Marchionne praises Vettel; kicks Alonso | FerrariChat

Marchionne praises Vettel; kicks Alonso

Discussion in 'F1' started by singletrack, Dec 22, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I doubt this is news to anyone here, but pretty interesting none the less:

F1 Racing News | Racer.com - F1: Vettel 'more Ferrari' than Alonso, says Marchionne

"Alonso stayed here for five years and he was less Ferrarista then Vettel is after one year in terms of identity and identification with the team," said Marchionne. "We had the annual Gestione Sportiva event with all the technicians, the mechanics, the sponsors and the drivers earlier this month. There were over 1,200 people and Sebastian gave a speech entirely in Italian."

2. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I like it. Seems great for the team. The Scuderia juggernaut is gaining momentum.

3. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

1200 people ?

So, the Scuderia has 2 day shifts and one night shift?

4. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    It must include more than just the F1 team with those numbers I would think.

5. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    That, or just F1 people with wifes/gf and kids. IIRC Ferrari F1 has ~600 people working for them.

6. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Alonso sucks, always did....

7. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    Marchionne is still butt hurt Alonso wouldn't resign. He should just concentrate on making sure his team is up to the task at hand instead of talking nonsense in the media. They are still way behind Mercedes.

8. jdmwerks

jdmwerks Karting

Dec 5, 2007
    Lets not forget what Alonso did with the sh*t Ferrari in 2012 and 2013 and comparatively his results to his team mates year after year... there's a reason he's still considered the most valuable driver...

9. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Marchionne didn't need to kick anybody to praise his current driver. And anyway, the best way of insulting someone is ignoring him.

10. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Agreed !

11. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    #11 spirot, Dec 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    They have a huge new building right behind the Cavallino next to the Planet Hotel... it would easily hold 2000 people...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    That is true which goes to show you either he's still upset or really childish.

13. zippyslug31

zippyslug31 Formula 3

Sep 28, 2007
    PDX
    Full Name:
    Kevin M.
    I remember when Alonso first came onboard there were all these reports about how well he was received by the team, spoke more Italian than Massa, had more passion, blah blah blah.
    Not trying to defend Alonso since his toxicity within a team is very well known, but I think it's interesting how time, and a history of events, changes one's perspectives.

14. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    I would rather have Fernando than Sergio.

15. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    One year's rooster is next year's feather duster. It's always been that way at Ferrari. Vettel will fare no better with all these wankers in charge

16. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1 probably true.

17. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Dunno, Vettel actually seems happy to be at Ferrari.

Alonso never gave that feeling. Understandable in the 4th or 5th year with no titles to show for, but even in his first season he never seemed that happy to drive for Ferrari.

18. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Alonso bad-mouthed Ferrari when he was racing against them. He´s like any other driver: he only wants to be in the team that provides the best material.

Vettel does indeed have some sympathy for Ferrari, but that sympathy won´t last forever if he doesn´t win, and I´m pretty sure that if he was offered a seat at Mercedes he´d jump the ship right now.

In the end, the only true ferrarista at Ferrari was Enzo Ferrari. The rest are just mercenaries that come and go.

19. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    No one else here wonders why a Canadian CPA's assessment of "Ferrariness" should be taken seriously? Sergio has been around how long? The statement may be newsworthy, but pretty meaningless IMO.

20. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Unfortunately true.

21. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

There is a tradition at the Scuderia to denigrate some drivers who left; it goes decades back.

Jean Behra, Phil Hill, John Surtees, Nikki Lauda, Alain Prost, and now Fernando Alonso were at the receiving end of criticisms from team principals at Maranello once they left.

22. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Really? - I'd say Dario Benuzzi is a true Ferrarista!

He joined the Company in 1969 at the age of 23 and has been there ever since - Making him the most loyal, and possibly greatest Ferrari driver of all time!

Even today, at almost 70 years of age (I can't believe he's that old looking at the footage of him linked below!), he he still loves driving Ferrari's!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AR3BHzNWJI8

The Horse Whisperer | Top Gear

23. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Is it not a duty a driver has to himself?

To hope to win, or to race near the top, you must first try to get the best car to do it.

And you cannot expect a driver to stick to a team where he feels he has no chance to shine, if another opportunity comes along. Loyalty doesn't come into it, if you are really talented and motivated.

Fangio drove for 4 different teams, and tried each year to find the best car for the following season. That's how he was 5 times WDC.

24. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Classless IMO, denigration reflects badly on the team.

25. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1 well expressed. To be a WDC you must want to win at any cost.