Tavo Hellmund: New North American GP Project | FerrariChat

Tavo Hellmund: New North American GP Project

Discussion in 'F1' started by hairy_scotsman, Oct 31, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Some people are talking about Sean Kelly's tweets about his proposed San Diego F1 project as the project Hellmund referred to today. Kelly is saying that he's only talking about it now because it's dead.

Today:

Sean Kelly @virtualstatman 7h7 hours ago
    How intriguing that Tavo Hellmund says he's ready to announce another North American F1 venue..... an area of passing interest of mine....

Sean Kelly @virtualstatman 7h7 hours ago
    When he was bumped from the Austin project we discussed approaching Tavo about San Diego. Hopefully somebody else did! smile emoticon

10/27: We proposed this F1 layout to San Diego officials in 2011. Convention Center is a full-size pit/paddock with pitlane

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I like San Diego as a F1 destination.... I really enjoyed visiting there a few years back.

3. cig1

cig1 F1 Rookie

May 3, 2005
    In front of you
    Best weather in the US

G

4. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
  5. Hollywood-GP

Hollywood-GP Karting

Jun 15, 2015
    COTA was not prepared for the rain... but regardless of the rain this year COTA is not doing anything to draw me back next year. The seating, the infrastructure, long lines for food/drinks, for everyone sitting on the front stretch there there was just one place to go, the velocity lounge. before I go back I would like to know that things are going to be a little better.

San Diego would be a great city to host a race, is it financially feasible though?

6. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #6 TheMayor, Nov 1, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
    I'm not a fan of street racing. COTA is a pretty interesting track. SD would get one heck of a crowd though like Long Beach used to. Sponsorship money would be through the roof.

If COTA gets hurt by Mexican attendance, then SD would pick up a ton more of American attendance. It's a one hour flight from as far north as San Francisco and as far west as Phoenix, not to mention car crazy LA just 2 hours drive away.

Good weather, lots of hotel rooms, and a great place to visit aside from the race. If it happens I see COTA taking a spill.

Biggest problem I see is what Long Beach is going through still today -- complaints from local residents on noise, pollution, traffic and crowds.

7. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Yep. Amazing weather there & I love SD. To be clear though, I included the Sean Kelly stuff because a lot of people instantly assumed that's what Hellmund was talking about yesterday. I've also heard rumors of Northern California among others.

8. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Yep, and I see COTA taking a spill regardless of the weather, or Mexico, or another US race. Their attendance for this year's race was already in the tank long before any weather forecasts rolled in and regardless of Mexico. They've reduced GS capacity dramatically every year since opening, have never come close to selling it all, and have suffered significantly declining attendance every year as well.

9. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    I live in San Diego. No Lewis Hamilton haters allowed back!

10. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    Compared with LA, it's a wee bit too humid/muggy most days. And I live here.

11. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I've been to SD, LA, and SF a few times and laugh everytime the locals tell me how humid it is when I say how perfect the weather was. Coming from Orlando, which is swampland with no ocean/gulf breeze like the FL coasts, California has no humidity...

12. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    My money is as good as anyone's! I will be there if it gets off the ground. Don't worry, I'll bookend it with Vegas each side of the race weekend! They love me there

13. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    The problem with COTA (IMO) is the cost. I haven't gone just because I don't see the value after all costs associated with travel are figured in.

San Diego would be a great destination, but that proposed track looks like ****; just another boring street circuit loaded with right angles.

Mark

14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    people don't believe me, but you can do Montreal for about the same cost. I like COTA and I love Austin, but Montreal is 5x better for F1. Montreal has a great European feel to the race weekend.

15. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    +1.
    I have been going to the Montreal GP for years. The city is nice, the people are super nice and the track is amazing. I attended the COTA GP last week for first time. Even thought the track itself is nice, I didn't like the way they have set up the the food courts and the merchandise stores. Like someone else said before, long lines everywhere. I'm going to give it another chance next year because I had a great time in Austin city. Great restaurants and night life.

16. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Not going to happen, this same topic keeps being brought up every year.

17. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    I agree 100%; plus the metro takes you right to the entrance of the track, so no traffic problems.

18. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I believe you. In fact I've made the same argument. LOVE Montreal for F1. Just love it.

19. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Here's the thing though. Hellmund is 2 for 2. When he first says he's working on something, it's usually pretty advanced already.

20. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    How can a US GP survive if it's constantly being moved?

Since I follow F1, I have seen Riverside, Watkins Glen, Detroit, Las Vegas, Long Beach, Dallas, Indianapolis, Austin, and I may have missed a few.

It seems to me that people want to organise a US GP as an excuse to advertise a new circuit or to revamp a track, and then lose interest after a few years.

The big problem in the US is that F1 doesn't have a circuit it can call "home", like we have Silverstone in Britain, Spa in Belgium or Monza it Italy.

21. ELP_JC

ELP_JC Formula 3

Dec 13, 2008
    Went in 2014, and not going again for the reasons above. The gouging everywhere was insulting, and on top of that you had to wait hours for everything. Figured after 3 years they had their **** together, but nope. Not happy with F1 anymore so might not attend any more races at all. But if I do, I'd try Montreal first, and then Mexico, before returning to COTA. Was really disappointed about the lack of organization. It wouldn't had been acceptable in a 3rd world country on its 3rd year, let alone the US. If it goes down, they wouldn't have anybody to blame but them.

22. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    America is so huge. It's fine if it moves around.

Long Beach though was the best.

23. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    ...and travel is cheap and easy.

24. Axecent

Axecent Formula 3

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    #24 Axecent, Nov 2, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
    I've been to COTA every year for F1. What really pissed me off this year was fighting all of the elements and then having to put up with track personnel on some kind of power trip dictating silly rules, bull**** and disfunctional scanners (like every year). What kind of fool am I? I suckered into buying a PSL....falling for all of the lies that COTA was spraying around. Now I love the facility, don't get me wrong....but you have to be delusional if you think you can build a $450MM racing facility in Texas for road racing and not think you are going to be flushing most of that capital investment down the toilet. And to make money? ****....NoFnWay

25. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    so who are the players that have actual cash in this? is most of it debt they will just declare bankruptcy?