Saving open-wheel racing | FerrariChat

Saving open-wheel racing

Discussion in 'F1' started by itschris, Aug 4, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    This is a pretty good article with lots of pictures of that closed cockpit McLaren render. If anything... the pics are always worth another look.

This crazy F1 concept car could save open wheel racing | The Verge

I like that car a lot. If you could put a good sounding PU in it that would icing on the cake. I like the fact that it appears the aero isn't all front-wing dependent which I have no come to the conclusion accounts for a big portion of our boring races.

2. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    If you want to save open wheel racing, get rid of the aerodynamic add ons and remove the rest of the rules save for engine displacement and fuel tank size.

Speeds go up, braking distances go up, cornering speeds go down, passing is possible,...

3. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I think the concept looks cool but I prefer open cockpit.

The main reason F1 is fairly boring is because of the very high aerodynamics and dirty air behind the car. Reduce some downforce and somehow create a way that downforce is much cleaner behind the cars and we'll have so much proper racing instead of cars unable to come within 1.5 seconds of the other without destroying tires, overheating etc...

4. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I was eating cereal this morning, and noted an uneaten box of "Cocoa Pebbles". Cocoa Pebbles was a favorite of mine and my children, but about 6 months ago, they changed the formula...more "chocolatey", they claimed. We all thought it sucked.

I'm a huge Beach Boys fan, and while I loathe Mike Love (I'm really a fan of Brian Wilson), he is remembered for his famous saying "don't F*CK with the formula!".

How true. Much like society, racing of all forms has been drowning in a maze of rules and regulations, the more we add, the more the cars become uniform. BORING.

I NEVER bought into the argument that F1 was about technology. I fully get that the manufacturers want it to be about tech, but I'm in Bernie's corner - IT'S A F**KING SHOW! I want to be entertained.

The body work must go - too much aero, looks ridiculous and stupid. Open the engine formula for goodness sake - I want to see the days of BMW's 1000+ HP 4-cylinders against an atmo Ferrari 12-cyl. That's not too much to ask, right?

NHRA, IndyCar, NASCAR, F1 - all have the same problem. Seems Sports Cars have it right - it was awesome to see Nissan's experiment, as poor as it did. Sure made me interested in watching LeMans. To have Porsche break Audi's dominance was wonderful.

DON'T F*CK WITH THE FORMULA. Slicks, reduced aero, open engine format, whatever...but I'd love to get back to the glory years (at least in my opinon - late 70's / early 90's).

5. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'm not against evolution of the sport at all. I like technology, but agree that there needs to be some sort of simplification. I'll say this again... and I wish the FIA would read this... YOU CAN"T LOCK IN THE WINNERS AND LOSERS BEFORE THE SEASON STARTS VIA REGULATIONS!!.

That being said... I think there should be some base line requirement such as the engine can be up to x number cylinders, must include some sort of KERS, can be turbo/non-turbo, and have a minimum fuel efficiency. Indy car got it all wrong with their ridiculous aero packages. I don't mind aero but when it actually hurts racing like in F1... a change is needed.

6. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Give 'em lasers!

7. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    The McLaren looks cool but I prefer open cockpits. Seeing the helmets is a key thing for me.

8. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    TWSS ;)

9. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Formula 1 racing...is it about the formula or the racing?

10. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    The formula.

11. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I know I've said this ad nauseum, but:

MORE POWER
    MORE TIRE
    MORE FUEL
    LESS AERO
    LESS DIGITUDE

Go racing!

12. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    apparently......

13. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    I believe that, for a while there anyway, it was more about the 1.

14. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I see what you did there!......

I thought you were simply referring to it being #1 as in fastest, most popular, & most worldwide etc.

Then I noticed it was a link - man, was I ever shocked when that disgusting mans site showed up! :(

Cheers,
    Ian

15. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    IMHO Flav is a genius.

16. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    he no worse than Audi's Ullrich

17. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    A single plane front wing, no more than 3" thick at any point with a laterally straight profile.
    End plates no more than 4" tall, rectangular, flat, without cutouts or notches.

A single plane rear wind no more than 4" thick at any point with a laterally straight profile. End plates no more than 6" tall at any point, rectangular, flat, without cutouts or notches.

That is, just enough for a little downforce, end to end ballance, and advertizing.

18. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    He may be some kind of marketing genius. But IMO the man should have done time for attempted murder.

Huh?

AFAIK, Ullrich never ordered one his drivers to put himself, other drivers, marshals & potentially spectators at *HUGE* risk.

As poor Jules recently reminded us, this remains a dangerous sport and unforeseen things can happen.

The man is scum, and again, IMO, there's not a true motor sport fan in the world who piss on him if he was on fire.

Cheers,
    Ian

19. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    The 2017 cars will shake things up a good bit guys. No worries.

20. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Not to be polemic but that is exactly how I feel about your hero.

21. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    That's kind of what he's just done in DTM. At least to the same extent Briatore did in F1.

22. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    He *ordered* one of his drivers to deliberately crash on a specific lap so as to bring out the SC so as to give another of his drivers the win?

Source please,
    Ian

23. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Wow!

As has been said many times, if he'd have wanted him in the wall, he'd have been in the wall.

Regardless, they were racing. He squeezed, him, hard. That's racing.

It was not a premeditated, planned, attempt at potentially killing many people.

Ian

24. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    He did it at least 3 times (Nuerburgring, Monaco, Hungaroring). Kinda takes the premeditated away. Having a doofus like Piquet donut into the wall seems a lot less dangerous to me.

Again seriously, without trying to pour gasoline onto the fire.

25. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound