Spa predictions 2015 - New start and starting procedures :) | FerrariChat

Spa predictions 2015 - New start and starting procedures :)

Discussion in 'F1' started by DF1, Aug 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

We are on again. F1 is back. A long break but now its time for one of the best races. Weather is going to be nice overall. We should have speed.

New starting procedures might make things very interesting like Brit and Hungary GP's. So we do have some uncertainty.

SKY F1's race points - Ten F1 stories to follow after the summer break | F1 News

Qual
    Nico
    LH
    Kimi

Race
    LH - I think he will maximize his efforts due to his probs in Hungary
    Nico
    Vettel

Nothing shocking about my predictions but Hungary shows there is still alot that can happen in F1!

2. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
  3. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Mercs lock out in quali with ferraris 2nd row. Poor start from mercs, Vettel wins kimi 2nd followed by mercs. Easy track to overtake on

4. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

I like that but also it helps Mercedes recover faster. They have the speed and downforce advantage. I think they will win but Id like to see them struggle a touch.

5. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    True. But Ferrari has shown they have great speed during the race in clear air.

Merc tends to mess things up as soon as they're not 1-2.

6. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Spa being Spa, rain is scheduled for Sunday "end of the afternoon".
    And Spa being Spa, I wouldn't be surprised at all should the rain decide to come earlier...

Rgds

7. RallyeChris

RallyeChris Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2012
    Northport, NY
    Full Name:
    S.C.Conigliaro
    Q:
    Ham
    Kimi
    Vet

R:
    Vet
    Kimi
    Ros

Ham gets caught-out during switch to wets when the rain comes

8. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    And will blame team for it presumably. Then over the next week or 2 we'll have to hear that he's not sure if Merc is the right team for him in 2015.

Just a guess.

9. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Kimi or Seb will take it....nico and ham will come together...Alonso will blow up while resisting an overtake from a Marussia.....

10. JWeiss

JWeiss F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2010
    NYC and Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    JWeiss
    70% full throttle? Only question is one fried Honda to go, or two.

11. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I think a mixed result, maybe a Ferrari to squeeze the mercs and make it a 1-3 or 2-3 for merc, if we can resist them on the long fast stuff. Hopefully they will get some gremlins in the works at the start, it would be lovely to see them swamped not only by Ferrari but maybe a red bull and Williams or more..... Fireworks would ensue and a certain driver will likely take to the gravel or playing bumper cars in his over exuberance

12. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Quali Lewis, Kimi, Vettel, Nico

Race, Kimi jumps Lewis at the start. Builds lead to 17 seconds. Ferrari call him into the pits to switch to inters with 5 laps to go because there is a 10% chance of rain on Monday.
    1st - Lewis, 2nd - Vettel, 3rg - Bottas (from 4th row).

13. Mulehead

Mulehead Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2012
    Do a rain dance

14. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Well I suppose I will have to check that out in person :)

As for the race: this being a driver and power track the MBs will do fine and Seb comes in 3rd

15. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    We'll quickly learn who is good with the clutch this weekend. There will be some surprises.

16. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Quali - Ham Ros Vet
    Race - Ham Vet Bot

17. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    It'll be interesting to see what RB and Williams can do. RB may be a non-factor given it's a power track, but they looked like they took a big step in Hungary. Williams to me are always the wild card. They have the opposite problem of Merc. When Merc aren't 1-2, it's the Keystone Cops with them... it's like they are completely unprepared for any alternative outcome. When Williams are leading, they seem to have the same problem. they don't expect to be there and have no idea what to do.

I think Force India, Williams, RB, and maybe even Sauber with their latest upgrades are starting to bunch up. It could be interesting. Ric seems to be on this campaign lately trying to remind anyone who will listen that he was a winner last year. I think he sees his career dissipation light blinking wildly on his steering wheel as other drivers have come out of nowhere to eclipse him in the hub-hub of F1 and are being talked about. He's a solid driver, but I still think until he wins a clean race without somebody else having to fail... the jury will be out on him, though I think he's got the goods. I think the absolute worst thing that can happen is that RB switches to the Merc PU. He'll never win a WDC as a customer driver.

I hope Seb takes it. I just hope Kimi can have just one clean race... no car problems... not getting hit.... not doing his own self-implosion with some stupid spin or whatever it is he does. If he doesn't qualify well... he's doomed.

18. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Help me out here please. What's the deal with the clutch?

19. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Spa is all about how much speed you carry through Eau Rouge on to Kemmel. Kimi has been a master of that. How he handles that will tell us all we need to know about his future.

20. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Me likey.

21. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    A new "regulation" forbids the teams to send radio indications to the driver, and the "inboard datas" from the car itself can't tell it either, about the best friction point for the clutch and the way it "bites" at its best for the start. They have now to "feel" it by themselves.

Rgds

22. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Ah, gotcha. Merci!

Yup, that'll damp down some of the rocket starts we recently saw.

23. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    First race with new start procedure. Clutch bite point cannot be modified after leaving pits. The clutch bite point will change as the clutch temp changes, so now the drivers have to figure out where the clutch will engage on starts and modulate it themselves vs relying on the computer and the team to set it based on data. At least that is my understanding.

24. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Too fast for me ; )

25. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    I started better, I'm already trained on this new clutch procedure....

Rgds