Gotta love the cost cutting! | FerrariChat

Gotta love the cost cutting!

Discussion in 'F1' started by classic308, Oct 4, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
  2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    To be fair they said most of it contributed to the bonusses they had to give out.

That said, cost model for F1 is completely wrong.

3. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    I like that bonus structure-maybe I should go work there

It will be interesting to see how this compares to this yrs results. The #s won't be this high but depending on what they are how long would/will Mercedes keep their 'foot in it'?

The fcars might be back on to sooner than later

4. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    A team like Mercedes is allowed to go deep in the red because it has a huge company behind.
    A small indepebdent team would have been chased by creditors well before reaching that sum, and possibly made bankrupt.
    That's the difference.

5. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Actually, 77 million for an all-winning F1 team is not too bad. Mercedes can afford that.

6. RallyeChris

RallyeChris Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2012
    Northport, NY
    Full Name:
    S.C.Conigliaro
    When you consider the global exposure the brand receives from participating and winning in Formula 1, it's a huge bargain.

7. johngtc

johngtc Formula Junior
    Owner

Mar 4, 2005
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    John Gould
    I guess one key question is 'How many additional vehicles does Mercedes sell as a result of incurring their share of the expenditure?'

The cost to Mercedes is rather less than the headline turnover, once contributions by Bernie and the other sponsors is deducted, but it is still a very significant sum, It's not as if the inventor of the automobile's company needs a lot of exposure!

8. Neonzapper

Neonzapper F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2008
    MD/FL/Philippines
    Full Name:
    Mykol
    #8 Neonzapper, Oct 4, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
    +1 Why pour out 100% of your world advertising dollars to an agency, when you can enjoy the expsoure of F1 as well?

9. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    #9 tervuren, Oct 4, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
    It cost Mercedes about $52 per road car sold last year - to put that number in perspective.

It cost them an eight and a half minute commercial for the super bowl.

Most of the increased costs come down to a lack of testing, instead, you hire hundreds of simulation experts if you want to win.

10. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    And yet I still have zero interest in ever buying a Mercedes....

11. johngtc

johngtc Formula Junior
    Owner

Mar 4, 2005
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    John Gould
    But how many cars would they have sold without this expenditure? how many extra cars did they sell because they went racing?

Admitedly, part of many advertising budgets factors in 'reassurance' - helping existing buyers confirm to themselves that they made the right decision and will buy again - but Mercedes customers tend to be more loyal than most. It is the cost of extra sales that really matters.

12. rotaryrocket7

rotaryrocket7 Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2011
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Mercedes is still working to be a more relevant brand to the 30-45 age segment, exposure like F1 and other racing help with de-aging your brand.

You can never know how many cars sold strictly due to being in F1, but the other benefit is greater exposure in many markets that might not otherwise attract marketing spend.

13. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    This is all too true and no doubt they are currently and constantly pouring over their data to try and get some reassurance that these 30-45 yr olds want cars like that ugly (sorry m fans!) low rung car they put out a few years ago. If this f1 success is enough to help light that fire it's worth it-but that's a lot of cash. I know I had zero interest last time I bought a dd bimmer

Come to think of it, I don't think I personally know a Mercedes owner that can spell F1!! All jokes, theirs is a different target market in general

14. SWB

SWB Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2006
    Toronto & Ottawa
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Have MB even leveraged their F1 success with actual showroom product? I know they have the AMG Black Series; but Lewis is HALF black. ;)

15. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    I don't understand why F1 doesn't adopt a break even rule like many other sports do...

16. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    McLaren has not been winning for a long time, yet they seem to have no problems selling cars!

17. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Is that all?

In that case, I am glad to have made a contribution to their success, although unknowingly.

18. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

No, in fact the McLaren road cars started being sold in numbers at the same tine that their F1 team faded into oblivion.

I have vision of McLaren leaving F1 altogether in the distant future (10 or 20 years), and Ron Dennis and his shareholders concentrating on the road car side, once the production gets substantial.
    Ron Dennis is very passionate about the road car business, and let's be frank, it's increasingly profitable.

19. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Absolutely. And Mercedes spend more than €4 Billion on R&D for their road cars in 2014:

The F1 team's <€100 million for 2014 is small change in the grand scheme of things.

All the best,
    Andrew.

20. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

These figures only demonstrate the disparity of resources between car manufacturers and private teams.

Car manufacturers are pushing F1 beyong the reach or private teams; is that good?

21. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    If more get involved, F1 wins. If those involved pull out, F1 loses.

Its dicey right now.

22. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    The cost cutting model in F1 is a failure, IMO. But in this case, Mercedes will recoup the losses through their car sales. Plus, they get the marketing done at the same time. Pretty normal, IMO.

23. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I dunno dude..... I'd bet that the "average" Merc buyer (not AMG or Black) couldn't tell an F1 car from an Indycar from a hole in the wall!

F1's certainly not "harming" their image or marketing, and I'm sure is great for employee morale etc, but the old "win on Sunday, sell on Monday" days are long over IMO.

Having said that, if F1 costs 'em a hundred bucks per car sold, and their R&D budget is as claimed, it's not much more than a piss in the ocean..........

Cheers,
    Ian
    PS - 'cept, we have to remember they hired Florian! Bet he didn't come cheap! ;) :)

24. bbpathfinder

bbpathfinder Karting

Mar 29, 2011
    Scottsdale AZ
    They do, as long as Bernie at least breaks even, we get to watch F1.

25. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    It would be essentially impossible to track all of the money flowing through F1.

It would be far easier to track all of the money flowing through USA DOD (a good portion of which is secret, top secret, or even higher.)