Is the Rat jumping of the Mercedes Ship (Lauda to leave Mercedes?) | FerrariChat

Is the Rat jumping of the Mercedes Ship (Lauda to leave Mercedes?)

Discussion in 'F1' started by 05011994, Nov 3, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    From GP Today:

The simmering feud between Mercedes’ two drivers is not the only tension in the Mercedes motor home at present.

Team chairman and F1 legend Niki Lauda hailed Nico Rosberg’s Mexican Grand Prix victory as well deserved, “I congratulate him that he has fought back from where he was before. In all respects, he was better than Lewis in Mexico.”

At the same time, reports have emerged that not all is well in the relationship between Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff and Lauda. After Mexico, as Lauda conducted interviews with the media, Wolff reportedly called off his post-race press duties and rushed out of the circuit.

A Mercedes PR chief hinted at the discord by insisting that Lauda is not an official team spokesman.

“Sources have told The Times that Lauda is considering quitting the team, possibly as soon as the end of the season,” the London-based newspaper said.

Lauda has also faced pressure with regards to his dual role in the sport, namely his involvement at management level with Mercedes, while being a pundit for RTL at the same time. Critics have cited a conflict of interest with regards to these two high profile positions.

Meanwhile Rosberg bounced back at Hamilton with victory in Mexico, the enmity between the pair was clear to see as they reluctantly shook hands.

“I’m not going to comment on that. I’ll let you judge,” the German said.

Hamilton+Rosberg+Grand+Prix+of+Mexico+Dw4Bx-TOjVkx

2. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    I would be MUCH happier seeing Wolff leave the sport TBH. Can't stand that man.

3. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Very interesting...
    So Lauda said the victory of Rosberg in Mexico was deserved and the reaction of Mercedes is that Lauda is no spokesman of the team...
    And Wolff does not have to say anything when one of his drivers win the race?
    If Rosberg needed any more evidence that he is unfavoured than here it was!

Either Rosberg will taken the money of the next seasons getting second or he better leaves this unloved place as fast as possible. I know that many around here think that the money payed justifies everything but one also have to feel comfortable in life and I doubt he does so at Mercedes at the moment...

4. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1

Incredibly dull and has an air around him which makes me distrust him.

5. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Do hope that Niki will leave...he's mostly there to spout rubbish and fuel fires.

6. IanMac

IanMac Formula 3

Jul 26, 2006
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Ian
    On the other hand he does appear to say what he thinks; we probably can't say that of very many of the high profile people in F1.

7. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Non-Executive Chairman... basically means you have no authority, no capability to do anything. All hat, no cattle.

8. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Mercedes GP is a company run in an efficient way. When Ross Brawn had finished his job (setting a technical team) they got rid of him, now that Lauda has finished his (setting their political power) he´s no longer necessary, Toto Wolff can run the team alone.

9. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Very true.

10. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

+1 clearly not afraid of the management. I admire Lauda for speaking. I do not always agree with him, but its rare. He is a very astute observer. Frankly the team is already fractured and Lauda leaving might just be the first block out of the wall.

11. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    I respect Lauda but I suspect he is really hard to work with.

-F

12. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    The only reason why they're winning is still Ross Brawn imo and it won't take them much to undo all his work.

13. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

It never takes much for an F1 dynasty to end. Not much at all.

14. zippyslug31

zippyslug31 Formula 3

Sep 28, 2007
    PDX
    Full Name:
    Kevin M.
    Lauda should go. I like his honest responses to questions and situations, but his "consultant role" as I've always heard it just seems like an odd distraction. I don't see any other teams with people not in team gear and advertising some left-field brand (Novomatic).

15. toil

toil F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 23, 2014
    I hope lauda stays. Having high profile people stay in tbe sport is always a good thing. He speaks his mind and I like that. Sick of all the pc scripted answers we get given. Let him speak his mind he always gives us news when no one else will. I hope he stays

16. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    IMO Lauda is no longer needed - Too many bosses at MB F1

17. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Put that down to age.

People say the same about me ...

18. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I don't have a problem with that.
    Lauda is probably someone who doesn't accept to be imposed many things.

19. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Lauda was my favorite driver in that era by far.
    That said I don't know if he really brings anything special to MB F1.

20. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Well, Lauda was hired just to show the 'legendary' side of Merc.

I do think the whole team are just bunch of cry babies.