Iran f1?? Well i aint going :) | FerrariChat

Iran f1?? Well i aint going :)

Discussion in 'F1' started by Jackie and bill, May 4, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jackie and bill

Jackie and bill Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2014
    GB
    Full Name:
    William
  2. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I have an Iranian friend, he says all is it not what it seems/reads...I wouldn't know, but he says I would love it there skiing...

3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I think it would be dangerous for any Americans to go. Too many people locked up as spies there.

4. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I just can't help but think it's a recipe for tragedy in the making. I can just foresee some ruler of some ministry ordering the slaughter of "insert whomever here."

At the very least, you'll have some holding of drivers for some violation an impounding of the assets.. something. How would they ever even pass the new human rights mandate?

5. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I have great respect the the Persian people. I have no respect for the thugs and ideologues who rule Iran today and those who support its islamo facist regime.

F-1 has no place in Iran of today. Irans policy on Sponsoring Terrorism, its deplorable record on human rights, women, gays, and in general its death to America ( and the west) slogans and propaganda is totally out of what F1 means / is.

lets say they do build the track and pay Bernie the fees + some... how will the sponsors look supporting a race in this intolerant terrorist sponsoring country?

Bernie and the girls will look great in a birka's.

6. piolaxo

piolaxo Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2012
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Salvador
    What's next a GP in North Korea?

7. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    An Iranian dessert island in the Straits of Hormuz? Next F1 stop the Gulag Archipelago!

8. Renman57

Renman57 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2014
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Reynolds
    Not watching.

9. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Well, their women are beautiful :)

10. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Up to this point Saudi Arabia fits....

11. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    #11 Flavio_C, May 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2015
    Come on guys, too much exaggeration here. I have an American friend who have been to Iran as tourist (using his other passport) and found it to be a very cool place with a welcoming people. A Formula 1 race in Iran would be awesome in so many ways!

12. Jackie and bill

Nov 29, 2014
    GB
    Full Name:
    William
    "Using his other passport" you say? Cool :)
    Please report back about how welcoming they are when he uses his "American" passport ;)

13. rotaryrocket7

rotaryrocket7 Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2011
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Iran has an interesting dichotomy, the political/religous leadership are much more hard lined and present an image to the world that isn't the reality for all of the citizenry. Many younger Iranian women for example seek education and opportunity but are met with resistance (Dan Rather Report on HDN from a few years back). It might be a good thing for more world culture to find its way into Iran...however that said, the election outcomes and tamping down by the Gov't was certainly a pretty dire situation and makes me believe that a F1 race in Iran, while overall positive, would be a TV attendance opportunity for me.

14. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Spot on

15. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    I don't know that for a country investing so much in carbon free nuclear energy, motorsport is a good idea. What about their reputation? ;)

16. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Sorry but it's no exaggeration.

17. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    Check out "Tehran Café Racers" in the Middle East forum. Some serious car guys there.

18. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Re. Iran.

We should build bridges with this country, instead of isolating it.

The best way to get people on your side is to engage with them and sport is an excellent mean for this. Remember Nixon sending table-tennis players in China: that was a diplomatic brealthrough.

Bans, boycotts, sanctions and other form of hostilities are pointless and in the end counter-productive. If Iran can afford a GP, why not? That may open doors and lower the tension with this country.

I am all for it.

19. Jackie and bill

Nov 29, 2014
    GB
    Full Name:
    William
    I can understand that william. I will go after you go first, be a man of your convictions, be a ferrari chat pioneer :)
    I will look out for you on the tv screen, you should be easy to spot flying your union jack flag :D

20. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Yah well it would help if they didn't have weekly "death to America" demonstrations. That might just start a bridge you know. If the USA had "death to Iran" rallies, I'm guessing a lot of Iranians wouldn't feel to comfortable to come to the Austin F1.

I'm not trying to get all P and R here but it's a matter of fact that Americans are locked up in Iran for doing nothing. It's well documented -- and "counter-productive" as you say.

21. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Efforts must come from boith sides, but there is nothing wrong in making the first step.
    It's often seen as a sign of strength and self-confidence.

That's my opinion anyway.

22. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    China in the 1960s was no great friend of the USA, if you'll recall...

23. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

And neither was Cuba ... until recently.

It makes you wonder what all these sanctions and isolation measures against Cuba were for.
    In the end, the heads of states shake hands and things go back to normal.

24. sammysaber

sammysaber Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2011
    As an Iranian, having London, England, as my home, I'd just like to reiterate a few things already said without turning this tread into a political discussion -so I'll get to the point :

I understand the apprehension especially from some U.S. members, but the reality is rather different from what we see in the media.

Bottom line is that I disagree with US Foreign Policy (if they have one) but I have a Gibson guitar, like my Four Roses Bourbon, visit Carneghie's Deli once a year, wife is nuts about Blake Shelton, and probably half my friends are American. We might have major issues with our respective countries' policies but we never have issues on a personal level.

Also Qeshm Island, where the GP is supposed to be held, has its own international airport - kind of like visiting Hawaii without having to go through Washington DC - just a holiday /tourist destination without having to visit the mainland.

The Iranian government will be using this event as a PR exercise, and they would have gained much more publicity having detained US drivers (all zero of them) rather than hounding US F1 fans passively enjoying a sport. Plenty of unofficial US sports teams have visited without any issue. Seriously, google it and you can see that sport events have been taking place under the Obama adminstration without any issues.

IMO if Bahrain can have one, so can Iran you'd have thought.

If it'll ever happen in the first place........

Best,
    Sammy

25. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Can I safely wear all my crucifixes and Christian t-shirts?