Silverstone 2016 | FerrariChat

Silverstone 2016

Discussion in 'F1' started by blackbolt22, Dec 7, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    My GF and I are planning our vacations and want to see a GP in Europe next year. We are leaning towards Silverstone. Just wondering if the venue was good for viewing, accessibility, etc.

Any tips and advice would be appreciated.

2. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Arrive early and plan to stay late.

3. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    And get wet.

And stuck in the mud.

And stuck in the traffic.

But, you'll have a great time too! ;)

If you really want to do it right, grab a chopper for the rides in & out on Sunday.

Walk the track Friday; There's some good reasons the guys love it!.......

Also suggest a quick search herein (the F1 forum) for "Silverstone" in the subject line; Often discussed.

Enjoy!
    Cheers,
    Ian

4. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    :D As above. I've never been to see a GP at Silverstone despite it (relatively) being on my doorstep. In fact I have only ever been to Monza. That was fantastic. Very warm too :D

5. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    It was an amazing weekend. Get there early (~7am) and stay late, traffic in and out is terrible. Despite being in summer, it does get wet and very windy. Take many layers, waterproofing, and (bizarrely) you'll also need sunscreen if you're not accustomed to being outdoors for the entire day. We did the Park&Ride to get into the circuit, which was OK but it did mean driving the SmartCar through a farmer's field and its really not designed for that. We were OK (just) for ground clearance but some other cars (many lowered hatchbacks) bottomed out and suffered damage to their undercarriages. Parking in the circuit looked marginally better (gravel) but was packed and the traffic in and out looked absolutely horrendous.

My wife and I had passes to sit in all the grandstands for the practices, demonstrations, and qualifying (and tried them all), and our race seats were in Becketts - I'd recommend a Becketts seat for the whole weekend, it was a great viewing point. We'd love to go back and would get Becketts tickets again. Walking around the circuit it's bigger than you might expect, and there's a lot of gravel - wear comfortable walking/hiking boots to keep the dust and smaller rocks out of your shoes.

You should go. You won't be disappointed with the weekend as a whole even if your favourite driver suffers a massive race-ending collision on Lap 1, as happened to Raikkonen in 2014. :eek:

All the best,
    Andrew.

6. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    #6 Bas, Dec 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The fields stay wet for a long time too...When I went in 2007 (Kimi won, not a first lap crash as with you!), it was dry the saturday and Sunday, and can't remember anything more than a very light drizzle on the Friday (and a very brisk wind, see picture of tent after building it). Yet on Sunday, when we where leaving, a farmer with his tractor and a few fans in land rovers where there pulling out all the cars that managed to get stuck.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    You really should go!

Despite my tongue in cheek comments above, it really is a fabulous place for a race. As Neuro noted, Becketts is a pretty good location. But there's plenty of other good locations around the place. Dunno what the deal is these days, but they used to be pretty "lax" checking tickets on Friday so you could check out many different locations.

As for the weather, despite the "tales", the race is in what counts as "summer" in the UK, so suntan lotion is also a necessity - you may get lucky!

Cheers,
    Ian

8. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    You can get tickets that let you explore other locations until Sunday. Most of the grandstands are packed on Saturday and Sunday, particularly Becketts. In 2014, they were extremely diligent checking tickets every time you entered a grandstand - it'd be impossible to get in with the wrong ticket.

All the best,
    Andrew.

9. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Saturday & Sunday, definitely agree. But Friday too?

Is it still possible to walk the outside via "general admission" access? We used to wander round, then hang out for FP1. Then wander on and find another vantage point for FP2 and the support race following.

10. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    You & that friggin' SmartCar! :D

+1

Very true.

Partly why I said to do it Friday - Lots of "dead" time. But, even though they've been "re-profiled" Woodcote & Copse in particular remain awe inspiring corners - You've gotta watch 'em from (at least) there too!

+1 :)

:(

Did you hang around for the Porsche Cup (?) race? (Saturday PM?) Did they have the F3 guys there?

11. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    To answer the question above, can't remember if Friday was different, but generally I recall having my ticket checked every time I wanted to get into a grandstand.

Yes - it was great fun.

No - the F3 wasn't on that particular weekend.

All the best,
    Andrew.

12. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    F3 hasn't been around F1 for a long time now...It's GP2 and GP3 at european rounds + a few others.

Can't remember Supercup in 2007 but historic racing WAS on, Lola's etc producing awesome noise. Even if the supercup was there, the historics definitely trumped it!

13. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    :(

Spent most of my time racing in F3, and while a PITA it was always kinda "fun" supporting a GP; Sucked as we didn't get the garages per usual, but was cool working in front of the F1 garages - They didn't close the garage doors back then either......

I guess I was "pre-historics" (! :eek: ;)) - Was always Porsche Cup, F3 and a *significant" round of the FF championship at Silverstone/Brands.

Cheers,
    Ian

14. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    To be honest, I'd pick monza over silver stone every time, been a number of times to each, and silver stone always disappoints me. It's disorganised as soon as anything goes wrong, couple years ago, we were locked in the main car park after the race for two hours because they lost the keys to the gates, not just one gate mind you, all of them, so you had a car park of several thousand cars unable to move

Weather can be great, but it can be awful, even within the same day it can change.

Sorry, but I would go to Italy and take in some culture and style at the same time, you won't find much of either in Northampton !

15. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    Thanks for all the advice so far. We are considering Monza as well.

It sounds as if Silverstone site is a logistical nightmare to exit.

16. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Not just exit, entry too!

As is Monza..... ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

17. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Entry and exit were both a bit of a hassle. However, it was great inside Silverstone and very much worth it.

All the best,
    Andrew.

18. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    We stayed in Mllan and got a bus/train into the circuit on the Saturday and the car the Sunday as we were going straight to Maranello on the Sunday evening.

Bus/train or car I found both OK.

19. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Sounds like their efforts at "traffic management" to me! ;)

I certainly don't claim to know, but I don't think it would be possible to lock "several thousand cars" in a car park without deliberate intent!

Cheers,
    Ian

20. Hamishmoon

Hamishmoon Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2014
    Blairgowrie,Scotland
    Full Name:
    Hamish
    not sure if Spa and Monza are a week apart for 2016 , but both venues are great, Eau Rouge to see live with an F1 is a bucket list item. Big Cahona's :):):)