Hope Audi replaces Renault | FerrariChat

Hope Audi replaces Renault

Discussion in 'F1' started by F2003-GA, Jun 14, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    I highly doubt it. If Renault really leaves, it reflects what a disaster the new rules have been on F1. It was supposed to be to woo in manufacturers, not chase them away

2. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Why not race under Porsche or Lamborghini though? Since we are really talking VW here right? I'd prefer to see those brands vs Audi personally.

3. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Why replace? I´d prefer to add.

Although VW is a terrible adversary, probably worse than Mercedes: they have unlimited funds and they´ve shown in the past that they´re nasty when playing politics.

4. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Renault as a brand has zero sex appeal - Whereas Audi v Mercedes v Ferrari v McLaren
    Sounds much more exciting that Renault and Red Bull being in the mix and thats just IMO

5. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Renault has tradition and success in Formula 1. Also the more, the merrier.

6. NJB13

NJB13 Formula 3

Jan 5, 2013
    Pampanga,Philippines
    Full Name:
    Norm
    That's what they said when they added HRT, Larry and Mo :)

7. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    You have probably all heard of the re-organization now underway a VW corporate. Volkswagen, Seat and Skoda under one head. Audi, Ducati and Lamborghini under seperate direction, Porsche, Bugatti and Bentley under a third. Trucks under a fourth. Looks like the Audi/Lamborghini/Ducati brand could lend itself to a new lightweight F1 motor (speculation on my part).

8. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Makes sense

9. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Of course, Audi has little left to prove in the prototype class. Where to go from there? Continue dominating or move up? Moving up would be the natural progression.

However, with Porsche's victory at Le Mans this past weekend, Audi has a new challenge in prototypes...

CW

10. Hollywood-GP

Hollywood-GP Karting

Jun 15, 2015
    Interesting that they are seriously considering a works team, perhaps behind the scenes Renault believes that they can do a better job then either of the Red Bull teams. I wonder if Renault blames the teams for all the problems they have had this season.

11. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I didn't know that actually - thanks for sharing.

12. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    My bet is if Renault doesn't buy Toro Rosso as they're more interested in Lotus/Total anyway, Audi will and call it Lambo

13. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    #14 Kiwi Nick, Jun 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
    But Porsche, Bentley and Bugatti all have GP history. Only Audi can make that claim, not Lambo or Ducatti.

That said I like your line of thinking, except that the current PU specs are so tightly drawn that there are only marginal gains that a "new" manufacturer can bring. VW are much better off to wait for the next formula to consider getting in. My guess is that Renault gets out, Merc continues to dominate, Ferrari gets close but never quite catches up and Honda will continue to be a single team laggard.

14. qwertstnbir

qwertstnbir Formula 3

Jul 14, 2013
    I hope all top teams will leave F1, we need new series with naturally aspirated engines.

15. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    What Le Mans proved - its not the hybrids or turbocharging, or energy recovery systems, or lack of V16's that are a problem.

The two singles biggest issues, are a tire designed to break up from heat, and an engine with a flat fuel rate limit.

Next to that, although for budget reasons, lack of ability to develop the lump.

Allow different size fuel tanks, refueling or no refueling at a team's discretion, return to a tire war, remove the fuel flow limit, and if you do restrict fuel, limit the amount for a race.

16. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Bentley in GP racing?

When?

17. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    If you look at pre 1950 GP history - Bentley and Bugatti all had cars that race in Grand Prix events...

Both Porsche and Bugatti - had Post 1950 GP Cars - both were basically failures - Porsche did win one GP with Dan Gurney...

I think Audi has such a firm place in Prototypes that it may make sense to stay there ... but do an LMP2 car as well as LMP 1 with Porsche...

I'd go in as Bugatti F1 - there is ZERO down side to not winning right away, and if its really successful you can build another Ferrari type marketing merchandize empire. & Personally i htink it would be cool to have another historic name back in F-1 - Just like Lotus coming back ( even if its not the real one.)

Or go in as Auto Union - which is still held by Audi as a defunct company.

Bentley with its new "sports" car could also be an alternative - perhaps as an engine supplier.

Going in as Lamborghini can also work - but again if you dont succeed right away does it turn off people against Lambo vs. Ferrari? - prob not.

Ideally you could position your self as:
    1. A full factory team branded as you like
    2. Sell customer engines under both Lamborghini, Bentley or Ducatti
    3. Sell customer Chassis under Auto Union or Porsche brands...

18. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Which events did Bentley contest?
    AFAIK there was no factory racing once Rolls Royce took over.

19. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    Unless FIA get their act together and allow in-season testing/development, it will be brand suicide for any engine manufacture to enter the sport under today's rules.

20. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Not convinced Audi will want to dilute it's WEC credentials with a potentially risky and likely disastrous F1 entry… Lambo on the other hand would make a viable option.

21. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Renault should leave.
    Pete

22. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    There are diminishing returns for Audi winning so many times in a row, bringing Porsche into Le Mans, and then Audi into F1, may make marketing sense.

Audi's per race budget is probably a lot higher in the WEC. Although, less races.

23. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Ouch, touché.

To be fair: it´s not just Renault, the Red Bull chassis is crap too, their poor sibling Toro Rosso with same engine and driven by newbies is quite often close to them.

24. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    The reason I understand VW Group bought Ducati was to get the high power light weight engine technology. This year's Moto GP combination is doing pretty well. And its my understanding from a past life that the Agnelli family through its investment arm owns a portion of Piaggio. But I am to confirm any financial connection today.