Canadian Grand Prix, Where to stay? | FerrariChat

Canadian Grand Prix, Where to stay?

Discussion in 'F1' started by thirteendog, Dec 31, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    I'm looking to go to Canada for the first time. I went to the first two Austin races by myself, but this time I'm looking to bring my Dad with me as a Father/Son trip. Where do you recommend staying?

I've also heard of people flying into Buffalo and driving up from there, what is the benefit to doing this?

2. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    Buffalo is about 12 hours away driving....makes no sense to do this!!!!!

Fly into Montreal or, if you want to save money, look into landing at Plattsburgh airport but then you'll be about 90 minutes away by car. However, the savings have to be significant.

Now is a great time to visit Canada because the exchange rate has gone from 10% unfavourable to 40% favorable in a couple of years so you'll get 1.40$ for every US dollar you exchange.

Hotels are very expensive....I suggest using airbnb.com and book yourself a nice condo near griffintown or even uptown Montreal. You can then use Uber or the metro to get to the racetrack.

3. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    The last Canadian GP I attended was in the 90s, so I don't know if it is the same. We stayed in a hotel near a Metro stop. Parked at the hotel for free, left the car and took the Metro everywhere. I believe you might want to credit card and ATM for cash. At the time we saved all our receipts, and at the border at the duty free store if you stayed in Canada less than 30 days they refunded your VAT tax. Like I said, I don't what it like today. Distance from Buffalo to Montreal 396 miles, 6 hours.

4. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    I always thought it would be strange to fly to buffalo and drive the rest of the way. What do y'all think about the package offers they do?

In Texas I stayed in San Marcus and drove in from their.

5. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    The first time I went to Montreal I flew into Burlington, VT. All the other times i flew into Montreal. The nice thing about flying out of Montreal is you preclear US customs. When I drove across the border customs were a pain in the butt including my car being searched and a pat down search entering Canada.

As for hotels there are plenty of hotels outside of Montreal if you want to get away from the city and the prices are lower. Just do some searching around. For the race I parked at the metro station east of the track. Smaller crowds after the race over heading west towards downtown to get back on the metro.

6. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Stay at home if the raving is as boring as 2014/2015, save your money till there's actual competition!

7. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    Buffalo is indeed 6 hours away....somehow I got confused between pittsburgh and Buffalo.

8. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    I'm sure you meant 12 hours round trip ;)

9. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I economize by staying at a motel on the south shore in Brossard or Greenfield Park. I drive to the Longueuil Metro station, park there and take the train to the islands. It's not fancy, but it's practical, and a lot less crowded than downtown!

Incidentally, if Montreal is too expensive to fly into, I once flew into Ottawa, which is about 2 hours away by car. I stayed in Hawkesville, which is about midway between the two cities. (Be forewarned - Hawkesville is in Ontario, but I heard more French than in Montreal!)

10. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I stayed at the downtown Sheraton back in 2000, 2001. It was convenient to take the Metro to the race track.

11. pj911

pj911 Karting

Jun 10, 2005
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    PJ
    Fly into Montreal or Burlington VT (about 90 min). If you fly into VT, border crossing is not a big deal. Yes, hotels are expensive that weekend. Hotels downtown run around $400+/night. You can stay out by the airport (20 min outside the city) for about half the price. Personally I say it's all about location... Spend the extra money and stay as close to the downtown experience as possible. Montreal is a great city and there is a lot going on for the F1 weekend. They have downtown streets blocked off with car events, shows, displays, etc. it's just a great overall experience...so much more to offer in addition to the track.
    I live just outside of Burlington VT and have been going to the Canadian GP for almost 30 years... It's a great event!

12. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    I did the same thing when I went. Downtown is a party and lots of fun. I'd do it again.

13. Vcruiser

Vcruiser Rookie

Aug 6, 2015
    Montreal, Canada
    One of the coolest things about the Grand Prix of Canada is all the action going on downtown montreal.

I think it is a MUST to stay in the city to experience all the events and craziness. Also very easy to get to the track by metro or taxi from downtown.

Driving and parking is chaos because they close the main bridge to the track and there is a lot of walking.

Hotel rates tend to go up, so if budget is an issue, you can stay at a holiday inn or something like that right in the city and that should suffice.

Be sure to book now though!

14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    with Jimpo1 Longueuil was always great as no train traffic going to or especially leaving. We could still easily get downtown after crowds died down.

15. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    I've done the Montreal GP 10 times. It's a great weekend.

1) depending on when you want to fly, flight prices and convenience between Montreal Trudeau vs. (Ottawa, Burlington, et al) are not that significant. Sunday night tends to be the hardest/priciest flights to get.

2) best alternate airports are Ottawa, Burlington and Albany, NY (Albany is a 4 hour ride, but you go thru Adirondack State Park and it's a nice drive). The border is tighter and the worst thing you'll find are long lines. Have a passport. FWIW since the Patriot Act, Canada has access to US criminal justice records....we found out one of our friends had a prior DUI and they would not admit him!

3) all the off-track action occurs downtown, other than a few parties (eg. at FoQ dealership on Friday, and a few Ferrari Club parties). Walking around downtown in the evenings is great. Plan ahead on dinner reservations.

3) downtown hotels are simply pricey, and many require 4 night minimum stays. airport is a great option, cheaper and more flexible. You can sort of plan on taxis and Uber to get around, but be prepared for long waits, as everyone has the same idea. Ideally, find a hotel near a Metro stop, park at your hotel and you can get to the track and downtown easily (just follow the crowds).

4) sort of a "at your own risk" approach, for probably the last 4 years, I've had a friend who literally booked his hotel room while driving up....there are a number of corporate hospitality reservations that get cancelled last minute, I would not advise it but it's an option.

16. robertpel9

robertpel9 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Orange County CA
    Full Name:
    Robert
    You can stay downtown in a McGill residence that is like an upscale dorm for about 170 a night....

17. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    I have stayed at Le St. Martin in downtown area. Great boutique hotel. Last year I stayed at Westin in old Montreal. Great hotel as well.

18. AlfaGreg

AlfaGreg Karting

Dec 28, 2003
    Saint John, NB Can
    Full Name:
    Greg Gormley
    Room rates & reservations

Highly recommended. Dorm living with showers etc. No TV as a rule but who needs TV when you are downtown Montreal, 5 min walk from Crescent St and the subway. Parking right on site in a secure area. Worth a try. Great sandwiches made up for race day across the street at the Polish convenience store.

19. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Not a bad idea. I'll have to consider that the next time I go to the GP.

20. mkeenan14

mkeenan14 Rookie

Jan 6, 2016
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I'm new here but have done Montreal a few times. Be sure to make your way down crescent st. They usually close it off and have different theme nights. They have great patios overlooking the street although they do fill up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

21. Jakillo

Jakillo Karting

May 29, 2004
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Jason Toms
    I went to the Canadian GP last year and had a wonderful stay at Holiday Inn Montreal Centreville Downtown. It's not necessarily the most luxurious hotel, but had great amenities, nice local bar/restaurant, walk/car accessible to the main downtown street with all the F1 action..

However MOST importantly, it is next to the metro station and only about 3 stops away from the racetrack. It was super convenient and only took us about 10 minutes to get there. Priced from around $300-$350 per night.

I'd say its a good compromise between getting the entire downtown experience and being close to the track. One bit of warning, the parking here is a bit sketchy in an unattended underground lot. My friend and I intend to bring our exotics (2 lambos) across the border this year and will likely leave them at the local dealer for parking. From there taxis and uber are a great way to get around the downtown area. Good luck!

22. BRENZ06

BRENZ06 Karting

Nov 10, 2006
    West New York
    Full Name:
    Brendan
    We've stayed here quite a bit. Large rooms which are nice and they have a kitchen in each. Is basically a redone warehouse. We go to the grocery store down the street and load up for the weekend since you can bring food and drink to the track. Nice way to offset some of the cash you end up blowing at night!

Square Phillips Hotel and Suites Montreal hotel downtown