Bottas to replace Raikkonen... | FerrariChat

Bottas to replace Raikkonen...

Discussion in 'F1' started by ricksb, May 4, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    In 2017, according to sources. Arrivabene isn't denying the reports:

Ferrari boss Maurizio Arrivabene has fueled speculation that the Italian squad may be interested in Valtteri Bottas, not ruling out hiring the Finn in the future.

But Arrivabene insists that Kimi Raikkonen is likely to continue at Ferrari in 2016 if he keeps on performing like up until now.

"If he continues like this, we will extend for another year," Arrivabene was quoted as saying by Bild.

"But performance alone is only one thing - I also like how he (Raikkonen) and Seb [Vettel] work together.

"They even sometimes travel together, so these are things that do influence a decision."

The Italian spoke following speculation that Bottas may already have inked a 'pre-agreement' with Ferrari to move from Williams at the end of the season.

Finnish sources played down those reports, but it has been suggested that Ferrari wants Bottas for 2017, after taking up the option to keep Raikkonen for next year.

When asked if Bottas had signed a pre-agreement already for the 2017 season, Arrivabene said: "I promised in the pre-season that I would never lie to you (the media), but for this question it is too early to give a precise answer."

Arrivabene said Ferrari would want a young talent if the team was to replace Raikkonen.

2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Yep. The end of the road for Kimi. Bottas is a good driver though.

3. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Bottas is probably the most overrated driver on the grid.

4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Explain please.

5. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    I'm just not impressed. Sure he's decent, but good enough to race for Ferrari? What has he really done? A few podiums last year in the second best car? Massa seems to be just as fast as he is this year. He was also beaten 9-5 by Pastor Maldonado in races they both finished in 2013.

I guess he would make a fine #2, but people on here talk about him as a future WDC or something and I'm not seeing it

6. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

+1 and Checo was going to save the Scuderia as well. I like Bottas but he has not been doing an FA up the grid with the Williams. Good driver..........yes - the next diety in F1? Not so fast.

7. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau
    Alonso would be a better bet !

8. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Yes mostly because a very good car last year and felippe massa which Is no more the massa before his accident.
    I prefer kimi for two more years instead.

9. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Bottas has only had the Williams drive for 2 years - and in general he has done well. if he had a top flight car - he may be spectacular - then again may not.

I like him as a character - he seems to be a pretty quick driver. I think it could be a good fit with him and Vettel

10. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Massa has been driving fantastic since mid last year. Really in his element and at his very best since 2008. Gets along great with the team. Bottas matches him currently, he certainly isn't slow.

Having another driver in the team that will match vettel all day long is a high risk move. Kimi + Vettel get along great, which is great, but the chance of that happening again is not very high. A situation like ham + Alonso, or Senna + prost, or last years ham + Rosberg...it's terrible for team atmosphere.

A very strong #2 is what's needed next for Ferrari, when Kimi goes.

2017 is good for me.

11. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    IMO Kimi will pick up the pace enough to get another years renewal

12. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Massa is one point ahead of Bottas. Looks like he is another Massa at this point. He may develop but i would think SF would be looking for a driver who is much better. Didn't Ricciardo take Vettel to school? That would be my choice i think.

13. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    #13 Igor Ound, May 4, 2015
    Last edited: May 4, 2015
    Maybe Shell will bring Verstappen
    Or Santander, Sainz
    Or Carlos Slim, Perez

Wonder who'll end up at Haas too

Btw, has Hamilton's contract been renewed? Arrivabene had to tell for the millionth time that he is not desired at Maranello ATM, contrary to the voices probably his Showbiz managers are putting out. They're rappers, nonetheless, so no wonder they're pushing for Ferrari, possibly with 23 inch rims and spinners. ;)

14. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    I dislike rap music and the whole image but that statement is wrong.

15. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    My team it would be Ricci, fitting the bill as a young rising star...

16. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Can't wait for Bottas in the Ferrari

17. toil

toil F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 23, 2014
    I don't think bottas has got it tbh. Looked alright last year but seems very average against massa. And as we know massa got doninated by alonso

18. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    Pretty sure if ferrari keep progressing kimi will have his last year in 2016. Hope he can go out at least near the top.

Im indifferent to bottas but he doesn't seem that impressive

19. DF1

LH is self managed. He left the entertainment focused management group some-time ago.

20. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Well, he made the move to Merc at the right time when many thought he was crazy. Maybe he can drive AND attend to business details as well. Time will tell.

21. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
  22. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Iirc Fuller from XiX entertainment got him his first contract at Mercedes and Lauda was pissed of having to deal with them

23. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Yeah, spinners went out of fashion years ago! No self respecting rapper is running spinners anymore, it's all about the black wheels and looking sinister as ****!

24. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    I don't see why Kimi must be replaced next year. Assuming he carries his early form well into the season, it doesn't make sense to replace him.

Bottas, well, i don't think he did anything spectacular for him to be in a Ferrari seat. I'd rather take Danny Boy, or even Mad Max.

25. DF1

No pardon - BBC Sport - Lewis Hamilton: Mercedes driver ready for 'hard' contract talks

World champion Lewis Hamilton says he knows his "worth" as he prepares for contract talks with Mercedes.

The Englishman, who has a salary of $31m, plans to negotiate his own deal for the first time after severing ties with his management company last year.

Hamilton says he is a "rookie" in this area but told BBC Sport: "I am 30 now. I am my own man. I know my worth."

Out of contract at the end of 2015, the former McLaren driver says he wants to remain with the team run by Toto Wolff.

"I have read every one of my contracts in the past so I know what is and what can't go and what I can try to get," Hamilton added.

"It is going to be hard. Toto is a big businessman and is great at negotiating and he is up against a rookie, but I have good grounds for it.

"I can't say I am particularly excited about it, but I like that I am doing them on my own.

"No-one's helping. But of course I can reach out to people for advice."