Mclaren claim a Spa engine update will put their engine on par with Ferrari | FerrariChat

Mclaren claim a Spa engine update will put their engine on par with Ferrari

Discussion in 'F1' started by toil, Aug 17, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. toil

toil F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 23, 2014
  2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  3. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Results talk and BS walks. I agree with you. Just score a few points, and then talk.

With all the hype over the P1, maybe they should race that.

4. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1.

Making big claims regarding their power ambitions is good fun and all, but they've had a very, very tough year so far and the media is all over them. If they fail to produce this power, or have yet more blow ups, or fail to make it on fuel...Making a big claim like they did is just not clever.

Rather make sure they qualify better, and make sure they finish the race before boasting about power claims.

5. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    ....But will it hold together?

6. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    In future news:

McLaren suffers double engine failure at Spa.

7. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    LOLO, so uncle Ron claims he as a good chassis but engines in crap, Hondsa says Engine will be on pair with Ferrari but chassis sucks!!! WEll, if Ron speaks the truth and so does Arai, they should have no problem in fighting for a podium finish next weekend...anything below that will just show they'r both full of crap....

8. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    lol. whole boatload of humor today on fchat.

9. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'm still not sure McLaren know how to make a car perform in the modern day F1. It will be actually sad if the Honda engine does prove to be a performance jewel at some point but only to saddled with a non-performing chassis.

I think Boullier even said just recently you're never going to win a championship as a customer... you have to be a factory or works team. You need the real engine from the manufacturer, but you also need the car. Williams for instance will never win a championship as long as they have a Merc engine. If RB switches, neither will they.

To me this just highlights the need for more engine builders in F1. I'd like to see Ford, Chevy, and others build engines and by sole suppliers to teams. Maybe it's not feasible but I almost don't see the point of a team like Haas getting into F1 using a Ferrari engine. They'll never beat Ferrari to a WDC using a customer version of a PU.

10. RallyeChris

RallyeChris Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2012
    Northport, NY
    Full Name:
    S.C.Conigliaro
    At the end of the day, F1 is a business. Teams can make a lot of money finishing 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th in the WCC. While winning is the ultimate goal, profit trumps on-track success. I believe Haas will be profitable relatively quickly with their approach.

That said, you can lose a lot of money very quickly in F1. Depending on how you read financial reports, individuals can make a good bit of cash while the team piles-on debt. Guys involved in F1 these days are not stupid, and are generally very successful business people. They manage to make money for themselves regardless of the "success/failure" of the team in general.

11. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
  12. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Interesting they compare themselves to Ferrari, considering what happened the last time Alonso was with macca. :\

13. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    What we need is engine suppliers that don't have their own team!

Nothing wrong with an independent supplier selling its power units to private teams on a non-preferential basis, but it shouldn't have its own squad at the same time, or there is an obvious conflict of interest.

We need independent power units companies, like Cosworth, HART, Judd, etc... used to be in the past, selling without preference and discrimination.

Apart from that, if Haas wants to play second fiddle to Ferrari, why not?
    Haas may be just putting a toe in the water, and switching engine supplier after a few years, who knows?

14. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    ^^^^^^^^

They might have good power over one lap, but a claim suggesting their harvesting problems are over that fast would be a miracle. Maybe they're just talking about the engine part?

15. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    As long as they get their cooling issue continuously solved, they should be able to turn it up. That engine is a masterpiece of engineering like the Merc. They just need to get it together. I think next year they will be competitive....so I hope.

16. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    +1000

stop updating the whole world what is your target, what is your next move, etc. Just get on with it. And let the racing do the talking.

17. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    The more they speak, the more i wan't to see them fail.....

18. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Honda has been getting a lot of flak lately. Saying that the chassis is not so great either is just self-defense or maybe it´s that McLaren has already a plan B for 2016 and Honda is trying to find another host?

19. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Oh dear - classic face palm from Honda (yet again)…

To claim the engine was good on power in Hungary is utter rubbish. They were blown into the weeds on the short hungary straights - that is purely down to power. Their performance was saved by the chassis being good in the corners.

Now they have jinxed themselves ahead of Spa by claiming to be up there with Ferrari, I look forward to hours of hilarity that will follow - and the inevitable pictures of unhappy Japanese engineers staring at (very expensive) blown up engines.

20. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

McLaren-Honda is not expecting to see a drastic improvement in its performance at this weekend's Belgium Grand Prix and will instead wait for Singapore to get a true reflection of its upgrades.

McLaren not expecting big step until Singapore

21. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I cannot see the point of making wild statements, at the risk of being left with egg on your face later on.

Is it to satisfy PR? Is it in reply to "investigating journalism"? Is it spin?

I can't see the sense of it.

22. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    I guess it's just for amuzing us..;)

23. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    It's just to keep people, the fans etc, updated on what is going on. Pretty much like how people post on social media what is happening in their life.

However, I think it's a big mistake for them to keep updating.

24. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    So on one hand they say they can catch/match Ferrari at Spa, and on the other, they say significant improvement only in Singapore. Wow. Just wow.

25. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I'm not sure McLaren's PR department is actually talking to the engineers. :eek:

I'd like to see them move up the grid, but I'm heavily skeptical.

All the best,
    Andrew.