One more year for Kimi? | FerrariChat

One more year for Kimi?

Discussion in 'F1' started by furoni, Apr 15, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Acording to Gazzetta dello sport seems like the Iceman will be staying with us for 2016...sure hope so!!!

Fra Ferrari e Raikkonen c'è tanta voglia di rinnovo

Team e pilota sono soddisfatti di questo inizio di stagione: nel contratto del finlandese c'è un'opzione per il 2016 e sul mercato non ci sono grandi alternative





Ascolta


    


    
    

15 aprile 2015 - Milano
    Le vittorie allungano la vita (sportiva). Ma anche una bella macchina e una grande fiducia da parte della squadra possono avere lo stesso effetto. Sembra che a Kimi Raikkonen sia capitato proprio questo. Il finlandese ha ritrovato la voglia che gli mancava un anno fa, complice una Ferrari nuovamente competitiva e un clima sereno nello spogliatoio, perciò sarebbe deciso a cancellare i propositi di ritiro e a continuare almeno un'altra stagione con la rossa.

2. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I like Kimi, but if he keeps regularly being blown by his team mates (Alonso last year and Vettel this year), I wonder if the Scuderia will not loose patience with him.

Vettel winning his second GP at Ferrari has set a benchmark that Kimi has been unable to equal.

3. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well William, if my memory of the 2007 season serves me well, Kimi actually won his FIRST race with Ferrari. So Vettel has not been able to equal this...

I guess the Scuderia is satisfied with him, and furthermore there is no "top-gun" not already under contract for 2016, and we all know what happened to Bianchi, who should have been driving for the Scuderia. In any case, I understand that the option has to be taken by Ferrari before June 30th; so the Scuderia has the initiative, it is up to them.

Rgds

4. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    I keep failing to see where Seb is clearly beating KImi.....from what i've seen they both have exacly the same pace.....

5. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    To be fair his race pace is more than reasonable compared to Vettel.

At Aus he was bloody fast but the Sauber ruined his day, did a great recovery and was on his way to beat Massa (who finished 4th) until the pitstop they forgot his tire.

Malaysia another tire slice, still finished 4th.

Shanghai no issues, was slightly held up with pitstops and finished right behind Vettel who he was catching at the end of the race before the SC.

Vettel is getting double the money from Ferrari and Kimi is right on his heels. Comparatively, a good performance per buck no?

6. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    If they change Kimi, they better find a faster guy than Vettel or it won't be an improvement over Kimi....any candidates? I sure can't see anyone....

7. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    You are right about 2007.

But since his return to the Scuderia, Kimi's results haven't been outstanding, have they?

He may well have shown flashes of his past talent, and his pace may look good at times, but his team mates have given better results overall - so far.

He was more convincing during his first year at Lotus after his come-back. Reports that he has title ambition for this year sound exaggerated to me.

8. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    I like the ice man. No politics, no bs. The guy is all about business.

9. jehu999

jehu999 Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2011
    Coastal Central Fl
    Full Name:
    James
  10. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Unless the car is utterly perfect he will not beat Vettel. IF they keep him thats ok of course. IF they release him I wont miss him as I did not miss him the first time.

He is over rated and has not fared well vs other Ferrari drivers. His results vs Grosjean made him look faster than he is. Last year was dreadful.

Notable but by no means is he a legend. He admits his qualifying habit of being slow on 1 lap is his problem. The first time ever he has taken responsibility for his faults as a driver. I was amazed to see this in the press last week.

11. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Max Verstappen? With voices of a Red Bull exit he might want to secure a safer place ...

More realistically between Perez (Mexican sponsors already at Ferrari), Bottas or the Hulk. Just please not Grosjean

12. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    He's blamed himself more than once. Just because you don't hear it doesn't mean this is the first time.

13. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Max Verstappen would be pretty awesome. Same for Bottas.

Perez is too unreliable. I was an early supporter of his but he's gone cold in recent years. Too many ups and downs, not consistent. Same goes for Hulk. Both are quick but will not win a title.

14. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I consider his best efforts were at McLaren, where he lost one possible title because of reliability, and Renault's superior tyre management. He benefited from infighting at McLaren to lift his title at Ferrari, by the slightest of margin.

Since, Kimi has proven sometimes dreadful in qualifs, although he hasn't been always been well served by his team. Being "bumped off" after Q3 because the team didn't send him out in time to improve his slot, "to save tyres" - (several times, if I recall), completely destroyed his chances of a strong finish and must have affected his morale too.

Added to this, his problems to adapt to a new car. There are flashes of genius, but they are few and far between these days.

Kimi is a likeable guy, slight unconventional, laconic and stratght-talking at the same time. That's why I like him too; but that's not enough to merit a drive. Kimi's performance this year will seal his fate at Ferrari, I think. He has already hinted that he wouldn't look for another drive. Didn't Alonso said that once?

15. DF1

+1 lets see Ferrari do something they rarely do. Take a not so experienced driver and groom him in the team for the future. Possibly might have been Bianchi but we will never know.

16. DF1

+1. Would be interesting to think of what an early title with Mclaren would have yielded in Kimi later. He was very very close except for that motor etc.

17. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I'm quite sure Bianchi was going to go in for 2016.

I think the most likely candidate is Bottas. Vettel to be top dog, collect some titles over the next 5-6 years and I can actually see Vettel retire relatively early. After that insert Verstappen. I don't think inserting a young guy with a point to prove is wise against a 4x (or more) champion, it'll just cause tension.

that said I very much welcome Verstappen into the team for a variety of reasons.

I do hope Kimi sticks with it for another season and can remain as close to Vettel as he is right now and have a few wins before he leaves.

18. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    This. Though i think Seb is much more of a leader and ultimately will be our guy. I couldn't imagine a better driver pairing than these two at the moment.

Kimi not beat Alonso was to me the team holding him back to appease Alonso.

19. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    I don't get the "Bottas love" sure he is good but no better than Massa, and many of those who say he would be good for Ferrari slamed felipe year after year...i can't simply understand the logic of it....

20. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    A good car tends to follow Kimi around when he joins a team. I doubt that its pure coincidence. Even if Vettel beats him every Race, I believe the Ferrari will be faster with Kimi in the seat.

21. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    rmani: "the team holding back Kimi to appease Alonso"? Really? The same Alonso that they canned toward the end of the season? Weren't trying to appease him then, were they? I find your theory to be entertaining but highly implausible.

22. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

+1

23. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    that's what I was just thinking.

24. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani

Any more implausible than coercing a young team mate to crash so alonso would get a race win?

25. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Look at it this way, his back is already broken so won't feel the pain of being a Ferrari's second driver