Rule changes announced on SKY | FerrariChat

Rule changes announced on SKY

Discussion in 'F1' started by DF1, Jul 2, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Formula 1 engine penalties set to change after Strategy Group talks - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com -

More to follow per Ted. Effective in Spa etc. More to come per SKY including more fuel and extra motors for Mclaren etc. They were talking so fast I couldnt gather it all..sorry. Sounds like real progress is to be officially announced!

Formula 1 engine penalties set to change after Strategy Group talks
    By Dieter Rencken and Glenn Freeman Thursday, July 2nd 2015, 17:04 GMT

Formula 1's controversial engine-change grid penalty system is set for revisions following a review of the current set-up at this week's Strategy Group meeting.

Penalties for exceeding a driver's engine allocation this year have been declared too harsh by some teams, particularly when a driver is penalised more positions than it is possible to drop on the 20-car grid.

At the moment, when a driver cannot drop the full allocation of positions, he can face a further time penalty in the race, or even a stop/go, as Jenson Button had to serve in the early laps of the Austrian Grand Prix.

But AUTOSPORT understands the Strategy Group wants the toughest penalty to be that cars are moved to the back of the grid.

This proposal will be voted on by the F1 Commission (most likely by fax) before being sent to the upcoming FIA World Motor Sport Council in Mexico City for ratification.

Also set for discussion at the WMSC will be a proposal to further reduce the amount of driver guidance teams are allowed to give.

Restrictions were put in place late last year on how much information teams could give their drivers from the pitwall, but plans to limit radio traffic further were scrapped on the eve of the 2015 season.

The Strategy Group also maintained the position the teams' stance against a return of in-race refuelling, a subject that was brought back into the spotlight by the release of results from F1 fan surveys this week.

Efforts to make the current generation of F1 engines louder will continue, with potential rule changes being discussed that could involve changes to the wastegate on the 1.6-litre turbocharged power units.

On the subject of discussions to increase the speed of F1 cars by at least six seconds for 2017, the FIA plans to ask the teams to submit their ideas and concepts for how this could be achieved.

2. DF1

Formula 1 plans to overhaul grand prix weekend format for 2016
    By Glenn Freeman Thursday, July 2nd 2015, 17:50 GMT

Austrian GP 2015

Formula 1's grand prix weekend format could be set for a 2016 overhaul, with changes described as "exciting and innovative" currently being reviewed by the FIA and Formula One Management.

Following this week's Strategy Group meeting at Biggin Hill, motorsport's governing body announced at Silverstone on Thursday that changes could be made to the race weekend format for next season.

In a statement, the FIA said: "Several exciting and innovative changes to the qualifying and race weekend formats have been discussed.

"[These] are being evaluated by FIA and FOM for a 2016 introduction."
    Formula 1 engine penalties set to change after Strategy Group talks - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com

FIA president Jean Todt recently told selected media he was interested in making changes to F1 weekends.

"The format of the race weekend could be improved," said Todt.

"Whether we should have the race 10 laps shorter or longer, it's something you can debate.

"Should we do a sprint race on Saturday? Why not?"

Although F1's qualifying format has undergone myriad revisions through the championship's 65-year history, any introduction of a second race per weekend would be breaking new ground.

3. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Just plain rubish...this *******s just don't get it......

4. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    #4 Bas, Jul 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    wider cars yay.

MUCH more downforce. These guys really are top of the line idiots.

6. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Honda-McL get a freebie engine this year!

7. DF1

Lets let time address the changes. I will take a positive attitude that, at least some changes are beginning. We must hope for the best as no change at all is a bad thing.

8. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Lol they'll need about 12 more free engines. Each!
    More downforce = harder to follow closely = less overtaking. It's that simple really...

Agreed, no change is worse.

9. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    As the Rindt letter illustrates, wings and aerodynamic downforce make overtaking more difficult, and reduce the likelihood of overtaking and close competition. So, the question is are they really interested in overtaking and close racing or looking more aggressive? It really doesn't make good sense if the only way a high downforce car can go faster is if it is 2+ seconds behind the car in front. But if it is looks over racing that is driving this circus...I'll watch NASCAR.

Why not trade some wings for wider tires and increased track? Braking and cornering would remain high and cars would be able to race closer together.

10. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    They have millions to spend on marketing and PR in F1 and then they use Word's standard Calibri font? :eek:

11. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I think is speced out in the 2014 FIA F1 Technical Regulations, under official communications.

12. JWeiss

JWeiss F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2010
    NYC and Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    JWeiss
    OK, so the only question is...from who's garbage did you retreive and uncrumple that notice? Whoever it was obviosuly was no fan of what he (or she) was reading.

13. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

Can't comment on "aggressive", but I do know "they" want more overtaking - The fans called it boring otherwise.

Hence, we got the DRS........ :(

"The more things change, the more they stay the same." ;)

:eek: :D

Looks? In the taxicabs? :)

Good points.

I said "we" could get 'er fixed! ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

14. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    :eek: :)

Remember their first attempt at releasing a "redacted" version of the "spygate scandal"?.....

Oops! ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

15. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Was Vettel's DRS broken chasing Massa? I never saw it open in range, though sight lines were difficult on TV.

16. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    As stupidity no limits with this guys!!! WTF do they want!! everyone knows...even my dog if i had one that you need more mechanical grip (wider tires amongst other things) and less downforce (less wing) to make races more exciting....where is the dificulty!!!!
    Who cares if the cars are slower, hell, a marussia would do rings around a t4 and an fw08.....but wich ones would you rather watch???

17. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    They should rewrite the rules and go back to basics. One whole A4 size just to inform Honda gets a free engine this year.

18. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    No change is better than bad, stupid, knee-jerk change.

19. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

Something that, contrary to myth, they've been very good at over the years. F1 rules do not change "willy-nilly".....

Huh? I read;

- Further restrictions on "coaching" coming soon.
    - The silly penalty situation is being addressed.
    - They're gonna make 'em sound better. [How is left as an exercise for the reader. ;)]
    - They're "reviewing" the token system.
    - They may get more go juice.
    - Tire choice may open up
    - Wider cars & wheels etc - As a few here suggested......
    - Changes to the format of the weekend.

I'm sorry, but that's a *whole* lot more than an extra lump for Honda!

I'd say the most "positive" stuff I've heard from those guys in years.... Generally it's "we think we may have agreed that the sky is blue. But it wasn't unanimous..."

Cheers,
    Ian

20. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Also, it seems that the cars will be wider because the fan survey dictated that the wider cars looked best.

Are they complete ****ing idiots or what? Have they forgotten WHY they narrowed the cars in the first place? It was because the wider cars made overtaking harder!

I'm all for wider tires, but an entire wider car is beyond stupidity.

21. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    I think they should go in time and search for old rules. We don't need new ones but the old ones.

22. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    +1000

23. toil

toil F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 23, 2014
    pathetic changes

24. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    You are wrong!

Wider tyres means a larger contach surface and therefore less weight per square inch. .
    If you decrease the downforce at the same time, you will end up with les grip, and not more.

To maintain the current level of grip, you need to DECREASE tyre width if you reduce the downforce.

25. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Mmmm, I´d say that in real life and with real tyres, Coulomb law does not work so good, i.e:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire_load_sensitivity

Usually wider tyres mean more grip. Road cars (little downforce), even when doing standing starts (so zero downforce), get more grip with fatter tyres. Also must be taken in consideration that narrower tyres get too hot easily.