Racing in the snow? | FerrariChat

Racing in the snow?

Discussion in 'F1' started by Gatorrari, Jan 6, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    #1 Gatorrari, Jan 6, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Someone else posted this photo on the "Let's See F-cars in Snow!" thread on the Showroom forum, but I thought I'd repost it here, since everyone is trying to figure this one out.

To me, it appears to be Dan Gurney racing an F2 Brabham on a snowy day, at what looks like Hugenholtz corner on the Zandvoort circuit. Based on the tires, I'd say 1964 or so? And it looks like the race was well attended in spite of the vile weather.

Does anyone know any more for sure about this interesting photo?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    #2 nerofer, Jan 7, 2016
  3. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    #3 nerofer, Jan 7, 2016
    And of course there is the famous picture of John Surtees on the Südschleife of the Great Nürburgring, of all places, but alas, "only" with a Formula 2...

Rgds

4. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Wow, can you imagine those cars in those conditions, absolutely terrifying I suspect

5. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well...back to serious work: what race could it be?
    if it is 1964 indeed, there seems that no official Formula 2 race took place at Zandvoort that year?
    Formula 2 1964 - Race Index

(By the way, if it is 1964, then the car would have been a BT10 or a BT11)

The only Formula 2 race that I remember of with a few flakes of snow was the Eiffelrennen in 1967, there are known pictures of Jochen Rindt in the snow.

Rgds

6. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Ask and ye shall receive:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fm1jBUfbLV0[/ame]

7. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well, yes, Bas, but that's not a RACE; it is actually quite easy to find pictures of Formula One in the snow, driven for demonstrations or even for tests.
    By the way, your local to Zandvoort, aren't you? I was thinking - hoping - that perhaps you could have some leads to the picture with Gurney that opens the topic...

Rgds

8. teegeefla

teegeefla Formula Junior

Apr 26, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Full Name:
    Tom Gee
    The photo in the original post is not Dan Gurney; he never drove a Formula 2 Brabham in his career.

I think it is Jochen Rindt at the XXX Int. ADAC - Eifelrennen 1967 European Trophy for Formula 2 Drivers, Round 3 Nürburgring Südschleife, Adenau, Germany.

See this link and note that it states that there was snow at the race.

Formula 2 1967 - Eifelrennen

9. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    #9 Bas, Jan 7, 2016
    Fair enough.

Zandvoort doesn't have many left handers, and even fewer with a dip then going uphill. One, actually. The old layout (pre 1972, see pic. Hugenholtz is between gerlach and Hunserug) didn't really add any left handers either. I found some other old pics of the suspected corner and whilst they look similar, I'm not very convinced yet (2nd picture is 100% zandvoort). The 3rd pic is what I just took on google...One thing that also doesn't convince me is the row of people directly behind the track in the original pic; this is where a road is between the corner, pitlane and straight. It's quite narrow and is a through road for cars, trucks, ambulances, as well as a footpath for people. No space for a grandstand.

I did some googling and the picture in question might be Jochem Rindt at the Eiffelrennen in 1967, a race he won and was driven in the snow.

10. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Thanks Bas (and Teegeefla); I had the 1967 Eiffelrennen in mind almost immediately (see my post #5), but I wanted to search the possibility of a Brabham Formula 2 in 1964 nevertheless. One thing is sure, it could not have been in an "official" Formula 2 race in Zandvoort in 1964, because ther was none this year...it is probably Rindt.

Rgds

11. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1 :eek:

I was at the Nurburgring in, I'm gonna guess it was 1980, for an F3 race. Snowing like crazy. My sneakers got soaked & I had to go into town to find a pair of waterproof boots - Still have 'em somewhere....

They *salted* the circuit and wanted us to run!.... Fortunately we were unanimous in refusing.

Cheers,
    Ian

12. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/144418161-post917.html

13. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    I must say it does look like rindt's face (but i would need a close up from the nose to be 100% sure :))
    I love Ronnies's picture....and i can think of a driver who would really have some fun in those conditions!!!

14. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    It's Rindt my guess is that if not sud schleiffer it could be Zeltweg Austria

15. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Jochen Rindt, 1967 Brabham BT23/5
    Roy Winkelmann Racingnkelman Team

16. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Thanks to everyone for the replies. I admit I'm not that acquainted with the old Nurburgring Sudschleife, but I can believe that to be the venue, and the Eifelrennen to be the race. I remember now that Rindt drove F2 for Winkelmann in '67 before joining Jack on the F1 team in '68.

17. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    ...and after one year at Lotus in 1969, Rindt was on the verge of a come-back to Brabham, only to have Chapman raise the money at the last minute. So "Black Jack" had to stay for one more season...and a good one it turned to be.
    Rindt personal manager and advisor was one Bernie Ecclestone...who was aware of the risks Jochen was taking at the wheel of the "fragile" Lotuses.

Rgds

18. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
  19. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau
  20. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Never realized the Fred video. First time seeing it.

But besides the grip he's obviously struggling with, will F1 engines perform better due to the cooler conditions?

21. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Yes. colder air is more dense which allows for more fuel to be inserted = more combustion = more power.

22. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004