Why ''green F1'' is false. The numbers | FerrariChat

Why ''green F1'' is false. The numbers

Discussion in 'F1' started by Bas, Oct 6, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    From a snippet of a larger article by Johnathan noble:

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/analysis-are-f1-s-hybrid-rules-a-failure/

And that, ladies and gents...is why fuel regulating on F1 cars is utterly pointless.

Force them to use Hybrid trucks for european races etc. That'll save quite a bit. Then F1 cars can have decent engines again...

2. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Its been said a Football game uses more energy than a car race.

The point is that the cars are supposedly pushing the green envelope.
    If that's what it takes for some governments and cars makers to be happy I'll live with it.
    I say give them a barrel of fuel and open rules.

As long as the competition is tight I don't care.

3. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    More gas is used to transport the fans than to run the race--by a long shot.

4. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Meh, demagogy, everybody knows it. But that's not the point; I think that hybrid F1 is about keeping up with the times.

5. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Yet F1 is about racing and Mr. @ Mrs. John Q public next door driving a Prius are usually watching Real Housewives and not F1 or any form of racing. We have "man caves" but maybe it is time society realizes a "wife/girlfriend cave" would be the smarter choice. Don't hate me for thinking outside of the box.

6. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

+1

7. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Any large public gathering (sport, showbusiness, political meetings, fairs, pilgrimages, even holidays !) have a very negative carbon footprint, but they sustain the economy and provide jobs too...

8. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Hybrid power unit were wanted by big manufacturers to showcase their technologies.

There were never introduced to save fuel!

9. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Exactly. The quoted article is what's pointless.

10. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    They want an international stage to promote their 'green' technology. That doesn't necessarily mean that the F1 travelling circus is attempting to be greener or more economical in any way whatsoever.

Ecclestone's dismay at these new engines and bringing attention to the hypocrisy of the manufacturers who forced them onto the sport sums it up perfectly.

11. Zaius

Zaius Formula Junior

May 8, 2014
  12. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    If we always look at the bigger picture, it's never ending. We might as well go back to stone age.

There's tonnes of ways to make the environment green again, and forcing F1 or racing, for that matter is not the primary way. Developments in various countries resulting the citizens using public transport and electric trains is more vital, IMO.

13. islerodreaming

islerodreaming Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Full Name:
    John - a proud Australian man
    This is news?? Lets cave in and go back to the 50's and just race in Europe..

John

14. felkind

felkind Karting

Jul 20, 2015
    Nashua, NH
    Full Name:
    Fred
    While admittedly there are few direct benefits for the street cars initiating from the F1's, there are many engineering advances that make it to the retail market. I dislike the term "greener" since it suggests a tree-hugger mentality. What's better than the win-win situation of more power, speed, etc. and less reliance on petroleum products? It's not the fact that F1 uses less fuel. It's the recognition that advances need to be made that allow the values of F1 with lesser environmental costs. Look at some of the newer hybrid "street" cars like the Porsche 918. What does the future hold and who will spend the billions to get us there?

15. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    You think "hybrid car" and say "Prius". I say "LaFerrari". Formula 1 can´t ignore the world we´re living and the technology currently available, or they would end using carburettors like in NASCAR not so long ago.

IMO, Formula 1 technology is already too much restricted just to give the monkeys at the steering wheel their 15 minutes of glory, let´s not do things worse.

16. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    No just the 80's or 90's :eek:

17. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I think we've all known from day 1 since the ''fuel saving formula'' that how much they really save isn't that much on the whole, and that getting the whole show to a track uses so much more fuel that the savings by the F1 cars is a drop in the ocean.

The point of this thread is to have actual numbers of how much is used and how much the cars save.

18. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I agree with you, my bad for mentioning the Prius. F1 should get back to real racing and forget about all the "conforming to road cars" that has ruined our beloved sport. Easier said than done simply because F1 does not care about the true fan's who have spent decades supporting it and praying for a non-spec series. The path F1 is on with all the ERS nonsense and no unlimited testing could mean the end and we live in a "Spec Series" world. The initial downturn began when McLaren was allowed to supply all the teams with ECU's. Also who is to say McLaren did not "tweak" certain ECU's for certain team's?

19. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    One cannot go from full impact to zero impact overnight...and, I don't recall anyone suggesting that F1's immediate goal is/was zero impact...

There is a lot of technology in and around F1, but the real reason it's all done is the racing. A car running an average of 120-140mph for an hour and a half to two hours on less than 100kg of fuel is actually pretty impressive. Monza is >145mph average for 190 miles with stops for tires, braking zones, acceleration zones, etc...while returning >5mpg. Anybody who experienced and remembers the muscle cars of the seventies should realize just how impressive that feat is. My 73 Trans Am barely did better than that when I drove like an old lady.

Sure, F1's overall "green" status is dubious...but it's getting better.

What about "zero emission" cars? Doesn't exist if one looks at the 'big picture' ...i.e., how was it manufactured? ...where does the electricity to power it come from? But every day I see cars with badges proudly proclaiming "zero emissions."

Philanthropy is doing good. Public relations is doing good and telling everybody about it. The corporate green movement is and has been a lot of public relations. Does it stand up to an across the board scrutiny? No. Is it better than it was twenty years ago? Yes. F1 is the same. Are they "green"...? No. Are they doing better than they used to...? Yes.

20. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    The environmental impact of F1 (racing in general) is miniscule, basically none, compared to the number of passenger vehicles the manufacturer's keep pumping out to appease non-racing fans and meet their sale quota's.