Max vs. Lewis | FerrariChat

Max vs. Lewis

Discussion in 'F1' started by Beau365, Sep 18, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau
    In two years time, with Max in an equally competitive car.
    Good battle ?

2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Fingers crossed.

Hope Ferrari snatches him up sooner than later. If Max continues to drive like he does (and improve likely), the battles will be absolutely fantastic to see.

3. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau
    as much as I'd like to see Max in a Ferrari, there's a danger he'd get No.2 status. Ideal scenario would be a Merc seat for straight fights and comparison

4. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Yes thats my worry too. I want him in Ferrari but I don't want Vettel to leave or have an internal rift.

5. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I suspect that Kimi is keeping the seat warm for Max.

6. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Max will wipe the floor with Vettel...

7. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    . . . or wipe him out as he did to Grosjean at Monaco. Vettel has 4 WDC's, I guess he is a just a lucky, no talent bum.

8. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Much speculation here ...

Let's see Max Verstapen collect 4 WDCs first, then we can talk ...

I remember his father Jos being heralded as a prodige driver too and being snatched by Benetton, and look what happened to his career...

Vettel has a proven record to show.

Verstapen has lots of expectation on his shoulders so far...

9. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    No speculation but expectation, and for the other part of your comment: past results are never a garantee for future results. We saw some great examples of that in F1 over the years.

10. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Max sure is fast and can probably be as fast as the best out there today. But he won't have sufficient strategic maturity for a few years. That isn't an issue today as strategic decisions have been taken out of the cockpit completely. With the reduction in pit to car radio, the drivers will have to wise up fast to strategy. Max doesn't have it because he's very new to the sport - and I have no idea whether he is bright enough to develop it. Maybe he can. Maybe he can't. Who knows. Equally, Hamilton doesn't have strategic intelligence - and I'm not sure he's capable of developing it.

11. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    :eek:

You're just saying that to wind up the twins knowing they can't respond! ;)

I'm certainly not his biggest fan, for sure, but I do think that's a little harsh.

Even given the best seat in the house, he is pretty damn good; certainly top 3-4 right now.

Cheers,
    Ian

12. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    ROFL.

Based on....?

13. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Too soon to tell IMHO.

14. rotaryrocket7

rotaryrocket7 Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2011
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Full Name:
    Matt
    being fast doesn't mean skilled race craft and winning...There's a lot of learning between one to the other.

15. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

You cannot take away Vettel's 4 titles, and it has yet to be proven that the prodige Verstapen is better than him.

So, it's very much a speculation on your part that he will "wipe the floor with Vettel".

Just like pie in the sky, it has to be seen.

Vettel has been very much underestimated because he had a very good car in a strong Red Bull team. Now, he doesn't seem to be struggling with a not-so-good car at Ferrari.

16. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    from Cambridge online dictionary

Speculation: guesses about something without having enough information to be certain.
    Expectation: the feeling that good things are going to happen in the future.

So I guess we are both right. But I stick to the latter, just because I am a glass-is-half-full type of person;)

17. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Call me when Max Verstapen has 4 WDCs to his name ...

18. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Sure why not? I remember when no one thought this British kid could come in and challenge 2x WDC Alonso.

19. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Utter BS

This forum is all over the discussions that the driver with the quickest and most reliable car will be WDC. Vettel was accomanied by second tier drivers in the other car and drove the quickest car. Simple.

Call me again when he is WDC with Ferrari. Than I might change my opinion. For now however, a guy with his very own ( R*****konen SUCKS thread) is quicker than Vettel in many occasions.

btw The guy's name is Max VerstaPPen

20. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    #20 william, Sep 18, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2015

Call me again when VerstaPPen has 4 titles to his name. That cannot be before 2020!
    Vettel may never be WDC again, but what he has achieved cannot be taken away, as much as you would like to dismiss his success.

What has VerstaPPen achieved so far, that I should be in awe of him, and start kissing the ground he is threading.
    Just tell me !

Many WDCs won titles without much challenge from their team mate, or because of team orders. What should they do? Renounce the honour of being WDC?

And the notion that some drivers are more deserving of their title than others because they, allegedly, had less competitive team mates is also utter BS.

21. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Poor VerstaPPen. He's already collecting fanboys. I suppose he might equal Hamilton on those even if he's miles away in WDCs?

22. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Could well be possible. Dutch F1 viewers went up by 600 thousand (!), which is insane considering how small this country is.

I suspect the vast majority is the likes that turn the TV of as soon as he's out (based on my speaking to others around here). I've never understood this way of watching TV before and likely never will. I don't tune into cycling just because a dutchman is doing well, because cycling bores me to tears.

23. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Personally, i think Max is probably a better driver than Hamilton. Hamilton has been lucky his entire career. Being at the right team/car at the right time.

So far, in a mediocre car with Mclaren, 2011 i think, or 2010, and Jense beat him overall isn't it?

24. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Verstappen certainly has better overtaking ability, which is a huge treat needed to be ''a great''. Whenever Hamilton has not been in the front and had to go forwards, he's had an awful lot of tangles with others, damaging his wing (anywhere from some bits missing to entire wing destroyed) and worse. Verstappen has made a couple of contacts this year, but it's only his 2nd season of racing cars (!). For Hamilton to still make quite a few amateur mistakes even when he's been racing for so long, and especially right now when he's in by far the fastest car...there's no excuse. Hamilton showed in his first season he had no patience when overtaking, didn't time it properly, and caused accidents. Fine, first season (even the 2nd, it's all fair game), but races like Hungary have shown us he's learned absolutely nothing regarding self control or an idea of car placement.

And that, in my opinion, is why he's not a great.

Back to Max, he's certainly proven he's absolutely fantastic at overtaking. I think he somewhat lacks in single lap pace, though I'm not sure how much of this was (car) problems related on either TR driver. Race Pace he seems to have the upper hand on Sainz, as is necessary.

We'll see a lot more on him. He's still 10 years short of reaching his prime...

25. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands

A bit of dumb comparison to come up with the 4 Vettel titels in relationship to Verstappen; Verstappen never got the chance to rival Vettel in the same era, let alone in the same car and under the same conditions during those 4 years.

This is a mechanical sport first and foremost; ask Hamilton today and during his "non Senna-esque" absence in the Vettel years.