Too much time between the races. | FerrariChat

Too much time between the races.

Discussion in 'F1' started by LightGuy, Aug 14, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Between the Summer break and events dropping off the calendar frankly I really don't care anymore when the next race is.
    F1 needs to get its act together.
    They take their audience for granted.
    A sure sign the sport has become bloated.

2. jdmwerks

jdmwerks Karting

Dec 5, 2007
    seems to warrant a new thread.

3. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Next years calendar is a 2 weekend gap instead of the usual 3 and the teams have already complained.

4. Mulehead

Mulehead Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2012
    Yes there is

5. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1

In Europe it's very normal to have at least 2 weeks of in August.

For the guys getting 2 weeks between the races next year in August it's a tough one, after the race they only get out of the country the next tuesday, and normally set up on the wednesday ahead of the race. So in reality their 2 week holiday is shortened to 6 days (they still work the Tuesday and back on Wednesday)...IF they still find the time to go on holiday with the family this reduces the stay to a very short 4-5 days max!

They work amazing jobs, and I'm sure they all realize it but it's not without sacrifice. During the off season they all work still, sure, it's easier to book 2 weeks off, but it rules out a holiday in Europe unless they like snow, so in reality this means booking somewhere far abroad (asia or Caribbean) which means more money again.

The pilots have fewer things to complain about...

Not fair at all IMO.

BTW we used to have a month in the summer break, now that's a tough one! I also remember occasions of having to wait 5-6 weeks in the opening race or 2.

6. bbpathfinder

bbpathfinder Karting

Mar 29, 2011
    Scottsdale AZ
    Bernie is smart, he knows we are gonna watch.cause the next race is SPA! It could be a 2 month break, but does anybody really want to miss the best race of the year?

7. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

In France, it's quite normal to have the WHOLE of August off.

8. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    I think the German GP fell off the last minute this year, which is why we feel the gap is more than it is actually is.

Anyhow, the team need their break to recharge.

9. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Same goes for Italy and Spain.

10. NJB13

NJB13 Formula 3

Jan 5, 2013
    Pampanga,Philippines
    Full Name:
    Norm
    And Greece is thinking about starting to work ;)

11. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    In August yes, but they haven't stated which year...

12. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    When did this summer break thing actually start though?

Its been going on for a few years now so possibly as a a result of Max's insistence?

Seems to me with so much of Europe off on holiday, it would be a perfect time to
    have races on the calendar as not everyone runs off to the Rivera or Caribbean to soak
    up the sun, no?

It is a silly notion. A three or four weeks between races is atrocious but think about the
    WEC which has a (what is it?) twelve or so week gap between Le Mans and Nurburgring
    within the confines of an eight race season. Shrug.

BHW

13. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    It started in 2001 before that they used to have 2-3 races in August. Eddie Jordan was the one who pushed for the holiday/ban on testing.

14. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    It's all very well for the armchair/race going fans to demand they scrap the summer break in F1, but what about those who work in the F1 circus?

What about all those people who have to travel backwards and forwards all around the World, dealing with the jet-lag, the long hours required over a race weekend and the high stress levels of a Grand Prix weekend? - Do they not deserve a break from it all for a couple of weeks?

Do they not deserve to spend at least a couple of weeks with their families and friends for a couple of weeks every year?

Just about everyone else in the (civilised) working World gets to take a vacation from their jobs for at least a couple of weeks per year to help prevent them from becoming jaded, or worse still, burnt out, so why shouldn't those people who work in F1 be afforded the same?

15. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    What about before or after the season?

16. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Yeah, what about that week? - I guess it's filled with sorting out the Christmas shopping!

(Or is it your belief that from the moment the last race of the season ends until the first practice of the following season they all just sit around twiddling their thumbs?).

I take it based on your post that it's also your belief that despite all of the travelling, jet-lag, long hours over a race weekend and stress that goes with the job, the guys and girls who work in the F1 circus, do not deserve a holiday mid-season, as others in far less stressful jobs are entitled to?

17. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    If you want a race every week, try NASCAR.

I wish NASCAR could trim the calendar to get some breaks in like F1 does.

18. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Well, thanks for the sarcasm, but personally, I don't know anyone with a stressful job that gets to take a holiday twice a year.

Just sayin'.......they should toughen up!

Season starts in March and ends in November (this year anyway).....geez man.....there's a 3 month period during which they can have staggered holidays.

19. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Just because you don't personally know any doesn't mean they don't exist!

How does that old song go again? :confused:

Ah yes:

"Walk a mile in my shoes, walk a mile in my shoes
    Hey, before you abuse, criticize and accuse
    Walk a mile in my shoes"

I suggest you try living the life of the F1 guys and girls, with all the travelling, long hours, being away from home/friends/family, pressure etc., etc., etc., before you criticise them!

Spoken like a true armchair fan!

This really does highlight the fact that you have no idea how stressful working in the F1 circus really is and so I'll leave it at that and not bother trying to educate you any further as it is blatantly futile and a waste of My time!

20. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    lol....what's going on here? I'm not pretending to know anything. All I said was that if a holiday is needed, it can be at other times. Yes..it's full on for a few months, but so are plenty of other jobs.

I really don't care either way, but you appear to be getting your knickers in a knot over nothing.

21. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Well, according to you, everyone in a team should work himself to the grave out of loyalty.

Now you want break and paid holidays in the middle of the F1 season!!!

22. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    +1

The GP season is from March to October, which leaves plenty of time to recharge the batteries in the Southern Hemisphere between November and February for most crews.

23. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    #23 LightGuy, Aug 15, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
    Whats with you and armchairs ? Are you some kind of bigshot industry insider or just making remarks from YOUR armchair ?

Look; dont want to be in the entertainment industry (which F1 IS) then fine; work as a mechanic in the local car dealership.

Everyone that enters this arena should know the expectations beforehand.
    Dont like it ?
    Dont enter.
    Its always been that way before this currently PC correct edition of the sport.

The point is Entertainment is built around the fan base. Thats what pays the checks.
    People want to be entertained weekly or every two weeks during the customary season.
    Imagine if Baseball, Football etc treated its fans in this manner. The people running those sports wouldn't dream of such idiocy.

F1 is telling the fans toughski s**tski.
    At their own peril.

Like I said; I'm OK with it because I've lost a lot of interest but a lot of that lost interst is because F1 really doesn't care about the fan's desires.

Treat your customers poorly and they go elsewhere.

24. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

+ 10000 !!!

25. cig1

cig1 F1 Rookie

May 3, 2005
    In front of you
    +1000

In the US the NBA plays on Christmas, NFL plays on Thanksgiving, NCAA plays on New Years Day, MLB plays all summer while their children are on break … it's all about the fans

G