Honda: This F1 stuff is HARD! | FerrariChat

Honda: This F1 stuff is HARD!

Discussion in 'F1' started by TheMayor, Aug 6, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Honda bowing and asking for forgiveness ----

Honda: We didn't expect it would be this hard

Honda: We didn't expect it would be this hard

Honda's return to F1 as McLaren's engine partner has not gone according to plan with the Japanese company admitting they "didn't imagine that it would be this hard".

There were hints of nostalgia up and down the paddock when McLaren confirmed Honda as their power unit supplier from the 2015 season onwards with many hoping it would lead to a return to the glory days.

Of course there is still plenty of time to rekindle the success the two parties enjoyed during the late 80s and early 90s when Ayrton Senna and Alain Prost won four titles between them.

But Honda is the first to concede that things have not gone according to plan so far this season with Fernando Alonso and Jenson Button not only struggling at the back of the grid, but also troubled by reliability woes.

Honda motorsport chief Yasuhisa Arai admits they have underestimated just how much the sport has changed.

"Expectations were always going to be high because of our illustrious history with McLaren," he said. "Most of the fans have a great image of McLaren-Honda's heritage so they expected us to return to Formula One and be competitive immediately. Obviously this has not been the case.

2. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Next up: Seppuku!

3. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    The new McLaren-Honda F1 project looks like it reinforces the old saying...That was then, this is now.

4. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Wasn't Mercedes struggling not too long ago too? And look at them now...
    Ferrari has recently improved, but they're still not winning any titles, and they've been in this game since the beginning pretty much...
    Time to see how things pan out...

5. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    I think it's respectable for Honda to admit it. They are not being egoistic about the situation. I just hope they can pull themselves together and have a better 2016.

6. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Honda is interested in F1 for the R & D aspect, to showcase its technology.

McLaren is in F1 to race and to win.

Those are 2 different philosophies.

If at the end of their cooperation, it proves that it wasn't the success they expected, Honda will say "But we learn so much", whilst McLaren will dismisss it as wasted years.

7. Neonzapper

Neonzapper F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2008
    MD/FL/Philippines
    Full Name:
    Mykol
    +1 Good point! That's how I see it, too. I remember watching Michael Schumacher struggle. At that time, Merc was telling us how much valuable information MS relayed back to the technicians which we see in much of the results today.

8. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
  9. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Yeah - Battling along trying to figure out new technology that you have absolutely no experience of whatsoever by yourself is always far more sensible than employing people who already have experience of it! :rolleyes:

What's that old saying again?......Ah yes: "Pride comes before a fall!" ;)

10. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    IMO a 2017 Redbull-Honda might be in the cards and it might be successful as Redbull have already quite a lot of resources and PU technical know-how

11. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Meh, I think all this culture crap of "we want to do it by ourselves" really is PR crap. Does anybody remember the Hondola? Or their latest (ex-BAR) F1 team? Sooner or later they will buy the know-how if they need to.

12. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    I agree, it's not like Japanese are not known to "take inspiration" from others. OTOH I would love to see the look on Dennis' face if Honda go with Redbull and start then winning straight away with them

13. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    It possibly can happen. Let's face it, lots of parties are throwing Honda under the bus, but, in fact Mclaren's chassis isn't really great. Even with Merc power, they were mediocre at best. IIRC, the last time they won the WCC was like 1998?