How bad is it for you when... | FerrariChat

How bad is it for you when...

Discussion in 'F1' started by TheMayor, Jun 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    ....Even a 20 place grid penalty isn't enough?

Alonso facing drive-through penalty

Fernando Alonso could be hit with a drive-through penalty at the Austrian GP as the McLaren driver has a 20-place grid penalty.

On Thursday it emerged that the Spanish would face a penalty as Honda needed to change his power unit.

More details of that have now been revealed.

Needing a new Internal Combustion Engine, Turbo Charger and MGU-H, Alonso's penalties have added up.

Coming to a total of 20, the double World Champion is facing either a time penalty or a drive-through as it is unlikely he will be able to take the full 20-place drop.

2. Sellnit

Sellnit Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2010
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    James
    At some point in time you have to feel for the guy....even if you don't like him or Maca.

3. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    #3 Jack-the-lad, Jun 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
    The technical rules and sporting regulations are equally idiotic. This seems to be a sport with a death wish.....

4. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

You are not wrong there: I have never seen anything like if.

That, and the penalties dished by the stewards are really the pit.

5. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Perhaps they should have him start on 3 wheels and then pit for the 4th after the start....

The reg is stupid to penalize a car out of the race before it even starts. They may as well simply use it for a test session

6. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    For the first time ever I wouldn't mind if the sport folded

7. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    The FIA and the fans know that Honda and Renault are struggling with the stupid new rules. Instead of helping them out of this, they are basically kicking them even when they are down.

Such silly, stupid rules, and you wonder why F1 isn't popular anymore. SHould F1 close down tomorrow, i will never miss it. Not one bit.

8. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Same happened to Verstappen last race.

I think it's idiotic to penalize drivers this much for things that are so completely out of their hands.

I think the entire Red Bull outfit (including STR) are also starting on the back row. I don't see anything gained by this.

F1 doing a solid job running themselves into the ground at lightning speed.

9. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I think it's even sadder that we are lamenting these cars getting penalties, and unlike other years, we can't even have thoughts of 'it will be fantastic to watch them cutting through the traffic', cos it's not a race even at the front, so anything other than a Williams, Ferrari or Mercedes starting at the back is unlikely to trouble tenth place, and hence, it's a non-event on the excitement scale too

10. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Quite why f1 teams are not allowed to use whatever spare parts they need I don't know, they should be able to decide on what they use themselves, engines, gearboxes, tyres, so what, use what you like as far as I'm concerned. What if Renault or McLaren get to the last few races and have penalties in every race, and it costs them places on the constructors? That is going to cost teams potentially millions

11. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    What makes this all so ridiculous is its the teams themselves that voted for this rubbish set of tech regs and rules. The sooner that responsibility is taken away from them the better. Muppets

12. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    It was designed to help fix the costs. Develop an engine, lock it in, and build a set production run. You needed to build an engine that would last X number of races, rather than super light one race specials.

13. NJB13

NJB13 Formula 3

Jan 5, 2013
    Pampanga,Philippines
    Full Name:
    Norm
    Not yet for me. Call it karma or justice finally catching up with McLaren but AFAIC I'd love both Marussias to finish ahead of a McLaren on the track.

14. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    I suspect this week end the Manor cars will most definatley finish ahead of Mclaren, the Honda engine is going backwards, any upgrade seems to be having a negative effect on the little reliability Honda had.

15. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    But if you can't afford f1, don't be in it. Those that can't afford to buy a Ferrari don't buy them, they buy other cars, same in the pinnacle of racing. I'd rather see 16 ultimate race cars than 16 plus a few stragglers getting in the way

16. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Agreed.

If testing were allowed, this would not happen so often.

17. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    +1, and if Alonso's car catch fire twice that won't be enough either.....

18. SWB

SWB Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2006
    Toronto & Ottawa
    Full Name:
    Seth
    +1 F1 is not for the weak of heart nor for the weak of wallet. Get rid of the technology freezes and let engineering prowess battle it out. Also stop with the green agenda; F1 is not fooling the folks over at Greenpeace. Its a frivolous sport that's needs to remain uncompromised up to the day motorsports are legislated into extinction.

19. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    This is a learning season for Honda. So it is a write off for Alonso. Doesnt matter where he starts from. Just hoping next year will be different. Would be great to see Honda dominate again.

20. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    I'd certainly like to believe that. I just can't imagine the amount of stick Honda is getting. And how stupid the rules are. Why did they even bother to return?

21. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Because it is F1. Biggest motrsports show in the world