Red Bull joining Mercedes ? | FerrariChat

Red Bull joining Mercedes ?

Discussion in 'F1' started by william, Aug 22, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Red Bull wants Renault answers amid termination talk

Red Bull wants Renault answers amid termination talk | Formula 1 news | Motorsport.com

Paddock sources have indicated that Red Bull has sent a formal notice of termination to Renault, a move that would seem to indicate that the management is confident that it already has an alternative deal lined up, most likely with Mercedes.

So, RB and Renault are heading for a divorce, apparently.

Interesting to read that MB should supply them with engines though; it has been rumoured so many times that there was no love lost between Mateschitz and the Mercedes management.

Probably pragmatism will triumph. Mateschitz may as well swallow his pride and consider that Mercedes is a better alternative than a late-coming AUDI as he suggested in the past.

2. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Call me crazy, but I believe they may be courting Honda. Just a guess

3. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

They may have no other alternative, who knows?

4. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    6mths ago I would of called you crazy... Now it's a real possibility :eek:

5. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    This would be great IMHO.

6. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    That was the rumor last December. This was a long, long time coming.

7. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I'm honestly struggling to believe in Honda atm. I had quite high hopes for them in the pre season, even said they could well be a surprise and surpass Mercedes (!) but couldn't be further from the mark.

IMO Renault have really been trying to raise their game and at least have decent power now. if they find the reliability issue it won't be a terrible engine at all. Whereas the Honda still needs to find HUGE improvements on all fronts.

8. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    I think Mclaren has the exclusive for next year as well (how lucky!). My guess is if they don't stay with Renault, they put Ferrari engines in the Toro Rosso and Mercedes in their cars. Then 2017 either Honda or they help VW producing PUs after all the knowledge they've accumulated.

9. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Do you think Audi/VW are looking to get into F1 then?, it would fly in the face of everything they have said on the matter before. I would have thought seeing Hondas struggles would have helped push them the other way rather than want in. Then again, they are fighting Mercedes in the prestige markets all the time, maybe they see it as marketing strategy to come and try to beat them, but with merc so strong that could be a really challenging strategy

10. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    For sure VW have never been this close to get involved and every move Red Bull do has to be read in accordance IMO

11. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    It would be entertaining I guess, and always good to have another engine supplier. Just hope they don't enter (like Mercedes) with daft stipulations of fuel economy and road car relevance and cause every other manufacturer issues

12. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Red Bull are signing Alonso and Maldanado, hiring Ron Dennis to run an all Italian team, and will be using this line up to power an engine driven off of Hot air.

13. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    So the engine will definitely have more power than the Honda engine then! :p

14. Hollywood-GP

Hollywood-GP Karting

Jun 15, 2015
    So Infinity Red Bull Team powered by Mercedes... with Infinity being part of the Renualt/Nissan empire, whats that Infinity sponsor money worth? or might we see what happened in 2009 with the BMW Sauber powered by Ferrari???

15. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    With the money that Red Bull makes every year, do you really think that they are that reliant on the Infinity money? :confused:

16. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    It is, I believe, part of the team name. If Red Bull changes it, they risk losing their $$$ from Their WCC's if not approved to keep it anyway. There is no guarantee it would be ok-ed that they keep the money.

17. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Reno say that there is no performance clause but Ted was suggesting that this move is to force Reno hand to buy Lotus and then RBR can go to Merc etc.