LED POSITION LIGHTS | FerrariChat

LED POSITION LIGHTS

Discussion in 'F1' started by MikeF, Aug 2, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MikeF

MikeF Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Bloomington IN
    Full Name:
    Mike Fisher
    INDYCAR INTRODUCED LED POSITION LIGHTS AT MID OHIO THIS WEEKEND, LIKE THEY HAVE BEEN USING IN TUDOR(IMSA).

WOULD LOVE TO SEE F1 DO THEY SAME.

2. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    noticed that
    looked cool but not for f1
    Indy cars spinning around an high speed oval are impossible to follow

3. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
  4. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    :)

I don't follow it, so may be wrong here, but believe they're using big ass LED displays mounted on the air box displaying their current position.

The WEC has kind of the same deal with their lights on the leaders of each class. (Different colors = different class). But they also run in the dark of course......

I think Tatcat got it - fine for a little oval where they're all mixed up, but not F1.

Cheers,
    Ian

5. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    #5 Fast_ian, Aug 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Found it!.....

Also reminded me of a chuckle I once had at a buddy's description of taxicab racing; "May as well flush a bag of M&M's down the toilet and watch which leaves last!" ;)

Cheers,
    Ian
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    They also display pit stop durations.

7. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    This was invented (or just commercialized, I don´t know) by Hamilton´s dad.

That´s the only F1 connection I want for this thing, personally I´m not liking it. I think it´s unnecessary and those LCD numbers look very 80s. Also, it reduces space for sponsors´decals, so you can bet that it won´t get to F1.

8. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I do believe you're correct. Vague bells are ringing that he had the idea back when LH was a lad in karts; Another area where there's often many lapped guys in the mix. Don't know about "invented" as such, but he's certainly involved with promotion of the thing.

+1

May also be pretty cool in WEC type stuff, particularly at night where you can see the top 3, but behind that you're SOL right now.

Cheers,
    Ian

9. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I've actually watched the last couple of Indy races... with the exception of the stupid cars (cannot consider that open wheel anymore) they're trying to bring more info to the fans. I'm not sure about the number thing on the side... it's kinda cool maybe... but not sure. On the ovals it'll probably be more useful.

I like how the first hour before the race they're in the paddock areas interviewing the drivers. That would be a nice touch for F1. I still say the main reason F1 struggle is because no one even knows who the drivers are. Most people get engaged when they get to know the drive. Indy and of course NASCAR are great at that.

10. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Free access to drivers and the pits go against Bernie's, and to an extent the teams', maniacal need for control and secrecy. So, what passes for driver access in F1, is 10 guys sitting in a two tier studio being questioned by the FOM.

11. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Yeah... I think that's a huge problem. With F1 losing fans... the idea of totally shutting down access is absurd. You essentially two of the best drivers from Germany and they can't even garner enough interest in their own country to support a GP. That's sad.

Until F1 recognizes that both sides of the house are in trouble... I think the spiral will continue.

12. Neonzapper

Neonzapper F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2008
    MD/FL/Philippines
    Full Name:
    Mykol
    The side lights marking driver positions have been on ALMS cars for over a decade. It made sense for keeping track of P1, P2, and P3 in the various categories running together at the same time.

As for F1, I might see the need for trackside attendees, however the position poles and large CCTV screens around each venue are easy enough to see where they are.

13. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    I don't think it will work for F1. Unless they have maybe 6 LED lights that lights up at the sides of the car, like Le Mans to inform the track crowd what position the car is.

14. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I don't think the LEDS are something that needs to be a part of F1... I just like that they continually try to make the fan experience better....unlike F1 where they sort of regard the fans as privileged that they get to watch.

15. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Are you guys that are against this idea also against the tyres compound colours? Knowing what tyres they are on has improved the sport for everyone. Having LED lights similar to WEC would have the same benefit.

Do you guys actually attend F1 races? Not every location has access to big screens or radios. The tracks make money from attendees and if you want to support the "classic" tracks well you need to make it a better experience for people that attend.

100,000 people attending a race aren't all going to have the opportunity to meet the drivers, fan access doesn't change what happens on the track. You don't stop being a fan because you didn't get an autograph. I have had drivers cancel autograph sessions after waiting 2hrs in line.. I know the pain of lack of driver interactions well :p

The Top3 drivers should be forced to sign autographs after the race.

I want to see the LED tech from WEC pushed to the next level. Show when the drivers are using KERS, when they are under blue flags, VSC, low on fuel, top 3 etc.

(yes the indycar solution looks crap :p )

16. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I'm indifferent to it. At the track it'll be very handy (not just for F1 but all racing series. When I used to go to the racetrack every week it was nigh on impossible to find out who was where).

That said...Everyone has a smart phone these days, might be nice to at least have access to the F1 app when you're at the race using your ticket number so you have all the live timing.

17. cig1

cig1 F1 Rookie

May 3, 2005
    In front of you
    That would be excellent and easy to implement

G

18. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Exactly

19. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    I like the concept, but I though the Indycar execution left a bit to be desired. I thought they looked out of place visually. Perhaps placing them on the rear wing end plate would not be so unattractive. I like their use in endurance racing and I liked the pit stop duration info seen in real time. Could be incorporated into F1, but should be done thoughtfully, without just slapping them high up on the side of the car.

20. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I liked its function a lot for pit stop duration timing. I think the other pit crews could benefit from it and see how they compare when the car drives by (assuming the pit stall was prior to their own).

21. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    There's not enough bandwith to support that. I've tried at the Daytona 500 and you can barely send a text message.

22. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Turning on mobile data will solve that problem quick. Even when I'm out in the sticks I download with over 50mb/s on my phone on 4g :D

23. HansNL

HansNL Rookie

Aug 14, 2015
    We designed the first SPAA05 Race Position Display System 4 years ago. Nowadays you can see the system when watching endurance races like Dubai24h, Rolex Daytona 24h,Silverstone 24h and Sebring 12h , these series surely see the need for informing the spectators. Also in Dutch Supercar Challenge and European GT4 races of 60 minutes with driver change you can follow the race much better.
    Indycar was a big challenge to make the displays readable at 350kmh, a special plasma LED module with 1250 led chips do the job, even at the brightest sunshine. Debut was Mid-Ohio, a road trackwhere we did 17 realtime updates on the displays per lap. Next Indycar Race is on an Oval, you all come and watch it yourself.
    The all new realtime Pit-timer was invented by Petra, a real F1 fan. Implementing it was a lot of work.
    Coming UP, Driver Name, KERS, Pro/AM, Fanboost, Tyre type. etc

24. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Very cool!

Good to have someone who 'knows' join in. Is Lewis' dad involved?

Any discussions with the F1 guys? As noted, I'm not sure it's really 'needed' here; I think most fans know who's who, and we can see the tyre type.

But, for long distance racing, and the mix that is oval racing, I can see it being a real help. Certainly ahead of the old 1-2-3 position lights! :)

Cheers,
    Ian