Ron Dennis speaks up | FerrariChat

Ron Dennis speaks up

Discussion in 'F1' started by william, Nov 26, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Dennis "doesn't approve" of Hamilton's lifestyle

Dennis "doesn't approve" of Hamilton's lifestyle

Lewis Hamilton would not have been allowed to have the same kind of lifestyle he has while driving for Mercedes had he stayed at McLaren, according to Ron Dennis.

2. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    Bitter much? He should focus on fixing his crap team.

3. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    lol...maybe that's the real reason lewis jumped to Mercedes. "Lewis....shave that beard and get a hair cut" "go swivel (isn't that what he said when he screwed Alonso?)...i'm leaving!"

His genius move may have been done only so he could wear what he wants :)

4. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I don't think Dennis insist anymore on his drivers having no facial hair: just look at Alonso and Button.

I think it's more the people Hamilton mixes with, the image that comes out and the partying that goes on, Dennis objects to.

One shouldn't forget that Dennis took Hamilton under his wing, financed his learning years and made him the champion he is.

5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #5 TheMayor, Nov 26, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
    Hamilton wrote back: he doesn't approve of McLaren's performance.

"If I were still at McLaren I would never had allowed this level of failure"

Touché'! :)

6. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Hamilton's skill might have had a LITTLE to do with it, but I know where you're coming from.

lol....very good.

7. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    It would be awesome if Alonso dyed his hair blonde and Ron hit the roof. :)

8. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Hamilton wanted a life style of endorsement and Hamilton centered.

Mclaren wanted a racing driver focused on the track.

Didn't know this was new news.

9. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Bruce McLaren sent a message to Ron from above:

"If I were there, I never would have cheated by using Ferrari's secrets. It's unsportsmanlike."

10. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    "Dennis suggested Hamilton's commitment to racing from an early age reflects in a negative way in his personality."

I guess this is with a lot of successful sportsmen: at the age of 18-20, when normal teenagers are partying they are very much focused on their sports because this might be the most important time for their development...Then later they compensate that and with the money on hand this might get excessive. I do not think this is a Hamilton-phenomenon.

As long he is winning there is nothing wrong with it but as soon as he does not (like in the last few races) people raise the question whether this affects the results...But as long as Mercedes and his sponsors are OK with that..

PS: I remember there was a coach in German football who did not allow long hairs for his players...I guess that is why he only trained clubs from the lower half of the chart as he would have never been able to deal with the excentric top players necessary to win a title that way.

11. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Enzo Ferrari could be a bit of a bell end as well, so I think Uncle Ron being a pillock himself isn't such a big deal.....and it certainly isn't news. Frankly, I think Ferrari and Dennis have a lot in common in terms of their life stories, their success and their single mindedness.

And Hamilton's personal style isn't doing him any favors, IMO. It always seems like he's trying too hard. He'd probably be better off just being himself. There's probably a likeable bloke in there somewhere. Humility in a champion is very compelling.

12. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    LOL @ Ron Dennis who didn't even bother to speak to Alonso after he crashed into a wall in Spain. He's definitely one to be criticizing people's behavior.

13. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    There is a guy named Kimi Räikkönen who, during his days at McLaren, was also reputed to heve been fed-up with Ron Dennis advises on his lifestyle...

Rgds

14. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Ron has no sponors worried about driver image now :) He should relax a bit !

15. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1

There's an article somewhere that basically states that Kimi had a severe dislike for Ron and would try avoid speaking to him as much as possible.

--

Ron can say what he wants, but as long as your driver delivers it shouldn't be a problem what he does really.

Ron has an image of his team, Boss suits, clean cut, business types...It helps nothing imo. A fake air of being organized is all it is. (most) People perform best when being allowed reasonable freedom.

16. DF1

Stop making total sense here. We will not have anything to debate or argue about :)

17. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    How the mighty have fallen...
    I wish McLaren the best, because I would like them to win again as soon as possible, but frankly it doesn't seem it will happen tomorrow.

To think that Ron has ousted Martin Whitmarsh for "lack of results"...and came back to put things straight. Martin Whitmarsh has probably not stopped laughing for three years now.

(And for Bas: yes, Kimi got fed up with Ron advises on everything he was doing; BUT...Ron didn't like Kimi bringing his Alsatian dog in the motorhome either: that didn't fit very well with his conception of clean and fit order...Martin Whitmarsh, on the other hand, was kinda fond of Kimi, still likes him today; it was Martin Whitmarsh who tried to sign Kimi back when Ferrari get rid of him in 2009, but it foundered on the Robertson's money aspirations )

Rgds

18. DF1

+1 on Whitmarsh. Very much miss him. True gent.

19. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Yep. I must say that I don't know any of them personally, I am not living in the F1 world, so I may have a distorted perception of who they are, but I was surprised when he was ousted; and things have not been going better at McLaren since he was forced to leave...

Rgds

20. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    Lol spot on

21. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    :)

Never heard about the dog thing, quite funny. There was a recent interview with Whitmarsh, or a quote (you might have linked that article come to think of it!) where he spoke very highly of kimi still.
    Very gentlemanly indeed. back then there where assumptions (I'm sure I've made them myself) that he might have been ''too nice'' for the job. Turns out the problems at Mclaren are far deeper...

22. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    If Bruce McLaren sent a message to Ron from above then I'm pretty sure it would along the lines of:

"Just what the bloody Hell have you done to My team?" :mad:

As for Ron's comments on Hamilton's lifestyle, I'm sure Hamilton's response would be along the lines of:

"Perhaps Ron should worry more about his teams performance than My lifestyle. I've just won My third World Championship with My lifestyle whilst McLaren are languishing 2nd from last with his lifestyle! It seems to Me that he might have got his priorities wrong!" ;)

23. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Maybe Ron should try the gangsta/hip-hop look himself to win again.

24. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    #24 Bas, Nov 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  25. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006