Future F1 Renders by Andries Van Overbeeke | FerrariChat

Future F1 Renders by Andries Van Overbeeke

Discussion in 'F1' started by Ney, Jun 17, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    #1 Ney, Jun 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
    McLaren-Honda Formula 1 Concept with closed cockpit - Album on Imgur

Will tick some off here with the canopy. Seems to recall the F92 with the raised sidepods which did not work well IIRC, but certainly interesting. Smaller front wings, but the rear wing is still pretty large, so aero balance may be suspect. Click the bottom to load the rest of the photos...

Guy does some nice Solidworks work...

2. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Just eliminate the driver and turn them into drones and the cycle of F1 will be complete.

3. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    car looks nice.....

4. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    The red and white paintwork is already banned as it's blatantly a rolling Marlboro advert!

You would have to add air-con to the car to counteract the green house effect of the canopy (Would you fancy driving a full GP in the heat of Malaysia/Bahrain/Abu Dhabi etc., etc., sat inside that bubble?)

The canopy will cause a delay for a driver to get out/be extracted in the event of a roll over accident.

And, the canopy in the wet would be a major safety hazard with no wiper on it! (and once it's coated in a layer of oil/race debris, rain on it will make the visibility pretty much zero!)

The future of F1? - I seriously doubt it!

5. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    If you're a design student and want to stir discussions with your otherwise uninspired F1 designs which have most likely no engineering foundation whatsover, put some canopies on them ;)

6. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

While there's some "nice" rendering, there's nothing "stunning" or "advanced" there at all IMO.

And given the (admittedly little ;)) I know of aero these days, they mostly look like *huge* lift generators to me - OK, that could be countered with the wings, but at big cost of added drag...... I very much doubt these have been run thru any CFD programs, let alone a real tunnel.

Cheers,
    Ian

7. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    I like it. As long as there are fast, loud and not easy to drive.

8. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    It would be hot as hell in there. Especially racing in Asia

9. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    +1000

10. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Cool looking car!

But NO CANOPIES!

Good points for 4rePhill.

I just think the danger, challenge, and thrill of having your head exposed is part of the formula and the risk the drivers know they are taking.

11. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I don't see a canopy ever on an F1 car. What do you do if the car turns over in kitty litter or it gets jammed in an accident? Does the driver fry under the bubble? What about a fire? Can he jump out just as fast?

I see nothing but problems.

12. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    I don't like canopies, but compared to what we have now, those are utter works of art!!!!!

Mark

13. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    We may like them or not for aesthetical reasons, but canopies would be safer, no doubt.

Sports cars have canopies (almost) and they´re doing fine; actually their intention is to ban all open cars for safety reasons. Even road cars with gullwing doors now have auto-detachable hinges to get out in case of turn over.

14. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    They would definitely have to add additional tech to make the car do things automatically in the case of a lot of incidents to free the driver. Which, for anyone that works in computers or systems, has to be a little scary. Especially since, presumably, a crash has just happened which might render those safety systems inactive.

It's sort-of like NFL football. There is only so much safety you can have with 250lb men throwing themselves at each other. 200mph cars - same deal.

15. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    I've seen some cool renderings lately and this isn't one of them.

16. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    But the form of those cars is a lot different than a single-seater. I would also say that some of those panels are also so flimsy they are almost decoration. I do think it is a little insane to have open-prototypes racing on the same tracks like they do in these endurance races. Specifically because of how easily some of those cars rip apart and leave debris in the smallest collision. Did you see that Audi come apart at Le Mans? Someone kicks up those panels into the head of a prototype driver and it is lights out!

17. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    See? No one really discusses the mediocre design, everyone discusses the canopies ;) Only waiting for a Jalopnik headline "THIS IS OFFICIAL: 2020 F1 CARS" :rolleyes: