McLaren loses Tag Heuer Sponsorship to Red Bull | FerrariChat

McLaren loses Tag Heuer Sponsorship to Red Bull

Discussion in 'F1' started by freshmeat, Nov 17, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    wonk wonk...

2. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Ferrari 308 Vetro F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    Interesting, thank you

3. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    in my opinion - TAG devalued the Heure brand. there was a time when Heuer was on par with Rolex... today its just a mass market LVMH brand.

4. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Well, Ron Dennis doesn't believe in sponsorship..

5. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I have to say, when mclarens start losing long term partners like this, it does make you nervous that they won't be able to spend their way out of their current funk. New sponsors get harder to find if long time ones are leaving and mclarens can't afford to lose too many more. However, the issue with sponsors has been happening for the last three or four years, not just recently. F1 is a results business, and if you don't get them, you better buck up quickly or things just get worse. Look at Williams, winning everything in the early 90's, but sponsors left in droves once they started falling down the order. They've only really started recovering recently.

6. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I agree, years ago you aspired to a tag watch, these days, even the horologist magazines call them a cheap entry Swiss watch.

7. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I just sold an old Heuer for 25 times what I paid for it. They don't make them like they used to. I guess you could say that about McLaren as well.

8. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Wow...... Must have been a classic. Agree on the team comparison too!

9. Neonzapper

Neonzapper F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2008
    MD/FL/Philippines
    Full Name:
    Mykol
    Well, to each their own opinion. I have several TAGs and like them - especially the style of my Formula 1 model. Yes, they are inexpensive compared to my Rolex, but I clearly see the presence of craftsmanship of several other Swiss watches.

How does TAG compare with Casio? When I was in my teens, I owned a Casio. Perhaps it was the John Candy model. At the present time, Casio is advertising as the official sponsor watch of Infinity Red Bull F1. I think Red Bull has stepped up.

10. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    Any news on what Casio are doing post Red Bull? Leaving completely or signing up with a new team?

Hope they stay. They make some great inexpensive watches.

11. toil

toil F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 23, 2014
    Mclarens time to shine again will be when new regulations come and are less power unit orientated. If they still have the cash to compete by then..

12. JSP

JSP Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Does anyone care?

13. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Ron's word is in the toilet.

Tag Heuer about Red Bull: "It is a young, dynamic, go-getter, perfectly consistent"

This is a not fair.

Well, McLaren may not be young or dynamic or a bunch of go-getters but they are consistently at the back of the field.

14. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Formula 3

Jun 28, 2004
    the deal probably too cheap for uncle ron anyway

no big deal losing this sponsorship

15. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    This is the statement which resonated, TAG Heuer is looking to partner with a younger,
    more dynamic brand such as Red Bull.

Perhaps they're seeing McLaren being bullied around at the back of the pack and growing
    tired of them sticking with their old ways and not progressing with the times.

The news, never the less, is rather surprising given this was a 30 year relationship.

BHW

16. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Who knows. Maybe mclaren has already another watchmaker sponsorship lined up which is what made lmvh readjust their sponsorships around.

17. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    Well... nothing lasts forever. If they were planning to break the partnership, they found the right moment to do it. I don't blame them anyway. On the sinking ship everybody is trying to get out.

18. NJB13

NJB13 Formula 3

Jan 5, 2013
    Pampanga,Philippines
    Full Name:
    Norm
    Hopefully Uncle Ron will stick around for a while longer - personally I think McLaren hasn't yet been punished enough for 2007

19. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    yap, make them pay!!!

20. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    If its anything like Ron's search for a major sponsor when Vodaphone pulled out, don't count on it.

21. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Spot on in every sense, in my opinion, making it apparent that being associated with a team of such historical significance as McLaren means nothing anymore. Maybe if the FIA was not trying to be so PC and once again allowed tobacco sponsorship things world be different?

There are three teams that I have and will always support regardless of who is driving for them and McLaren is one. I pray that a major sponsor will step up to the plate, see what I see, and help McLaren overcome their sponsorship issue.