Kimi 2016 option renewal date 7/31 | FerrariChat

Kimi 2016 option renewal date 7/31

Discussion in 'F1' started by Bmill, Jul 31, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bmill

Bmill Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 13, 2011
    California/Minnesota
    Full Name:
    Brad
    So I assume Kimi's option was not renewed today. Maurizio sure made it sound like that was going to be the result earlier the week. So has that been confirmed?

If so that would make Kimi a free agent, or signable by SF at a lower price for 2016, or moving on to the next Kimi adventure.

2. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    It wasn't renewed and Kimi will have to accept half the money to stay next year which is the best solution imo.

3. Mulehead

Mulehead Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2012
    If kimi smart he will sign impo there would be no way I would give him a deal because there is very few seats and some good young guys out there. Maybe ferrari going to let it's b team hire the young guns next year and then sign the pick of the two and soda cans might not be able to resign rico.

4. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Ricciardo isn't going anywhere fast

5. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Suaber boys have been signed (so no Nasr to Williams, who have supported him for a few seasons already)

Button has taken the option with Mclaren for next year

Bottas' manager has said he thinks it's unlikely Bottas will go anywhere

Ricciardo is staying at Red Bull

Arrivabene has said he will only decide on Kimi after the summer break (Monza). I've heard he'll announce at Monza a year extension for Kimi

6. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Monza is the traditional formal time for announcements.

7. RallyeChris

RallyeChris Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2012
    Northport, NY
    Full Name:
    S.C.Conigliaro
    Current extension not exercised. New 1 year deal penned. Kimi will take it. Announcement at Monza. Forza Kimi!

8. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Good.

9. Neonzapper

Neonzapper F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2008
    MD/FL/Philippines
    Full Name:
    Mykol
    So Button won't be part of the Top Gear crew after all.

10. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Source???

11. RallyeChris

Nov 30, 2012
    Northport, NY
    Full Name:
    S.C.Conigliaro
    Sorry, more of a prediction than pure fact :-(

12. DF1

Oh no problem. We are here to share that/those things. This is a big question for the grid for sure! :)

13. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    I think they will sign him for next year.

14. Prugna

Prugna Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Unites States
    I love Kimi, but he is just getting slower. next year he will have even more of a gap. My teenagers want Verstappen in the second seat, naturally.

15. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    The italian press has been announcing it for a few days...after having announced a few weeks earlier that Bottas will be signed; so make up your own conclusions!
    (I have already posted this is the other thread about the Bottas announcement)
    Seems like Williams wanted $ 18 millions to release Bottas, and that Ferrari found the pill too bitter to swallow.

Should you not read Italian, it means that Kimi's new contract, or contract extension, and James Allison's one will very probably be officially announced in Monza:

Allison e Raikkonen, annuncio Ferrari già a Monza? - News Formula 1

Rgds

16. RallyeChris

Nov 30, 2012
    Northport, NY
    Full Name:
    S.C.Conigliaro
    #16 RallyeChris, Aug 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm fairly certain the gap to his 4-time WDC team mate is less than the gap to his 2-time WDC team mate last year... So, it appears he is getting faster. Or, he has always been fast. And now he has been able to work with his team, including long-time technical ally Allison, to develop a car that suits him better. Or, all of the above.

Some good reading:

https://www.formula1.com/content/fom-website/en/latest/features/2015/7/race-performance-ratings---raikkonen-versus-vettel.html
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. DF1

Kimi might get one more year. I would suspect he will. But he is on the 'cusp' of not being able to maintain pace. His age only works against him and his frustration tends to dampen his results. For harmony they keep him. His results do not make me think he will do much better than he does already. He never dominated any of his team mates that were winning races themselves overall. He certainly did not dominate Massa and was on track to be beaten 2 out of 3 years at Ferrari until the accident. Im already looking beyond him and IM sure the team is as well.

18. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I still don't understand why they rehired him, but surely Ferrari has almost the pick of the field and chose him.....they must have a good reason. Clearly, he's offering something that I don't see.

19. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    This would make me very happy. I still think Kimi is a solid driver and an excellent choice for a number 2 spot. He's had some bad luck this year, but has driven well most of the time. Last week was a heartbreaker.

20. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    What is the chance of seeing a surprise (e.g. Grosjean)?

21. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

I really hope he stays around for another season too. He & Allison seem to work well together. I reckon he could give Seb a serious run for his money next season given a car he likes.

My opinion? Two chances; slim & none.......

Seems like a decent enough chap - although he does appear a bit "lost" at times (Putting it politely ;)). But, he's been around a long time now; Just another journeyman IMO.

Cheers,
    Ian

22. greg 19425

greg 19425 Formula 3

Jan 6, 2011
    Wake Forest, NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I think that Kimi is the Trump of F-1. He has his own way with things. I like him in a red car. :)

23. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I actually wonder if it was for feedback for car development. Many times, Alonso got the most out of a car through qualifying performance and racecraft on race day, but I don't get the impression that he was the best at actually developing a car. Whereas, Raikkonen provided good engineer feedback in the past.

Even now with Vettel in the Scuderia, one wonders how much of the development feedback at Red Bull was from Vettel or from the more experienced Webber. Sometimes an old hand is handy to keep around for those purposes - particularly with the restrictions on testing.

All the best,
    Andrew.

24. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Very well said, as always! :)

Honestly not sure about Fred & development - But I'm starting to suspect you're right - He's a lot like Ronnie; drive the wheels off a tractor. But feedback? Not so much!......

I too believe Kimi still brings a *lot* to the table. Lets give him & JA a chance.

Cheers,
    Ian

25. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Hell no..that guy is just a crasher.