Lotus uncertain in Brazil | FerrariChat

Lotus uncertain in Brazil

Discussion in 'F1' started by william, Nov 11, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Lotus insists Brazilian GP participation not in doubt despite garage lockdown

Lotus insists Brazilian GP participation not in doubt despite garage lockdown

Lotus insists its participation in the Brazilian Grand Prix is not in doubt, despite security staff blocking access to its garage at Interlagos on Wednesday.
    Team personnel were not allowed to unpack the team's freight or continue work on preparing the cars, by officers who were stationed at the front and rear of the garages.
    Images of the security staff were widely distributed on social media, but suggestions that team equipment had been confiscated were wide of the mark.
    A team spokesman confirmed that the team was dealing with the situation – which related to an unspecified 'commercial arrangement' – and there was no reason to suggest the team would not be ready for track action on Friday.
    Tight finances
    Lotus has faced a number of financial difficulties this season, as the team battled to keep its head above water amid ongoing negotiations with Renault about a takeover.
    In Hungary, the team was late in getting hold of its tyres following delays in a payment to supplier Pirelli.
    In Belgium, the team's trucks were impounded following a legal dispute with former test driver Charles Pic, while in Japan Lotus was locked out of its hospitality unit because of unpaid bills.
    Discussions with Renault are ongoing and the team remains hopeful that a deal for the French car manufacturer to resurrect its work outfit will be completed soon.

2. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    It looks like the deal netween Genii and Renault for the transfer of the team ownership will not happen before the end of the F1 season.

Renault wants Genii to face all its creditors first and pay the bills before taking ownership of the outfit.

Smart move it seems !!

3. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    never ending...

4. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1 :(

No hospitality in Japan.

Charles Pic (who!?) gets 'em locked out.

Pirelli won't supply 'em tires until the bills get paid.

One of the "grandee" teams hasn't got a pot to piss in.

Their "leaders" walk out. (Quit?)

A mess indeed.

However, having said all that, seems to me F1's always been thus - Outside the front runners, most of them live pretty much "hand-to-mouth" year on year. Nothing new here.

Cheers,
    Ian

5. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Charles Pic, ex-Caterham I think, brought sponsorship money to Genii in exchange for a drive. They took the money, and never gave him the drive!!

(same story at Sauber with Van de garde).

Aren't you confusing with Manor, where the 2 team principals have walked away?

Yes it's a mess, but that's F1.

6. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    The longer Renault waits the less Lotus is worth. Pretty soon Genii will be paying Renault to take Lotus off their hands.

7. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    None of us have a crystal ball, but all of the questions about why Grosjean would walk away from Lotus for a complete unknown in Haas, especially when the Renault White Knight was about to save the day...

Can't say I blame Grosjean for making the decision he did, when he did. And it seems more and more like he made the right one.

8. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    And, that he is THE Frenchman in F1 makes it look even more iffy that Renault is really the White Knight.

9. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    They better hope Renault does indeed save them.

10. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I'm pretty disgusted that if Renault are to get involved with this team, why take so long to do it, it's like they are trying to put the team completely on its ass, and take away all of their confidence and moral, prior to doing so. I know they have to do their due diligence, but once they have a contract, drawn up by their myriad of lawyers, just get on with it.

How can they imagine in their wildest dreams that the team members facing this sort of embarassment, and the fans being let down and ridiculed, will want to work with them in a positive way when the deal is finally done.

They should either get on with it, announce and pay, or let them get on with fighting for their place in f1. It can't be helping the team being in limbo for so long

11. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1

12. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I think that Renault is very astute in waiting. The longer they wait, the less Genni has bargaining power.

Frankly, Renault should wait that Lotus goes bankrupt, and deal with the receivers instead of Genii. The team would then be sold for a song.

Personally, I think that Renault should get out of F1 altogether, but that's another story...

13. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1 > > > continued
    IMO it's to do with Lopez and Lux. I don't think they've ever done a straight forward deal, everything they get involved with either doesn't happen or goes completely to ****. Also the noise they make about deals, or having paid employees, or drivers, or whatever...and then days/weeks later it turns out none of it was true.

It all seemed so nice back in 2012, the car was pretty damn good, plenty of podiums.

Genii/Lux/Lopez are snakes I'd never consider doing business with. I wouldn't sleep well.

14. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

They only do enough everytime to pacify the creditors for another week, another month, before they are bought off.
    Lopez and Lux look for a buyer, they don't want to invest in the business anymore.

15. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    This sounds at least a little promising going forward; seems Bernie at least believes they'll be back, most likely under Renault name....

From Autosport of course.

Cheers,
    Ian

16. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    It would be funny is Carlos Gohsn pulled the plug at the last minute and announced "We are out of F1 for good"

I cannot wait for that day ...

17. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
  18. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Perhaps...but I think in his position I would have done the same! Don't trust anyone of the top brass in the lotus outfit, a sinking ship hemorrhaging money and was uncertain to make many races this year, who said many times that Renault is ''a done deal'' (and how many announcements did they make over the years that never came true? Exactly...).

I may have made fun of Haas, but I actually think that they'll be fairly decent next year. 2016 Ferrari engine and suspension, so chassis wise they can only do ''so much''. They've got Dallara doing their chassis, so all that needs doing is aero package. I don't expect that to be the greatest at all, but I doubt they've hired any of the NHRA boys and equip the car with a parachute instead of DRS wing!

IMO they stand a good chance of being a regular contenter for points.

(but I also said that Honda would make a good engine for this year;)).

19. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    It could go either way for Grosjean. We'll see in a few months. :)

I wonder if Haas is a stepping stone into Ferrari for him. What do you think?

All the best,
    Andrew.

20. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    "This is why we watch." ;)

As always, I may be wrong (!), but I don't see him at Ferrari; OK, we know they like 'experienced' jockeys, but with all due respect while 'good' he's another journeyman IMO. No way is he the future of Ferrari IMO.

Cheers,
    Ian

21. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1

Though whoever will replace Kimi in 2017 (?) is going to be tough. Verstappens problem is Hamilton AND Vettel...both not really keen to have someone join them who has a point to prove still.

In that case...Grosjean could have a chance as a Ferrari #2. Though I much rather see Bottas or Perez there...

22. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I dunno; after a strong start, Bottles has been something of a disappointment to me this year. A 'solid' #2 to Seb isn't what he's looking for either IMO - Although, a healthy Ferrari sized paycheck could change that opinion I guess......

Perez? Maybe.

Danny Fiat also seems to be maturing and keeping his nose clean too; he did pretty well this year - He beat his highly regarded 'mate after all. (The same guy many here suggested should be the next Ferrari driver of course! ;))

23. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Grosjean did say that it was time for a new challenge anyway.

24. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Love Kvyat. Can't believe I didn't think of him! Kaspersky is Russian. Perhaps they want to be a more prominent sponsor in 2017 ;)