Renault and Honda should be allowed to catch up | FerrariChat

Renault and Honda should be allowed to catch up

Discussion in 'F1' started by F2003-GA, Jun 22, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
  2. Hollywood-GP

Hollywood-GP Karting

Jun 15, 2015
    What exactly is he purposing? No more penalties? But would they still be allowed to compete for the same points in the championship? The end of the season payouts are based on how the teams finish in the standing, would it be fair to other teams like Lotus and Force India who followed the fuels?

3. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Christian Whiner....

4. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    McLaren/Honda cannot even finish a race? What kind of catch up are you guys talking about?

5. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    its the "everybody gets a trophy" mentality

6. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    But its' embarrassing to see these teams effectively Not competing

At least let them catch up to the point they are podium contenders
    after which they would be on their own - just IMO

7. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Everyone's entitled to their opinion as we know.......

But, the short question - "Why should they be allowed to catch up"? - "Special "dispensation" because they haven't done as good of a job as Merc? After all, they are "allowed" to catch up - No rules saying they can't - Sure, there are rules (tokens being but the most obvious) that maybe make it "harder" than just throwing more bucks at the problem, but this mess is what they wanted......

"It's embarrassing"? Really? F1 is literally littered with "embarrassing failures". There's always been, and there always will be "backmarkers". [Is is probably one of the few that "remember" the ill fated effort from Mezzario for example! ;) ]

Get yer heads down guys and try to improve! It's hard. It should be.

Now, we can debate all day about bringing back testing - I'd certainly like to see more Monday etc test days after races, but again the "stake holders" voted against.

They, quite literally, made their bed. Honda knew the rules coming in. Now they're whining? STFU and work harder!

Cheers,
    Ian

8. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    These teams are basically completely out of the running until the new regs come along (at very earliest 2017), through no fault of their own. It's not Red Bull and Mclaren's fault their engine suppliers didn't build a decent engine, but even worse, are unable to improve said engine so that the teams have a hope of even competing for a good spot...I have little doubt that if the Torro Rosso had a Ferrari or even better a Mercedes engine they'd be fighting and beating Williams.

Mercedes knew a year in advance which engines would be run, and they're reaping it for all it's worth whilst the rest play catch up to last years engine, and at this rate they easily have next years as well. Well done Mercedes, you build the best rubbish engine there is, props to you. Now lets try and not rape what's left of the sport. This is Mike Tyson in his prime in the ring against a cripple. Sooner or later people are getting bored of him pummeling more cripples to death.

9. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    This wouldn't be an issue if there was any meaningful in season testing.

They all wanted, they got it.

Mark

10. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I beg to differ here Bas; This is Mike Tyson in his prime versus the best the world has to offer...... They may not be good enough, but it is what it is - For a while, Tyson was the *best*. Right now, it's Merc.

Cheers,
    Ian

11. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    How come he wasn't proposing this when they (Vettel) was always 25 seconds ahead of 2nd place?

Why didn't he let webber win some races?

:rolleyes:

12. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Even though I'm a Lewis fan - But the racing is so F**k**g boring

13. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    But Tyson's opponents were allowed to go to the gym before a contest...

No testing and design freeze rules are the problem.

14. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    No they should not be given a "pass". You run what you brung and certainly Renault as well as Honda knew what they had agreed too and have the resources to fix the problems but there is a "teething" time frame, some get it right and some do not.

15. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Very fair comment. Continuing the analogy, the dyno is their gym at present. That shows one thing, the action in the ring shows another.....

Right now, and admittedly this gets harder going forward with the formula, there's very little "design freezing" going on. You better spend your tokens wisely, or convince Charlie you're changing for reliability reasons (no tokens spent there), but you can improve.

Again, I too a am a fan of bringing back *limited* testing. No argument from me on that one beyond there shouldn't be dedicated test teams.

Cheers,
    Ian

16. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

If you remember, it was a trade off between the teams and the FIA/FOM.

"More GPs each year, but less testing." That was Bernie's blackmail.

Bernie's raisoning is that he can sell GPs to the media, but no the testing days. It went from 12 to 15, and then 20 GPs each year.

Testing doesn't generate income for FOM, and therefore limits what the teams receive at the end of the year. It was a no brainer, really.

Now, of course, every one can see it was a wrong decision, just like the development limits. Only Mercedes rejoyces, because it is on top of the game.

17. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

In an engineering competition, which is what F1 has become, those limitations are complete anathema for most engineers and designers, because it's exactly how you fix problems: testing and developing ALL THE TIME.

Can you imagine car manufacturers, the aircraft industry, or the medical world being submitted to such stupidity?

18. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    They are allowed, they're just not doing it. What's next, force Mercedes to give them their designs?

19. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I have no issues that if someone has the best car and it keeps winning. What I have a problem with is some have built good cars but are let down by an engine that's almost impossible to develop because of a token system that was put in WAY to early. Soon the designs freeze. And that's it. They have to spend their tokens wisely but how can they if they can't test their upgrades in the real world?
    Because when they where winning it was because they simply build the best car. Others were allowed to upgrade their cars to try and close the gap, Red Bull just did a better job. Nothing stopped other teams implementing blown diffusers, and they did...

20. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    What, you think there are no rules in car design, aircraft design etc?

21. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I just say there are no stupid rules PREVENTING testing and development in car design, aircraft design etc...

Unlike F1 where catching up is hampered by silly token rules, etc ...

22. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Right. I think now it's a combination of the silly grid penalties and the still baffling engine design rule change. Renault is struggling one year out. Honda as a hybrid pioneer, is struggling in it's first year. The lack of testing and the scientific practice of test and evaluation are stifling. It favors the teams with the deepest pockets and past design effort. Mercedes has a two year advantage now over everyone except Ferrari. They were the only team to close on them over the winter brake. That is the only time when one can make even a tactical move when it should be the time for strategy from year to year. The guys on NBCSN came to a good proposal about the grid penalties. How can a grid penalty be larger than the field? That's insane! Testing should be allowed too. I think that was a giveaway to fuel efficiency and conservation groups. Now that we have these awesome hybrid PUs, testing should be a tour-de-force of efficiency and impressive statistics. I think Kimi's rear end troubles are hampered by the lack of testing. I think the car got light over that rise on the track and was getting loose for a good bit before that. Alonso mentioned that. Also, I don't think Seb's DRS was working. I looked hard at the screen (1080p) and couldn't see it open at any time chasing Massa!

23. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

+1

24. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #24 TheMayor, Jun 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2015

I'm not sure the lack of testing has much to do with this. For sure, Honda knew it was down on power and reliability was an issue. Look at the DNF's. Those are blown opportunities to get real world data. They've known about their lack of power and reliability for some time -- before the season started. They put this PU in last year's car and tested it extensively. Putting a few new aero pieces on the current car isn't going to solve Mac's electronic and PU problems.

Yes, testing is very valuable but it's not a solution for poor engineering. When the other makers moved to V6 turbos', they didn't have these kinds of problems and they had the same testing issues.

And you can't say Honda doesn't have experience. They are making all kinds of current race motors, including a turbo indy motor, and have built small displacement turbo F1 motors in the past. And McLaren was running the best motor on the grid last year -- Mercedes. It's not like Honda didn't know what Merc had.

The problem for Honda is a lack of power and too much fuel consumption. It's the same problem for Merc and Ferrari and Renault. They just haven't been able to crack it yet.

Grid penalties are also not Mac's problem. Qualifying 18th and then getting a 5 spot penalty doesn't hurt them at all.

I do think that they should shut up. After ever race, Alonso and Button say they made "progress" and that Mac's problems are going away just around the corner. Today Alonso said by the Japanese GP. It's ridiculous to keep sending this kind of message that raises expectations that can't be met. Let the solve them first, then say "we are back".

25. Hollywood-GP

Hollywood-GP Karting

Jun 15, 2015
    all the teams knew the rules going into it... Honda had an extra season they got to see what worked and did not work with the engines last season... Ferrari did not have a very good power unit at the start of last season, though they have been able to improve over the last season and a half...