How do you think Ferrari would be doing if they still had Alonzo? | FerrariChat

How do you think Ferrari would be doing if they still had Alonzo?

Discussion in 'F1' started by kizdan, Jul 29, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

How do you think Ferrari would be doing if they still had Alonzo?

1. Equal results

2. Better results

3. Worse results

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    2 wins for Vettel, along with many other great results so far this year.

Simple question; do you think Ferrari would have the same results if it was Alonzo? Would the results be better even? Not as good?

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Vettel and Alonso? Alonso and Kimi? Better with the former, worse with the latter IMO...T

3. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Agreed.

4. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    #4 DeSoto, Jul 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
    I´m not Vettel´s greatest fan, but I admit he´s doing a clean job. Alonso maybe wouldn´t have screwed it at Bahrein, and maybe he would be running a bit closer to Mercedes, but he wouldn´t be beating them anyway so he would have the same points. Just with more moaning.

I think that if he hadn´t left in 2014, Alonso would be leaving Ferrari in 2015 anyway, as he would be in the same situation he´s been at Ferrari since 2011 (podiums, some wins, but far from the lead) and he already was pissed about that.

5. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Alonso didn't get the early results he expected at the Scuderia, and grew up resenting the team.

Vettel went in knowing full well the situation was in and he is doing a great job.

Alonso is toxic in any team, IMHO. I wouldn't miss him.

6. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I don't see Alonso and Vettel together. Alonso is a more driven driver than Kimi but it's more than just raw talent that makes a good team.

7. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I agree with that, too.

I'm still getting used to the idea of "Finger Boy" being on our side now, but give Vettel his due, he is racing hard, racing clean, gelling with the team, and bringing an undeniably positive attitude. (Remember the Monaco podium? "I'm happy!"). All this while knowing full well he's not going to win much this season, and a championship is just not in the cards.

Now while I am a huge admirer of Alonso's abilities, hewas frustrated and grumpy the last couple of years. And while this year's car is an improvement, he would still be a grumpy cuss when he came in 3rd or 4th. He has proven time and again he can drive a car well past its expected capabilities, and if he were in this year's car he would be racking up plenty of points. But still complaining, and still looking for his next chance at a title somewhere else.

So, first prize for this year would be to have Vettel and Alonso. But if it's a given that Kimi is the second driver, I e got to say we're better off with Kid Index in the car. Sorry Fernando.

8. RallyeChris

RallyeChris Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2012
    Northport, NY
    Full Name:
    S.C.Conigliaro
    Worse. That was the trend up-until his departure. Why would it change? Progress came after he left. There's a reason for that. I believe the McLaren performance will peak just as Jenson leaves. They will begin a downward spiral from that point forward. We shall see...

9. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    From the driving abilities I would say equal...Vettel is doing well and the gap between the Ferrari and Mercedes in general is to big so better than third is impossible anyway as long as Mercedes does not screw it.

For the rest it is difficult to tell from the outside. Would the team be as motivated as it is today? Alonso in his first year at Ferrari would be as motivated as Vettel is but if he stayed at Ferrari and this would be his 6th season I doubt so as he mentioned often enough that he does not want to fight for third and this is what Vettel is doing right at the moment...So maybe Alonso would have mentally already forgot about this season being another "wasted year" on his challenge for another WDC.

Furthermore the abilities of Alonso are very difficult to rate the longer he is sitting in a bad car. Everybody says that he is one of the best but he has no possibility to show and so one might ask whether he still is or whether people will just say to the end of days: "Alonso would be great if he had a car to prove"...

10. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    Just to clarify, my post is asking how Ferrari would be doing if Alonso had never left. Not if Alonso was paired with Vettel.......

11. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Aha! That's a toughie. Think the car is more competitive this year, so they'd do better, but it'd be close...T

12. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I voted for bettter results--but that is dependent on the team being Alonso and Vettle.

13. toil

toil F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 23, 2014
    Well it's half distance and Vettel already has more than double kimis points haul (given kimi has had some bad luck).

Alonso would be going even better then Vettel. Remember alonso drove a dog of a Ferrari and did quite well in it. Vettel is here with a much improved car. Alonso wouldn't have done so poorly in Bahrain either

14. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    While ill agree with you on that its hard to say. Vettel and Alonso like two different style cars even though I think Alonso is head and shoulders above vettel. The car this year is more suited to vettel and kimi. But that being said I think he would have maybe another win but not much beyond that. Those mercedes are way too fast and reliable.

But as I've said, I don't think Alonso wants just a few more wins under his belt, he's already proven his ability to drive. He wants a wdc. Coming in 2nd or 3rd isn't what he wants.

15. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    "Alonzo" was exceptional in those crappy Ferraris. It's easy to forget. Vettel is getting an easy life in comparison but I think results would have been similar if he stayed as I'm sure Vettel works better with engineers.

16. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    I voted no. For some reason, no doubt Alonso is a good driver, but the team was 'dark'. There was hardly any happiness when he was there.

Fast forward to today, and look with Vettel and Kimi on board, it looks like a brighter place now.

17. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I think Vettel has the gift to make people work for him, in the interest of the team.

Alonso, in the opposite, has a divisive attitude in any team.

Their driving skills are more or less the same.

18. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    #18 Igor Ound, Jul 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
    I think Alonso's wheel to wheel is superior. Do you remember his starts? They were worth the ticket all by themselves. But ultimately it's not Vettel or Arrivabene who brought the biggest change for the best IMO. That was mainly due to Allison and getting rid of Pat Fry/Tombazis for me.

19. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    I do not think those Ferrari's, until 2014, were as crappy as people say they were.

A lot of Alonso's results came from a strategy that sacrificed Massa.

Alonso is one of the best when racing gets side by side.

However, when it comes to "getting the most from a car", tire wear comes into play, and that is sort of useless...

20. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    No, they were crap. Ferrari knew the engines that started the season way down on power to Merc. This is indisputable.

21. NJB13

NJB13 Formula 3

Jan 5, 2013
    Pampanga,Philippines
    Full Name:
    Norm
    What I'm confident of is Seb and the new leadership has galvanized the team working in the right way and direction. That didn't happen during Fernando's time.

22. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Alonso is crap...Ferrari would still be in the **** with him.....

23. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    What´s your point? Renault kicked Mercedes´ butt all those years, despite having even less raw power than Ferrari.

The big problem at Ferrari was the aero, not the engine.

24. Neonzapper

Neonzapper F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2008
    MD/FL/Philippines
    Full Name:
    Mykol
    Alonso is disinterested in F1 now. He may go to endurance racing.

25. HORNETDRIVER

HORNETDRIVER Karting

Jul 29, 2013
    TX
    Kimi along with James Allison have developed the car much better without Alonzo's input.

I believe Alonzo is less critical with car set-up and can adapt whereas Kimi requires perfect car set-up to perform at his best.

Seb is much like Kimi and requires a clean, front-end grippy set-up. This is why the team is performing much better. If they can nail down qualifying better (and reduce Kimi's errors) you will see results more like Hungary for the rest of the year.

JMHO