exciting noise, which has always been a critical component of the F1 mystique. :eek:

Even a 4-cylinder street car with an unrestricted exhaust and turbo revving to 8000 rpm sounds monstrous!!!! It is truly an impressive feat of engineering for them to make racebred V-6s sound so awful. That wasn't the case in the '80s. The first step should be venting the wastegate(s) to the atmosphere and lowering the fuel consumption rate restrictions, thereby allowing them to use the full 15,000 revs they are capable of now, and more BOOST. Teams should also be allowed to choose if they want single or twin turbos and wastegates. In the '80s, you had everything from turbo I-4s to V-8s to the few souls that were slugging it out with 3.5L NA motors.

17. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    2017 1000hp V6 with higher revs. These should sound decent.

18. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Bring back Megatron and refueling!

19. gmbjr

gmbjr Karting

Dec 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    The TV folks figured out they better quit talking about how bad the sound sucks or they won't have an audience for long. This year, they got creative with how they set their mikes up. Bottom line, the live sound still sucks. A 355 sounds far superior and it only hits 8500 revs. This is a turbo issue not a rpm issue. Raising the revs will not fix the problem.

20. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    That's right, these turbos are effectively mufflers. As for sound on TV, all that is required is for a sound engineer to slide the volume up on the trackside mic channel...bingo louder engines. But the quality of the sound emitted by these power units is lacking compared to engines of the past, especially the V10s and V12s. Even the flat 6s in the Porsche 917s was mile better than these power units.

21. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    I think the issue is actually the hybrid tech quieting the engines down. That and they don't have wastegates that vent to the atmosphere as far as I know

Also, Porsche 917s were flat 12s IIRC. That said, even your run of the mill IMSA GT3 Flat 6 Porsche is much louder than a F1 car these days

22. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    You're right about the Porsche, I was thinking 907. As for the turbo...yes, this type turbo, absent wastegate, is a big centrifugal muffler. The fact that there is some electrical boost under acceleration may also reduce or change the noise, but my money is still on the turbo as a muffler.

23. junglistluder

junglistluder F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2007
    VA
    Full Name:
    Brendan
    The engines definitely sound better on tv to me this year!!

24. JJ

JJ F1 World Champ

Jan 6, 2010
    PA
    Full Name:
    If you like sound at an F1 race, hope for a safety car.

25. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    :D