This is getting silly - Toxicity, trolls, noise.... | FerrariChat

This is getting silly - Toxicity, trolls, noise....

Discussion in 'F1' started by Fast_ian, May 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Hey,

So, we now have the site owner closing the single most popular thread on the site (probably, based on views) and calling us all "children".

We have folks slinging mud/crow/**** back & forth ad-nauseum.

The signal to noise ratio here has fallen thru the floor.

Which is a shame. And, as far as I can see, is basically all down to a solitary user whose blinkers are so tight it really is driving away other, valued, posters.

Criticizing non-native English speakers on their spelling or command of the language is, to me at least, the absolute definition of trolling.

As I've noted many times, diverse opinions are always welcome and the basis of healthy debate - One of the main reasons (most of us?) choose to post here.

But claiming "LH would wipe the floor with JYS" is beyond incredulous.

We had a good thing going for a long time - (Mostly) intelligent debate on the sport we love. But this *constant* bickering has got really, really old.

I don't know how to fix F1, but I do have an idea of how "we" can improve the forum. But I better not say anything more as no doubt some whiner will report me again.....

Cheers,
    Ian

2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    The moderators have been aware of the ''problem'' for some time and given us advice how to solve it. I know I've followed their advice and I'm sure some others have as well. We have him admitting to baiting, and continues insults to, as you also mention, a non english speaking person, solely based on him not being able to speak English 100% correct.

We'll see how they'll treat the current situation.

As you say the F1 forum has been great for many years, we enjoy(ed?) leniency from the mods, they turned a blind eye in the F1 section until it was really necessary for them to give out warnings.

3. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    #3 Ney, May 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    Expressing an opinion is one thing, insulting people is a whole different story. We come to this site to exchange information and opinions with each other. Once this site becomes the tool for some people to vent out their own psychological issues, then this site doesn't serve its purpose. My 2 Cents.

5. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I see it a bit different, it takes two...or many as the case maybe.

After all it is a sport when all is said and done, and we as fans have our favorites ect, so no harm in that even if they drive for the enemy, OTT fans can be tiresome yes, but saying that just ignore, because one thing I abhor is gang mentality.

So IMO it is up to the Mods to decide whether or not a poster has stepped over the line or not, not us! The ignore button and troll alert buttons are there for a reason, not that I have used them...I use self control, it's that simple.

To do otherwise is undermining the Mods, to which in all intent and purposes they seem fair IMO, otherwise the simplest option is to close threads, and at least to me, that is not what a forum is about ...

6. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    F1 forum has more than one user misbehaving. Sacking toil is not the answer.

7. barbazza

barbazza Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 10, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    How about at least a simple reprimand for ridiculing another user's spelling simply because it isn't up to his lofty standards? This is an international site with many valuable contributions coming from non-native English speakers. Instead nothing happens. Not to mention others being referred to as idiots or moronic.

8. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Its in retaliation John, he is being baited, that is the problem otherwise something would be done about it...

9. barbazza

barbazza Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 10, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    That would be fine if those he's baited didn't get bans. Seems a bit one sided.

10. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    Make it a private discussion in the subscribed forums. Then you can have an educated debate without the non subscribers here to cause trouble. There are a few from both sides that feed it, but its becoming more prevalent. Every single discussion turns into a pissing match between the same 5-6 people over and over.

11. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Differences of opinion, even heated, can be acceptable....But it always seems to come down to one individual making a forum his very own punchbowl to crap in. It has happened in the F1 section in the past (Senna3XWC springs to mind), Agent Penguin, muirasv over in vintage and the list goes on.

A garden can be a good environment for growth, but weeding is essential, otherwise it bears no fruit...

12. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Like me I think he has been cut some slack by the powers that be, because of the aforementioned..

13. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Speaking as a user, not a mod: most people who think someone else is a troll and a troublemaker are themselves making trouble.

Speaking as a mod: if y'all want this place polite and gentlemanly, I can make it happen. Y'all probably won't like the results, and most of you won't be here when we're done. Be ~certain~ you understand for what you are asking.

14. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    But banning long term, good subscribers, good contributors is the answer?

People who have been around for years with almost no bans suddenly getting banned might indicate a further problem.

15. barbazza

barbazza Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 10, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Must be my upbringing. When my brother and I fought as kids we'd both get slapped regardless of who started it. ;)

16. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Ditto..;)

17. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Step 1. Put whoever you consider a troll on ignore.

Step 2 Put whoever repeatedly quotes and argues with who you consider trolls on ignore.

Step 3 Enjoy some peace.

18. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Amen to that.

19. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Some of those "good contributors" actually have their own long report sheet within the mod forum. People are getting bans because of multiple offenses and repeatedly bad behavior. Even those "good contributors" who maybe aren't that good after all.... Just saying

20. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hahaha I'll give it a whirl..;)

21. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    That's different if they were a constant problem or have a history. I'm not being specific, I'm being general. There are members on both sides of the Hamilton debate that have ruined it. It's just constant nonsense over and over and over again with the same stupid arguments. I stopped responding and have multiple people on ignore. Its definitely easier to view, but it also ruins the integrity of the forum, IMO.

22. barbazza

barbazza Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 10, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Now imagine if you were the only one getting slapped despite the fact he had done his own share of instigating. Would't be very fair would it? :)

23. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    Thank god for SOME moderation in here. The bickering in here is beyond childish.

Mark

24. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    Dont you guys know there's an ignore button. Trying using it as it serves me well on here

25. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    +1!