I Have To Say It | FerrariChat

I Have To Say It

Discussion in 'F1' started by Spasso, Nov 18, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I know I don't spend any time here in this part of the forum, I am a nobody and my opinions are just that.

Looking at F1 from the outside as a viewer and albeit with "some" interest based on my involvement with cars and racing for the last 40 years, I'll never get back the time I spent watching some of the most boring racing on television.

Brazil was was close to the top of boring races of the year.

Aside from Austin I think there were maybe 2 or 3 other races this year that were any good.
    The dominance of Mercedes and the lack of competition otherwise reminds me very much of when Schumacher and Ferrari dominated everything for YEARS, also mind numbingly boring.
    (GP2 is more interesting and almost as fast)
    The only excitement during the race anymore is when Leigh Diffey flips out when a wheel touches the turf or a spider farts on the camera lens.

Until they make some changes to the cars, the rules and the sport in general I'm through with this shiitt.

Shiittcan the overcomplicated power units (the most expensive ever built in the history of the sport), so EVERYONE can afford to compete on the same level. Ditch the fuel flow & REV restrictions and give the cars some downforce.
    I might as well be watching Prius F1 racing.

You fanboys can justify the technical advances and driver talent all you want but the fact remains, this series is BORING.
    I might as well be watching Formula-E.

Putting one driver over another is like playing musical chairs. Put Alonso or Verstappen in Hamilton's car and see what happens.

Currently, the structure of F1 is self serving and has nothing to do with the fan base.

You all can flame me all you want but I will bet there is a LARGE number of people in this forum that feel exactly the way I do but don't voice it.

I have great plans for all the free time I will have on Sundays next year.

( Yeah, I know, nobody cares what I have to say but somebody has to say it)

2. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

I have to admit its easier to tune out a boring race than it used to. I dont alter plans much anymore either because a race is on. The sport is wearing on me as it is simply not what it was and seems to have no discernable direction. Its not about fans much at all. I understand your thoughts. The power struggle with the motors is a bit much and laughable.

F1 is nothing in the end. We all have lives to live. F1 is entertainment. As Ive posted before, if F1 dies or I give up I have other things to do and will be fine in the end :)

3. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Bernie Ecclestone agrees with you.

The FIA has other plans though...

4. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Now THIS I am unaware of.
    It seems Bernie is always talking out the side of his mouth so I tend to tune him out.
    It's hard for me to take anything he says seriously because he is just as self-serving as the sport.

5. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

You have a cool avatar though. Dont leave us! :)

6. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Bernie is a very intelligent man. He knows what's right for the sport, and what needs doing...he just can't at the moment. He's given teams too much power, and others too.

He talks a lot of **** quite often, but he's just stirring the pot most of the time.

--

Many of us here frequently talk about what needs doing... and on other forums too. MANY of the F1 fans are not pleased with the sport currently. There's just a very small percentage that enjoys the current engines.

7. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    And as I've noted before, that's pretty much par for the season. Only *very* rarely are more than 4-5 races what we'd call "good" every season.

I'm also afraid that if we remove the rose tinteds we'll see it's always been thus - In fact, I go back far enough that I still recall we thought we had a belter if more than 3-4 cars even finished on lead lap.

I do agree these PU's kinda suck - both from a sound & complexity perspective. The vast majority of fans don't really give a hoot that they're generating more or less the same power with about 30% less go juice. They're *incredibly* technically advanced, but if the racing sucks, who cares?

As someone else noted recently "I'm a lifer" & will watch it regardless, but I can understand "casual" fans being turned off.

Lets hope for better next year......

Cheers,
    Ian

8. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    RBR has essentially been given engines through sponsorship deals with Infinity, but they have the largest budget in F1. There will always be minnows and there will always be sharks.

I agree that the racing is boring, but it's pretty crass to throw pejoratives. It's not the engine formula and technical advances that are making racing boring...the racing has been boring for a long time. DRS and "push to pass" buttons are attempts to spice up the mix...both have been around for awhile and were meant to address problems that existed long before the V6 turbos.

9. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    The attempts to make the racing exciting and entertaining are a dismal failure.
    As it stands my "perjoratives " are far from crass. I just didn't want to waste the time of the 8 or more paragraphs required to quantify what I was saying....;)

10. ELP_JC

ELP_JC Formula 3

Dec 13, 2008
    Or when he said Hamilton crashed in a 'Bugatti (instead of Pagani) Zonda'. Ha ha.
    I'm going to skip F1 next season, and subsequent ones, until things get a bit more interesting... hopefully with V8s again:). A royal waste of time indeed.

11. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Amen.

May the force awakens next year

12. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I've said this many times.

Get rid of all wind tunnels. Have one computer simulation for everyone to use.
    Get rid of all simulators. Spend that money on real testing.
    Get rid of all electronic information to the pits
    Get rid of all communication from the pits to the driver other than when to pit and safety information
    Allow variations of engine designs
    Have all manufacturers contribute to a 3rd party engine supplier for smaller teams

13. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    You are not alone yet a lot of other racing series are just as boring. Tossing dirt on F1's casket is not just a nightmare anymore, it is close to reality.

14. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    None of these really improve the racing though.

What's needed is wider tires, smaller wings up front, and MUCH less complicated, and simpler rear wings. The one thing that stops cars following each other is the hugely complicated aero and disturbed aero behind the car, which means following a car within a second in front of you, is hugely difficult.

Do what I said, and cars will be able to chase much closer.

Watching some of the old seasons, cars where able to follow each other for lap after lap at .2-.4 of a second of each other. Overtaking was still scarce, so there where other issues too back then...but now cars can't even come within a second of each other!

Why overtaking was still difficult then I'm not quite sure, many reasons...1 is surely pit strategy. Why take the risk if you know you will pit or your opponent soon...

15. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I Tivo and fast forward the race in chunks. Essentially, watch the start and end and don't waste the day!

16. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I still do that sometimes with the 500 mile NASCAR races but feel like I missed out on key aspects but I still channel flip. I think the issue with F1 has been the overall dominance of Mercedes and knowing that their cars would almost be guaranteed the front row of the grid and a 1-2 finish. When MS and Ferrari dominated it was not boring for myself simply because it was my favorite team and favorite driver and MS could make passes where others feared to tread.

It could be that we no longer have a Superman in every aspect we can stand in awe of. My favorite drivers, in order, are VB and finally SB now that he is racing for OUR team.

17. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Han Solo and a Tr in the garage...i think we grew up lovwing the same things!!! i still miss the Tr though :(

18. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    I stopped watching halfway through the season. I just popped in here for a recap and was always happy I hadn't wasted the time. Between all the time I'm gaining no longer watching F1 and MotoGP, I might get a lot more work done next year.

19. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    LOL! Don't leave out the time it takes to pour another glass of wine and the uncorking process.

I couldn't resist, sorry.

20. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    +1

21. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I agree but I also disagree. What needs to happen is a more even footing of all teams.
    Wouldn't it be great to have 4 or 5 drivers with a chance to win at the end of the year instead of 2 already predecided at the beginning of the season?

Try to make little teams have a better chance to be occasional spoilers. It used to be that way. It isn't today because the big makers have the engines they want and the resources that others don't have.

It will always be that way but you can create better balance again AND reduce the costs at the same time.

22. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Yep, completely agreed.

23. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    +1

24. Hamishmoon

Hamishmoon Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2014
    Blairgowrie,Scotland
    Full Name:
    Hamish
    I will probably receive abuse for this as I don't know much about it, but is Oval racing not just as boring as F1 ?? ok there are passes but no late braking into corners or chicanes etc like Webber passing Alonso thru Eau Rouge for example :)

25. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    I'm with you. My GF started watching the races with me a year ago. All we do is complain every race day about the stupid (to us) rules.

Hamilton requested a change in strategy last Sunday. He was told to follow team orders. IOW he wasn't allowed to compete/race with Rosberg.

Who wants to watch a sporting event when the outcome is already known? I want to see them racing for a win, even between the Mercedes guys.

F1 is losing us.