SF-15 reaches end of development | FerrariChat

SF-15 reaches end of development

Discussion in 'F1' started by Kiwi Nick, Jul 10, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    An interesting article saying that the SF-15 has reached the limit of its chassis development, primarily hampered by the pull-rod suspension that there was not enough time to replace with push-rod. The current front suspension seems to severely limit the car's ability to work with harder tires.

Ferrari: la SF15-T è arrivata al limite dello sviluppo?

2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Sigh. Should have done this last year :rolleyes:

3. Mulehead

Mulehead Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2012
    Impo this always been a big problem with fred cars he loves understeer. Schumi was always about oversteer if the car will not turn you can't get the car to change direction and get steering input out and put the rear tires on the track flat . Vettal almost good enough to over come this but is its a big problem for kimi because he's just a average f1 Wheelman

4. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    #4 Fast_ian, Jul 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
    I'm sorry, but I think this whole pull-rod versus push-rod debate is a blind alley.

There's *much* more to building a decent car than that. After all, it's only deflecting a torsion bar & damper - whether they're pulled or pushed is neither here nor there IMO.

Same as Merc's now legendary "split turbo" - It's a nice solution, but is not the reason they're blowing everyone's doors off.

IMESHO. ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

5. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!

Spot on Ian.

6. Mulehead

Mulehead Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2012
    Any race car is only as good as it tires if you can't get them to stay within there operating temperature your done . Impo the rears once up to operating temp are easier to keep their because they're under load most of the time . Fronts are not under as much and have less mass to keep the temperature. If ferrari says that they are having problems believe it

7. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    That would be consistent with their complaint that it is the faster circuits (Silverstone, Spa, Suzuka) will be very difficult for Ferrari. If everybody else uses push rod, and Allison says that is the change that they did not have time to incorporate, I am inclined to believe that there is some fundamental advantage to the push rod lay out. Pull rod was supposed to hold an advantage because it allows some weight to be lowered in the chassis. Apparently that was not enough of an advantage to get anyone but Ferrari to carry-on with that lay out.

So, when the choice is lower 14 oz. by 2 inches in the chassis or make the front tires work, it looks like the world has opted to make the tires work.

8. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    What is the reason? What are they doing with an existing engine that they haven't really spent new tokens on that can consistently keep or increase the gap to the competition every single race? I'd like to know.

9. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    #9 Fast_ian, Jul 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
    The many million $ question right there.....

Wouldn't we/they all!.....

FWIW, IMO, they've "simply" got far and away the best "package" right now. There's no doubt their PU is the class of the field - witness all the Merc powered cars towards the front. However, none of their customers can live with them either, and I honestly don't believe it's due to any "secrets" or shenanigans on their behalf - They've just got it right in the same way as the Scuderia when Michael was blowing everyone away.

Their time will pass. As has been said many times, it's all cyclical.

Cheers,
    Ian

10. tesla

tesla Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2013
    +1

11. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    You may be correct.

But, again, I don't see any reason why pull-rod is somehow "worse" than push-rod in terms of keeping the rubber working.

It's a tire. It doesn't know if it's being controlled via pushing or pulling!

Apparently, there are also some aero advantages with the pull rod setup, and getting weight as low as possible is always going to be a win.

I fail to see any reason why the tires would work better one way or the other. Get your geometry right and it (should?) be irrelevant.

Cheers,
    Ian

12. Mulehead

Mulehead Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2012
    Don't take this wrong but there a lot of thing we don't understand . Areo is a big part of f1 than weight but impo if you can't get the tires to work as the areo load is lost at slow speed front roll center is very important and if Allison has said this all we can get I believe it. Look at bright side ferrari thinks it knows what it needs to move forward.

13. NJB13

NJB13 Formula 3

Jan 5, 2013
    Pampanga,Philippines
    Full Name:
    Norm
    I don't buy the pull rod is a major problem.

14. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    Personally what the car needs is more downforce front and rear, this should then allow the tyres into the right operating temp. Hopefully Hungary will be scorching.

15. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Understatement of the thread right there!..... We're just sitting in the peanut gallery BS'ing - "We" don't understand very much at all. ;)

Agreed that roll centers (both front & rear) are important to how the thing behaves, particularly at low speed. Maybe they've got it wrong, but again, there's nothing inherent about pull-rod that doesn't allow you to put the roll center where you want it.

One of the (supposed) advantages Ferrari have is that they're "light" on tires. It doesn't eat them up like some of the others. Sometimes this is good, other times they do seem to struggle (particularly Kimi) to keep them working well. Just another challenge to overcome - It's not easy! ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

16. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    The SF15 is a quick fix of a car that was a disaster like the F14 made by a newborn team of designers without big stars in it. I don't think that we should expect a lot from it. Honestly, it already has exceeded my expectations.

17. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    After Silverstone, Arrivebene said that Ferrari had to add downforce to the front in order to get the front tires to work and that the added drag made the cars slow on the straights. He also said that this would be a problem at Spa and Suzuka. Tracks like Hungary should not be a problem.

18. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Well, there is theory and practice. In theory, pull rod has significant advantages in center of gravity and aerodynamics. In practice, push rod works better. All that matters is the end result and come 2016 every F1 car will be using push rod and those who have tried pull rod will have abandoned it.

19. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    The Mercedes of the last two years are the most dominant F1 cars of all time.

20. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

+1 with very little weakness other than the odd fault of a mech nature. The car has the aero, the power and the balance for a driver to dominate the field lacking the synch the Mercedes offers.

21. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Why have the pull rod suspensions not been more effective? Is it simply that the engineers in F1 have spent more time with push rod suspensions and therefore understand them more thoroughly?

All the best,
    Andrew.

22. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Do you mean to imply that after 3 years of first hand experience with pull rod front suspension, the engineers at Ferrari are not smart enough to figure it out? And that in spite of its much heralded advantages, no engineer in F1 has successfully pursued its satisfactory implementation.

Just when I thought F1 engineers were the best in motorsport, my admiration has been dashed. Perhaps they are not so capable, or it really could be that push rod is inherently better.

23. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I'm not implying anything, I'm asking a question. I often hear that pull rod suspensions have all these benefits and are theoretically better, but when teams choose it they often struggle with tuning the setup and I honestly don't understand why that's the case. I wondered if since engineers change teams all the time, and most F1 teams have relied upon push rod suspensions, it seems like there's a lot of development and shared knowledge about push rod systems, while fewer teams have pursued pull rod and the shorter period of development time could have had a tangible impact on the relative performance of suspension systems when comparing the two methods in a single season. Clearly, it has been very difficult for Ferrari to successfully implement.

If push rod is inherently better, despite theoretical disadvantages for weight location/distribution and aerodynamics, could you tell me why?

All the best,
    Andrew.

24. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    :D
    Is that you Ron!?

I gotta say, you do have the very best "Ronspeak" outside of, well, the man himself! ;)

I certainly can't answer your question either, but I don't think it's due to a lack of knowledge or understanding. At the end of the day, it's a geometry exercise. Many variations have been tried; De Dion axles were popular back in the day. Colin had some success playing with supposedly superior anti-dive & anti-squat layouts. And so on.

I remain convinced that Ferrari's "woes" are not down to using pull-rod's.

Cheers,
    Ian

25. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    I think it's just because of the too tight geometries for a pull road to work well at the front