VW group could enter F1 now boss quits | FerrariChat

VW group could enter F1 now boss quits

Discussion in 'F1' started by Jackie and bill, Apr 25, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Domenicali back?

2. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Could - is the operative. This is far from sorted. F1 itself needs sorting before attracting the VW behemoth. This will not happen at all swiftly, if ever as the VW family does quite well without F1.

3. Mulehead

Mulehead Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2012
    No way anyone will enter f1 with its ratings . The racing is horrible the cars are slow and sound like shop vacuum cleaner . Redbull wants out but can not sell uncle Ron can't find any money with honda in the car . FIA has killed this great sport they go green and have lights on in the desert for three nights what a joke

4. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    It took some balls for the VW board to push back on Piech. He has never been known for forgiving, forgetting, or taking prisoners. Some of us figured he would die at his desk. I was quite surprised to learn that he had quit.

5. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Volkswagen would be mad to enter F1 in the present condition, when it already has so many successful programmes outside it.

There would be no safe return for any kind of investment in F1 with already 3 major manufacturers involved.

F3, DTM, WRC, WRC2, WEC are the disciplines where VW is already successful

6. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I remember reading (if the article/quote has relevance) that the VW Group, as a entity, has no desire to bleed money for a F1 team as a engine or chassis supplier.

7. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Ferdinand Piech, like his grand father Ferdinand Porsche, was a great engineer in his own right, although some said he was a bully with people working with him. When he arrived in the racing department at Porsche, he modernised it into a top team. He made bold decisions, and we owe him the 917 and its derivatives, that lifted Porsche's endurance and CanAm ambitions to another level. The car was so good that it got banned!
    Porsche became a dominant sport cars and GT player under his rule: 936, 952, 962, etc....
    Later, Piech presided over the whole Porsche road car range and production and demand increased tremendously under his stewardship. He was definitely the "blue eyes boy" of the family company.

8. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Bad idea for VW. Bad idea for F1.

9. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Considering the resources the VW Group already spreads around motorsports and the contracts already signed this would be a poor idea at this point in time. I would like to see another manufacturer enter F1 but I question the commitment VW could offer at this point in time or just become another "has been".

10. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    What F1 needs right now isn't yet another manufacturer coming with its own agenda, but one or two independent engine builders like Cosworth, HART, or Judd providing affordable power units to private teams on an equal basis.

F1 used to thrive when the DFV was available over the counter to anyone; it allowed newcomers to get a foothold in F1 without an astronomical budget and to concentrate on building a team.

But for that to happen, most car manufacturers have to get out and take their inflated budget with them.

11. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    +1

12. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Unlikely but which marque?

Volkswagen...not likely
    Bentley ...possibly
    Audi...possible but less likely
    Bugatti...not likely
    porsche...likely

13. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Lambo
    Btw I'd love to see VW in the mix rather than Marussia

14. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Volkswagen is already involved in WRC. But it is the most popular brand in the VAG group. Less than 50% chances IMO.

Bentley? Its tradition is with long distance events. Now in GT. The return for Bentley in F1 would be minimal. A non-starter in my book.

AUDI, is still involved in endurance, and also GT, and looks likely to maintain its presence there. The reason for AUDI in motorsport is technical development; the WEC regulations suit AUDI, the F1 rules would frustrate it immensely.

Bugatti? Another non-starter, I believe. Bugatti is just a costly indulgence for VW. Like maintaining an expensive flagship that stays in harbour.

Porsche. The GT stalwart competitor, making a come back in endurance. Unlikely to divert its effort just after making a strong commitment. Porsche's last F1 involvement (with Footwork) ended in failure. A return would not be justified.

But there are also

Lamborghini, living in the wing of Audi and closely supervised by its management. Lambo is in GT, and would be an unlikely standard-bearer for the VW group.

Skoda, competing in WRC. The studious Czech firm living in VW orbit and churning out sensible cars. Not a chance.

SEAT. Spanish made in Spain with attractive styling (I think). SEAT is loosing money and would hardly be favourite in the VW group to enter F1.

15. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Given the complexity of the current PU, with its 5 main components and attendant controlling software, it would be virtually impossible for any manufacturer that did not have enormous resources to compete. Without first simplifying the technical specs, there is no hope of a Cosworth of Judd emerging. It is not the ICE that makes these PUs so expensive, it is all the other systems, the majority of which would not be built or supplied by these independents. To my knowledge only Honda make their own turbo (just because I don't know who makes it), and I don't believe any of them make the electrical storage units.

16. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    But how can you compare the second world car manufacturer with a small private team constantly on the brink of disaster?

When a firm like VW enter any competition, it bring with it large resources but also huge expectations.

When a bunch of racing enthusiasts reach F1, any result is a success.

VW would be expected to win a championship almost immediatly, or leave the arena with the tail between its legs, like Toyota, or ... Honda in its last incarnation.

For Manor, finishing a GP is judged a good result and scoring a point is an achievment!

17. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

But it could be said that these technical complexities have been brought by the manufacturers themselves and the regulations drawn at their request too.
    In fact we have been told that their participation in F1 would only be achieved if they were allowed to run their pet projects on the track.

Remove the big manufacturers with their inflated budgets and almost unlimited R & D resources and staff, and I am sure some sanity would come back in F1!
    F1 technical rules could be significantly simplified if the principle of relevance was put aside.

I am sure that independent engine builders and private teams will one day be left to pick up the pieces of F1, once the big boys will be tired of their toys and decide to leave the sandpit. F1 don't need car manufacturers to survive; that's a false notion spread by Bernie Ecclestone, and it is ruining the sport.

18. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    I do not know why Lamborghini would make sense, the current PU structure of V6 turbo with hybrid is the antithesis of Lamborghini and their naturally aspirated engines.

19. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    Maybe they have finally grown sick of putting F1 levels of money into WEC teams that nobody watches and when they win it gets less media attention than Hamilton's bulldog.

F1 will be better for having them enter. I hope it happens.

20. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    +1

At least someone knows its cars !

21. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Was reported this winter that there was an idea from VW to make a Lambo team out of Toro Rosso.

22. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    The man speaks the truth.

The question is whether or not there'll be any thing to pick up when MB et al take their ball and go home.

There are indications that JT and the FIA are looking to set up a new open wheel series. This may be the future.

23. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

That could only be to p*** off Ferrari in their backyard !!

The last Lamborghini foray in F1 didn't cover itself in glory, although it must be said that it was a second thought to make use of an engine designed for a third party.

Ask Nicola Larini about it !!

24. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Forgive my ignorance, but I am agonizing to know who's JT !