F1 technical ? | FerrariChat

F1 technical ?

Discussion in 'F1' started by Tokyo Drftr, Aug 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tokyo Drftr

Tokyo Drftr Formula 3

Jan 18, 2009
    UA-USA-JP
    Full Name:
    Ро&#1081
    Maybe a very odd question, but have been having long running debate with a friend. Seeking input from first hand experience.

My friend and I both campaign race cars and build for customers. I researched that soldering creates a failure point and crimping promotes better conductivity. He brags his custom looms are all soldered. I crimp/shrink wrap, with high quality bare connectors and hydraulic crimp

Do formula 1 teams, when connecting wires, crimp, solder or crimp&solder. Anyone know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I am not an expert - but Thought F-1 is using fiber optic for a lot of wire connections? I remember seeing a lot of "multi plug connectors" when in the pits last year... if I find a pic I'll post.

3. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I'm no expert these days either, but I think the answer is "it depends".

[Hows that for a cop out! ;) ]

For sure soldered joints are very susceptible to vibration damage. FWIW, we used to crimp then solder most stuff before covering with shrink wrap and sometimes "silicon paste" over the whole mess. "Belt & braces" always seemed like a good approach to me.

Tom; Fiber makes sense, but I don't believe that's what they're using right now. Here's the connector specs for the standard ECU from Mclaren;

We also have to remember that fiber is "sensitive" to vibration failures in pretty much the same way as solder - Jiggle 'em around too much and they will fail!...... Military grade connectors are the way to go.

Cheers,
    Ian
    TAG-320 | Electronics | McLaren Applied Technologies

4. Tokyo Drftr

Tokyo Drftr Formula 3

Jan 18, 2009
    UA-USA-JP
    Full Name:
    Ро&#1081
    Thanks for all the info. Fchat rocks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    As noted, I don't think so. Were you looking at small diameter, probably orange, wires? [They look a lot like fiber!].

If yes, I'm pretty sure that's come from aerospace; They have some **** that looks like it'll melt @1-3amps that'll carry a hundred - No problem! ;)

That would be cool! ;)

Cheers,
    Ian