2015 FORMULA 1 BRITISH GRAND PRIX PRACTICE 1/2/3 ***SPOILERS*** | FerrariChat

2015 FORMULA 1 BRITISH GRAND PRIX PRACTICE 1/2/3 ***SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'F1' started by Bas, Jun 30, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    A bit early, but for some it has already started.

Honda has informed it may be necessary for Alonso to change his engine. If I'm not wrong...that engine is about 5 laps old!

Might as well take an early holiday, Alonso...Take a yacht and cruise the Mediterranean, play at St Tropez with the plastic people.

2. RallyeChris

RallyeChris Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2012
    Northport, NY
    Full Name:
    S.C.Conigliaro
    Honda should just put a fresh engine in the car every weekend. I mean, what's the difference at this point?

3. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Seems like that's pretty close to what they're doing! :eek:

I expected them to struggle this year, but this is getting pretty "embarrassing" I feel.

Very surprised they're this far off.

Cheers,
    Ian

4. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I agree with that totally.

In fact, I think both Honda and Renault teams (RB and TR) should write off this season where the chance of winning are nil and consider the reast of the year as a testing programme. They should develop and test their engines, ignore the token system, and use as many engines and gearbox as they need to fix their problems and catch up Mercedes.

What can happen to them, anyway? Sanctions and penalties only matter if you are in a winning position. If you are not what can the FIA impose? A 50 place grid penalty perhaps?

If Mateschitz wanted, he could use his 2 teams to confront the FIA. He is in 2 minds about continuing or staying in F1 anyway. The present restrictions on development and teasting have to go. They are unworkable.

5. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Several weeks ago, an F'Chatter opined that Fernando & Button should just race flat out on super softs until they run out af fuel. May as well see how the car will handle actual racing. I like that idea. As many of you have said, what do they have to lose?

6. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

+1

The best way to fight an injust rule is to demonstrate its absurdity.

7. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    ftfy

8. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1 Would love to see it.

9. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Indeed.

Further, not only do they break down pretty regularly, even when they are running (not often!) they're slow - generally that's due to being down on power. Not good.

Then, if the rumors are true, it's also thirsty to boot. Not good.

No overnight fixes here guys. I'm sure they too recognize this season is an extended test. Hopefully they'll get it together some - As much as I'm no McSplutter fan, seeing them fighting with Manor is not a good image IMO. ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

10. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Indeed. In fact, that's the way I interpreted Fred's comments/whines (depending on your perspective) last time out. Basically, "**** it, let me race, we'll worry about juice when the time comes!..... Implied, "if we get that far!"

Cheers,
    Ian

11. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    I believe we will see Force India running their trick nose so let's just see if it adds that second we keep hearing about. I'll be amazed if it's worth half a second

12. RallyeChris

Nov 30, 2012
    Northport, NY
    Full Name:
    S.C.Conigliaro
    Honda should use the engine that did 80 something laps at the test last week. Or, perhaps that engine is used-up now, too?

13. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I agree, a second does seem like an awful lot!

But, it does look like a neat innovation to get the air where they want it. And even half a second would put them in the mix behind your guys! ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

14. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Let'em suffer, no rest for the wicked!!!!

15. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Hypothetically, assuming that the new nose gains FI a second & is deemed a legal modification (has that official decision been made?), wouldn't the other teams quickly mock up something similar? Or, do the rules forbid that until there is another round of testing?
    Thanks, in advance…T

16. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    They'll need to crash test it until it passes. That takes time

17. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    I'd pay to go watch that, rather than whatever bullsh!et they're doing right now.

18. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1

What's more amazing is that they still haven't unleashed a B spec car, and this is just a modified 2014 car (including 2015 engine).

Seems that the Jordan team is indeed with the right owner, time and time again FI surprises me somewhat in their ability to make a decent car despite low-ish budget and frequent changes in drivers etc.

I was about to write them off at the beginning of this year when they did testing with their 2014 car...I'm sure many did as well!

19. RallyeChris

Nov 30, 2012
    Northport, NY
    Full Name:
    S.C.Conigliaro
    FI is definitely a dark horse at any point in the season. Considering their resources, they are always sitting there ready to take advantage of a mistake made by either of the top two teams. If only they had a top-tier driver in the mix...

20. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
  21. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

22. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Now that is funny again...All the time we are told that the good drivers can adapt to the car and this is what shows their "greatness" and then all of the sudden it is a "clutch spring" that makes Hamilton struggle??? If anybody else here would have said "it is because of the clutch" he would have been butchered for making excuses but here it fits for some reasons ;)

23. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    I think during the broadcasts they said Rosberg returned to last year's spec but Hamilton continued using the 2015 clutch.
    Perhaps it pays out to work on performance between races rather than going bling bling with kids in LA...