Renault is trying to get Alonso, according to Giancarlo Minardi | FerrariChat

Renault is trying to get Alonso, according to Giancarlo Minardi

Discussion in 'F1' started by nerofer, Dec 31, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Taking that walk down memory lane.....

2. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    That is interesting news.
    I suspected that Renault would be looking for a top driver, and neither Maldonado, nor Palmer fit the bill. Maldonado will not improve, I would think, and Palmer is inexperienced and an unknown quantity yet. I bet many would like the Venezuelian to go.
    Alonso back with Renault makes sense.
    Wait and see ...

3. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    I'm sure Ron Dennis would be delighted...

Rgds

4. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Very interesting,hope it happens.

5. iachella

iachella Rookie

Jun 18, 2010
    Concord, CA
    Full Name:
    Stefano Iachella
    Jumping ship on a developing platform before it's done, and go to another developing platform? Only if he's completely convinced that Honda will not succeed (or if he just loves developing cars). Theoretically Honda will make advances in 2016. If he leaves and they do, what would everyone say about his decision making? I think he'll stay at least one more year with McLaren. Let someone else build up Renault and maybe join in 2017 if Honda remains in a dead end drive-in.

6. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Is Flavio Briatore's ban up yet? :D

All the best,
    Andrew.

7. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Oh man it would be great if Ron had to beg to get Magnussan back.

8. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    #9 william, Dec 31, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2015

I hope it is; he was one of the best team principals and got on well with Alonso too.

But I doubt that Renault would take him back; he did cost them too much at the time.

9. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Flav, or Fred?

Cheers,
    Ian

10. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Briatore engineered the Singapore-gate and Renault suddenly lost all its sponsors and had to sell in a hurry.

I don't think Carlos Goshn has forgotten that!

11. RallyeChris

RallyeChris Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2012
    Northport, NY
    Full Name:
    S.C.Conigliaro
    Flav is still Alonso's manager. Flav bagged big bucks when Honda deal was signed. Now he's going to double-dip-the-chip with a new big dollar Renault/Alonso deal. He's no dummy, and Alonso doesn't need a big push to jump ship - again.

12. OhioMark

OhioMark Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2006
    I find it hard to believe that Honda will find that much additional HP that will make them competitive with the likes of Mercedes and Ferrari. Remember I said "competitive " so although they may make gains in HP, the other teams aren't sitting still and will be adding to their engines so I think Honda is at least 2-3 years away from the front of the grid, if at all?

13. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Briatore's ban was overturned in the Law courts almost 6 years ago!: F1 News - Briatore F1 ban overturned

14. Hollywood-GP

Hollywood-GP Karting

Jun 15, 2015
    after what happened with Red Bull, Renault have something to prove in 2016, however they are going to need a top tier driver in order to make a statement.

15. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Ah, thanks. I guess I missed that or forgot about it.

All the best,
    Andrew.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

16. iachella

iachella Rookie

Jun 18, 2010
    Concord, CA
    Full Name:
    Stefano Iachella
    If Alonso thinks so, yes. But all indications is that he thinks there will be good progress next year. His outbursts were just to wake up the Honda bosses, which it did.

Does he really want to start over, again? Does he think the new Renault will be the same as the old Renault of his winning days? He did go back to Renault after McLaren. This would be his third jump back to Renault. Nostalgia aside, Renault is a couple years away from winning too.

Flip a coin for who will be competitive first.

Stefano.

17. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Honda has the HP, I was watching closely at Japan.

The problem, is they were not able to charge/release the electrical energy needed. they had heat issues when running all out. This meant they couldn't get things charged up in time on the over the bridge straight, but had a nasty mean punch for the main straight.

18. RallyeChris

RallyeChris Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2012
    Northport, NY
    Full Name:
    S.C.Conigliaro
    This is sugar-coating the Honda situation, at best, IMO. The ICE is down on power. They turn-up the wick for more than 1 stint and it goes up in flames. They can't harvest enough energy to keep discharging over a complete lap. They don't have the capacity to store the energy, either. Then, you factor-in the driveability issues between the systems. The power delivery is unpredictable and inconsistent. Total disaster of a design. B for effort, F for execution.

Alonso is gonezo.

19. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    It's rumoured Alain Prost for tean manager. Two moaners like Prost and Alonso in the same team would be interesting.

Jokes aside, it would be a bad move for both, IMO. For Alonso it would be starting again from scratch now that at McLaren the worst is over. Renault needs some time to get it right and their pockets are not so deep as Honda's so wasting money in a top driver maybe is not a good idea right now

20. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Honda was unsuccessful in the recent past. What is to say they will be top contenders again?
    Saw Briatore in the 90s at Canada, smoking in the pit garage with no smoking signs all around, and hi-test special fuel LOL.

21. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    That would be a terrible move. Had it happened last year, fine but after all the heartache this year it would be stupid not to see the Honda project through. Unless he really feels they are going nowhere. If he jumps ship it would looks especially bad for all involved.

22. toil

toil F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 23, 2014
    Neither will be competitive. He should just go to whoever pays him the most

23. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    Probably, but I think the FIA will be kind to Honda in the future.

24. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    In the future? They gave them already all kinds of permissions last year.