Maldonado out, Magnussen in | FerrariChat

Maldonado out, Magnussen in

Discussion in 'F1' started by vinuneuro, Jan 28, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
  2. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Well let's hope that the oil company struggles enough to call it quits with F1. It's not over yet. I mean, I don't have it out for Pastor like a lot people do. He seems quite likeable. His crashes and reputation and what not are somewhat overblown in my opinion... I guess you can argue that all day long. More importantly for me... he's a non-factor. He's not a driver that I'd probably ever follow or cheer for... or jeer for... for that matter. For me.. that's why I don't mind if he goes. I'm completely indifferent to him.

3. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    That's good news, a stronger line up for Renault.

4. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Mediocre driver out, mediocre driver in...

5. piolaxo

piolaxo Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2012
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Salvador
    Well, if Magnussen has learnt anything from his previous outings Renault will be better
    off. Maldonado will never learn from all the crashes he's been involved in. It's like AA;
    if you don't even think that you have a problem, then nobody can help you. At least
    Grosjean admitted that he needed to change and he turned things around (he was
    crashing far too often); Maldonado won't.

6. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Don't think we've seen enough of him to say that.

Look how much Grosjean improved, look how much better Perez is now.

7. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    A nice bright spot going into the new season. Congrats to Kevin!

8. SWB

SWB Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2006
    Toronto & Ottawa
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Hope both drivers can make some good impressions this season. This isn't the last we'll hear from Maldonado! Look for PVDSA to grace an inverted, backwards and airborne Indycar in the near future! LOL

9. 2003Enzo

2003Enzo Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    Magnussen can't be any worse though, right? I thought he did well in the McLaren so this is great news.

10. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    As long as Renault beat Red Bull I'll be happy :)

11. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    Good for that kid. Now he can get a shot to hopefully show his worth.

12. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Thank you $30 a barrel oil :eek:

13. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Money walks! :)

Now I hope Magnussen shows Ron Dennis he was wrong about him.

14. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    +1

15. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    So no need for the cockpit canopies, then.......

16. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Oooh, that was harsh. There's still going to be races where Elton arrives in a bad mood over his girlfriend having a headache/bad haircut/blouse the wrong colour/late back from a party and has a good ole demolition derby like Hungary last year or parking outside his flat in Monaco

17. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    This is great news, Magnussen is very good, he was a sfast as Button, so with a litle more experience i think he can surprise many people, i really think he's a very talented driver.

18. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    Remember Kevin's "Rookie Mistake" rear ending Kimi during the 2014 Malaysian GP.

19. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Disagree, I think this is very bad news for the sport and its entertainment factor. If Maldonado can't find the money Bernie should put hand to his own wallet to keep him crash and us laughing. Or put him in the safety car even.

20. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    +2

Crashdonaldo would find a way to wreck the safety car...."The barrier tried to block me!"

21. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Thanks for the laugh. :D

22. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Yes. And the next race, too.

But that's exactly what they are, rookie mistakes. Everyone knows I'm a big fan of Kimi but that's no reason I should have a personal vendetta towards anyone that crashed into him.

23. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    There is a reason for the label "Crashdonaldo".

24. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Maldonado is one of the few current GP winners, was GP2 champion against Sergio Perez, Jules Bianchi, Sam Bird, among others. His results are better than Grosjean's. On the other hand he seems to be unable to learn with his mistakes.

On a side note, do you guys believe that PDVSA sponsorship is really a "sponsorship"? Their business doesn't demand any kind of brand promotion outside of Venezuela. Knowing a bit about state-owned oil companies myself, for me it's clear that Maldonado's sponsorship is just a way to move corrupt money out of Venezuela. If it was "clean" money I doubt that Renault would care about Maldonado talent or crashes since it's a lot of cash! Looks like Carlos Ghosn is afraid about having Renault linked to an eventual corruption scandal in the near future.

25. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    When Maldonado finally won a title in GP2, he'd been in the series for 4 years or so. The rest of his serious competition it was either their first year or their 2nd.

I think you may be confusing which Lotus car finished in front of the other, because over the last 2 years Grosjean has significantly outscored Maldonado, been much more consistent too.

Actually, looking at Maldonado's overall performance...before his win he didn't amount to much (career best of 8th), and after it he's had one 5th place, a couple of 7th....that's it!