The great cockpit debate; 'discussion' this Friday.... | FerrariChat

The great cockpit debate; 'discussion' this Friday....

Discussion in 'F1' started by Fast_ian, Jan 27, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    #1 Fast_ian, Jan 27, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hey,

Searched for our long & winding thread on the topic, but couldn't find it. :( So, with a little regret, starting a new one......

Per Autosport, they're meeting later this week to discuss different solutions. Apparently, JT and the boys prefer the T-bar solution.....

Cheers,
    Ian
    Oops, sorry, the link; http://beta.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/122599/fia-to-present-cockpit-plan-to-teams?utm_medium=EMAIL&utm_campaign=ENews%20Bulletin%20(26.1.16)&utm_content=ASPO%20ENews%20Bulletin%20SENDING%20A%20with%20Social%20(35)::article9_headline_1&utm_source=20160126
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    Not a fan.

3. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

But, can you come up with a better alternative?....... Short of leaving them as is of course, which would get my vote....

Two other possibilities are mentioned in the article, but as many here would say, "meh....." ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

4. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Leave as is, please, but I understand the drivers are asking for it. I suppose they will prevail. All this brought about by the Bianchi incident which should not have happened anyway. The day of cars controlled from the pit wall or more likely the engineering center gets closer....

5. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

I'm not sure that's true. Links?

Again, I don't think that's quite true. They learnt some lessons from Jule's crash, but even they admit it wouldn't have saved him.

Easy with hindsight to rewrite the 'procedures'....

Cheers,
    Iam

6. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I'm pretty sure I saw on Autosport.com that the drivers are supporting some type of additional cockpit protection, but can't find it just now.

As to Bianchi's accident I have taken the unpopular position that at least some of the blame is on driver error. Although my only frame of reference is the video recording of the crash, it appears to me that he was carrying far too much speed into the corner, thereby causing the loss of control. I am more than prepared to be proved wrong if there is some evidence of mechanical failure or another car pushing him off track, or some other extraneous cause.

7. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    Agreed, Jack and Ian, this gets my vote.

One link to a Wurz comment/interview about GPDA wishes:

Wurz: Head protection and better tyres - PlanetF1 : PlanetF1

Until we remove the drivers from the cars, they will never be 100% safe.

And even if we run the cars remotely I am sure Maldonado will find a way to crash into someone with his remote...:D

8. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Leave it as it is.
    Agree on the Bianchi crash, he was going too fast at that point and that farm vehicle should not of been there.

9. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Yes, there are too few people, especially in the sport, who are willing to say the truth. The fact is that the impression of total safety that these cars and circuits now give, even if false, tends to make the drivers take more risks, thereby making it less safe. Think back decades ago....no drivers would have engaged in the contact that happens routinely now, simply because the potential consequences were lethal. Now drivers get away with a lot more. Except when they don't.

10. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Me neither. Leave it as it is.

But if the safety nuts come out again and insist that something must be done, then I rather have this over an enclosed cockpit. I don't want F1 to become WEC.

11. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Spending millions to build and crash test undestructable cockpits and emasculating legendary tracks in the name of safety and then leave the head of the driver exposed is like a cocaine addict doing yoga.

Something has to be done, IMO. But that thing is plain ugly, I´d prefer some kind of glass canopy. It would need windscreen wipers though, and that would look a bit ridiculous in a F1 car.

12. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Anything involving a canopy gets a thumbs down from me: There will be reflections of light and you won't be able to see who is in the cockpit.

Besides: I want the drivers to be exposed to the elements. Otherwise they might as well add A/C to the cockpits.

13. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    looks dangerous
    a large structure in front of your face can't be good

14. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    +1

15. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    I agree....something has to be done....but what?

16. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    Is that really going to protect the driver? In an accident like Jules, I can only think that upright bit would be firmly planted into his face.

Mark

17. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    Boats have them,Planes have them,sports cars have them. Indy car and F1 need them so what's the problem. Cockpit covers have been figured out decades ago. Just get it done. Nothing new and untried going on here. Just copy and standardize a design.Too tough for the designers? Then use a steel tube sprint car setup. GTS Bruce

18. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Not a fan.

Jules' accident was tragic. Action has been taken (no ****ing heavy vehicles on an active track!).

We have a million miles of run off at each corner, ever improving walls that absorb impacts, super strong cars.

This would work well on ovals, so perfect for indy car where accidents like Justin Wilson's are much more likely. Cars there are generally contained to and on the track, with cars approaching at enormous speeds still.

With F1, most accidents happen at lower speeds, cars are generally off the track. When F1 cars do tangle on track, it's at much lower speed than indy car.

19. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    The FIA will have to have some tight regulations on the shape of that cockpit safety cage - Otherwise teams will start to design them for aero purposes more than safety!

20. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I am sure we have the technology to do this. But as a fan I want to be able to see the helmet of the driver and not just a reflection of light in the canopy. Once I can no longer see the driver the sport is too remote for me to care. I dont give a damn about closed car racing, which a canopy would be. It would be the end of F1 for me

21. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Thanks. I am always stunned when people want to make safety the #1 priority. If that were the goal then just run the car on remote control. The excitement about F1 is a mix of tech/talent and risk. Remove the risk and you might as well watch battle of the robots instead.

I dont want to see blood but one freak death caused by a head injury in 20 years is not worth such a dramatic change.

22. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I beg to differ there. Done "right" (& I'm confident they will, should it come about) it would certainly help to protect the guy from the most obvious dangers; loose wheels being the most prevalent.

It can also be made to cantilever so extrication is no harder than today.

OTOH, I don't think it would have helped in Phil's accident. A tiny piece could still get thru. :(

A canopy is the only solution to that problem, and I really don't want to go there.

I could buy into the concept of a 'standardized survival cell' as I believe they use in powerboats, but beyond that they're pretty good these days IMO.

As I, & many others have noted, leave it as it is. 'Motorsport is dangerous'.

Cheers,
    Ian

23. NJB13

NJB13 Formula 3

Jan 5, 2013
    Pampanga,Philippines
    Full Name:
    Norm
    Is there really a problem that actually needs to be fixed or is the FiA looking for something to justify their existence?
    Should we add a cockpit to MotoGP?

24. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    IF they decide to go to closed cockpit, or better head protection, that thing designed by Adrian Newey on the Playstation is the best bet, and best looking.

25. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Exactly.

People die from all sorts of accidents, many in their home.

There is no need for change.
    Pete