Drivers have too much assistance, says Montoya. | FerrariChat

Drivers have too much assistance, says Montoya.

Discussion in 'F1' started by william, Jul 9, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Montoya: Drivers have too much assistance

Montoya: Drivers have too much assistance

“The driver and the team just have too much information. It’s OK to have the information in practice, but that information shouldn’t be there in the race for the drivers. It’s got to be a feel thing. Also it will mean that you will start to see the talented people coming through” says Montoya.

Far too much monitoring of the car and too much coaching from the pits.

Ban the telemetry, ban the radio communications and go back to drivers checking their instruments themselves and relying on pitboards once a lap!

2. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    To me Montoya was always a damn fast clown in a racing suit. But I am fully with him on this. Let the driver manage his rubbers, his breaks etc... Let them take the gambles or play the prof, be aggressive and overdrive the car. Bring the human factor back.

3. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Even if they just did away with the telemetry, it would be a big step forward. Let the driver's senses detect what is happening and then let him figure out how to deal with it. for the sake of development and set up, let teams use every sensor they want until quali and race time, then its' the drivers car to manage and make go as fast as HE can.

I get that modern F1 is a team sport, but when the lights go out it should be up to the drivers to get the best out of the car.

4. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

fully agree. how do we make this happen???

5. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I've got mixed emotions about it. To me it's certainly a team sport and the cars are much more sophisticated to leave the driver isolated I think. I love that it's all super cutting edge tech... but coaching is another story. Nico for instance can't seem to do much in any stressful situation without panicked calls to the team to help him. That's gotta stop.

6. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Race winner at Monaco GP, Italian GP, British GP--some clown.

7. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Yeah, I thought that as well.

If Montoya was a clown what does that make of the others who never won a GP?

I think he was a loss to GP; a colourful character who could hold his own and be aggressive when needed.
    But I never understood what was the attraction of NASCAR for him after F1..

8. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

+1

The average F1 spectator wants to see racing, and is not interested in the teams monitoring the cars for their drivers and telling them how to race.
    Less drivers' aid and more drivers input.

9. tazz99

tazz99 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 16, 2007
    Kennesaw, GA
    Full Name:
    Seth
    I know there are a bunch of NASCAR haters here, that's fine, to each his own. But one of the things that separate the NASCAR greats from the rest of the field is the ability to feel what the car is doing and communicate that to his crew chief who then has to figure out what to do about it.

You want to see great team work? Watch Jimmy Johnson (driver) and Chad Knause (crew chief) work together during a race weekend.

10. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

don't completely disagree with you but roundy round is much about muscle memory...many of the tracks are so similar (especially the 1.5 mi. format). the nascar product has also gotten so very poor. nascar could benefit by removing the aero packages and revert back to the old as they too can benefit from more driver!

11. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I didn't mean to rubbish NASCAR by my comment about Montoya going there after F1.

It's just that jumping from a state-of-the-art responsive single seater racing on road courses to a massive low-tech saloon car running mostly on huge ovals isn't evident for most F1 drivers.

I was just wondering what the attraction was for Montoya, when there are road course series in the US (IMSA/ELMS or even Indy). I know that NASCAR is the Premier series in the States, attracting big money, but I was thinking about the enjoyment.

12. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I agree.

So what is the counter argument to keeping it I wonder? Serious question.

13. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I have to believe that a big part of the attraction is the competition. 17 races so far in 2015, 10 different winners. There are probably 20 guys who could win on any given day. The typical 500 mile race isn't decided until the last 20 miles and often in the last 5 miles. Sure, the cars are low tech but the racing is close and there is a very high degree of talent and skill required to drive and win. Oh, and they are really loud and fast!

14. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I think what Maulaf meant with clown was his personality, not his driving/racing skills.

15. tazz99

tazz99 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 16, 2007
    Kennesaw, GA
    Full Name:
    Seth
    To a degree there is a bit of repetition but relying purely on muscle memory will result in 1 of two out comes. The first you are slow, very slow. The second you crash.

Over the course of a race tracks change and the fast teams have to anticipate the changes and adjust the cars accordingly. It is the input of the driver that feeds the decisions the crew chief has to make on how to adjust the car. But the key point is it is the drivers ability to feel what the car is doing at the limits that separate the greats from the also rans.

I for one would like to see all telemetry gone from F1.

16. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Montoya has a broken head, he isn't driving these cars.

17. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    I've always thought modern F1 drivers are the biggest whiners, cry babies and spoilt brats. Everything seems to be spoon fed to them. I think JPM is right..

18. Fortitude

Fortitude Rookie

Mar 19, 2013
    How does he expect drivers to feel the drive by wire controls?

19. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I think you misunderstand the current state of the cars if you believe they can't feel the cars any longer.

20. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    You're not utilizing available technology. In f1, it would seem anathema to the sport to purposely 'low tech' it. Montoya is complaining because he probably has a good feel for the car but others are better at digesting the data, negating his advantage by giving them one. A well rounded driver would use both to be the best, imo.

I have no problem with a driver using every available bit of data he can to be the best, and in a sport like f1 it demands it. If you're talking about taking control of the car away from the driver, I'm not in favor of it, but I have no issue with giving the driver all the information he can handle to drive it better. In fact, I'd want no less - I want to see them get the maximum from the machinery, and if their ability to analyze or use data real time gives them an advantage over another driver, they're a better driver.

21. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

Very well stated, thanks!

Even jokers like us (!) can install some pretty serious telemetry equipment for minimal cost these days. We get off the track and analyze the data in order to go a little quicker the next time.

Serious pro coaches may not completely rely on it, but I know they sure as hell study & use it to improve their students.

Outlawing it may work for the taxicabs, but they've only just allowed injection too! I'm not interested in early 20th century racing - I enjoy technology and the way they make use of it.

Cheers,
    Ian

22. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I don't disagree with you; banning all telemetry would not be good. Give them all the data and let them make decisions. The problem, or the slippery slope IMHO, is actually telling them how to drive. Things like, "brakes are critical, or brake temp is X and rising at Y" - I have no problem with that. The driver has to figure out how to change his driving to cool the brakes while not dropping too much time. Things like, "ok lift 400 feet and coast into turn 1; lift 200 feet before the braking zone to turn 2, etc" I take issue with those kinds of instructions. That is literally an engineer interpreting the data, then telling the driver what to do. The driver is no longer interpreting the data in realtime. A more appropriate limit might be, "fuel burn is at X and we need it to be at Y" - something like that.

Seems like the new FIA rules seek to do just that, but we'll have to see how they are enforced.

23. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    JB chips in on JPM's comments;

As much as I love the technical side of F1, I think I too would like them to "take away the data" for the race - As they note, OK in FP & even qualy, but not in the race - They'll have to "feel" what it's doing again.

Now, if the racing would improve is another question - I suspect they'd be more strung out, but other than those who need constant overtaking, preferably for P1, I feel most fans could go for it.

Cheers,
    Ian
    Jenson Button believes F1 drivers are now helped too much by data - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com

24. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012

In a point i agree with him and of course the cars are too friendly..

25. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

+1 with JB. When they leave the pitlane - just drive and make it happen.