The new starts - Toto Wolff offers some thoughts | FerrariChat

The new starts - Toto Wolff offers some thoughts

Discussion in 'F1' started by DF1, Aug 17, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

I like Toto. Tweak what? You dont get to help anymore and no, it does not 'devalue' qualifying lol! You make a mistake you YOU PAY!
    ------------------------------

New F1 start rules could require tweaks, says Mercedes boss Wolff - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com

New F1 start rules could require tweaks, says Mercedes boss Wolff
    By Ian Parkes Sunday, August 16th 2015, 12:58 GMT

Formula 1's new clutch-start rules may need to be revisited should the drama they are due to deliver go over the top, according to Mercedes motorsport boss Toto Wolff.

The start to F1's Belgian Grand Prix has often been engaging, but the beginning to next Sunday's race at Spa-Francorchamps may prove even more striking.

The FIA has banned remote assistance from the pitwall to help cars get off the line, and instead starts revert back into the hands of the drivers.

Mercedes finds multiple reasons behind recent poor starts

Reigning world champion Lewis Hamilton expressed expectation the starts would become "more unpredictable", potentially lead to "more weaving", and in a worst-case scenario even be "disastrous".

Although still believing it to be "a good idea", Hamilton did suggest "it is not going to be the right thing and it is going to be adjusted".

Wolff concurs with Hamilton that work might be required, should the new starts ultimately produce an undesired effect.

"I think what he [Hamilton] says is right," Wolff told AUTOSPORT.

"We wanted to make the starts more variable and unpredictable, to give more responsibility to the driver and make it look less 'remote control' from the garage.

"This is the first exercise in tuning technology down for the sake of the entertainment, and all the steps which have been done are understandable.

"But is it going to cause drama beyond expectations, or variability beyond expectations?

"If so then it will need to be looked at again and adjusted.

"What none of us want is completely unpredictable starts for everybody which then completely devalues qualifying.

"It is going to be learning on the job, but Formula 1, the FIA and the stakeholders have shown in the past we are pretty flexible in adapting things for the sake, or safety, of the sport if required."

2. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    This whole starting debate is hilarious. These are the worlds best drivers (some may disagree…) driving the worlds best racing cars (some may disagree…). I presume they all know how to get a normal road car, and any other race car up to and including an F1 car off the line. How hard can it be to expect them to start their F1 race cars in a race? If it's too hard, then the clutch system should be simplified until it is easy enough to use…

3. NJB13

NJB13 Formula 3

Jan 5, 2013
    Pampanga,Philippines
    Full Name:
    Norm
    So we get some new rules that don't suit Mercedes and suddenly Toto and co are all for immediate changes.

4. DF1

Subtly yes. They know and have shown they are vulnerable at the start.

5. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    What an idiot. Devalue qualifying?! Get real totonator.

6. JWeiss

JWeiss F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2010
    NYC and Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    JWeiss
    With control going back to the drivers, and the challenges of getting the bite settings exactly correct, I heard some of the teams are exporing a complicated mechanical device that gives the driver infinite continuous control over the clutch at the start. Something about a foot-operated control of some sort...

7. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Big +1

8. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Hamilton and Toto are scared.

Very intimidating : P

9. Mulehead

Mulehead Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2012
    Toto needs to use the foot to optimize Hamilton starts my dad used his belt to optimize me I would have taken the boot gladly

10. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Hmmm... so if some drivers are unable to manage to start effectively... we need to change the rules? Good Lord! What is happening to F1?

11. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    What you say makes perfect sense.

I cannot see what all the fuss if about.

Another storm in a tea cup ...

12. Mulehead

Mulehead Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2012
    I thought it's call f1 not xbox or playstation

13. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    What happened to the idea that we watch F1 to see the worlds best drivers tame powerful race cars with their own personal skills. Skills that we can only dream of having. I see no allure in watching Pastor, Sergio, Max, Will or Roberto push the launch button, which may or may not engage an exquisitely written computer program. I want to see drivers demonstrate their skill with a clutch.

What's next, braking and steering programs? Why not allow the engineers to employ modifiable programs that will cause the brakes to be applied in the optimal manner determined for each corner? Or even AI programs that "learn" the optimum braking profile, corner by corner through the course of free practices?

14. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Note to self: if you're winning and a new rule is set to shake thinks up, appeal against it for security concerns

15. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I remember in MotoGP before traction control how brutal the racing was. I'm not taking anything away from the current riders but taming a MotoGP bike 8-10 years ago was something completely different.

I only want the cars to go faster up to the limits of the driver. I don't want artificial nanny-programs filling in where the driver is weak or simply can no longer manage the power/car.

I'm all for mechanical evolution, but software to drive the car is counter to what racing is all about. Are we going to evolve to driverless F1 cars where Lewis is just sitting on some yacht with Rhianna or Kendall Jenner on a Sunday playing driver on his iPad while getting a bj?

16. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
  17. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Like i've mentioned before...F1 tends to house the biggest cry babies and whiners around.

18. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
  19. DF1

20. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Virtually every car manufacturer plus Google and Apple are working overtime on their "self-driving" cars. The more say the manufacturers have in racing, the closer we get to F1 being a proving ground for their ideas.

21. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    How did it cost him a win? He couldn't catch Kimi, let alone Seb. It has been a couple weeks though, I may have forgotten. : )

But in general I agree, he should be saying it gives him a chance to be better than everyone. Especially when Hamilton didn't have a good start last race anyway.

22. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    When asked which tires he wanted, he shouted '' the same as Lewis '', even though they would be the slower tire. At the time I found it a bizarre command, I think I wrote it here actually.

It's so important to him that he beats Lewis with everything equal, that he lost sight of the big picture. Because had he beaten Lewis, there would be stories going round that he only beat him because he was on a faster tire. Nico is terrifyingly unsecure of himself. This is why he won't be a world champion.

23. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ah now I remember. Yes that is not good. Thanks for reminding me.

24. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Isn't that sort of the right thing to have done, though? Nico's only threat this year is Lewis. No one other than those two has a chance to win this year, and Mercedes WCC is also a sure thing unless something unimaginable happens.

It sort of makes sense that Nico's going to cover Lewis' moves. Nico is as fast as Lewis, so why risk the soft tyre which may not have made the distance if Lewis is on the hard tyre? If Lewis had been on the soft tyre, and Nico copied, then sure, they would have both been faster, but at least if the tyres went off, they both would have suffered from that problem.

So...did that choice cost Nico the race win? Maybe....who knows....but at least, without that puncture, he had his only real threat covered. The WDC....THAT'S the big picture...not MAYBE winning another race.