F1-2000-198 For Sale $3.6mm | FerrariChat

F1-2000-198 For Sale $3.6mm

Discussion in 'F1' started by SAFE4NOW, Feb 4, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    #1 SAFE4NOW, Feb 4, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Awesome!

I wonder if it's possible to run it 'alone' or if Corsa Clienti is 'mandatory'?

Also wonder how long the lump lasts? A rebuild ain't gonna be cheap! Having said that, turn the wick down some and it'll probably go for a decent period. (?)

Cheers,
    Ian

3. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    From what I understand, you do not have to run with CC , there are options , at least here in the USA, that would cost less.

Car cost vs Engine Rebuild cost would be a non-issue IMO , but slightly more than your 3 year belt service... < wink >

S

4. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    OMG drool. Tear.

5. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Ok, gotcha. Thanks.

+1

After I posted that was actually just thinking that myself! If you can drop over 3mm into the car I guess a few hundred K for a rebuild isn't going to hurt too much! ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

6. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    How cool would it be to throw it in the trailer (would need to be enclosed or there'd be all kinds of accidents as you towed it around!), and show up for a DE event somewhere?!

Cheers,
    Ian

7. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Not sure how it exactly works to have a Ferrari F1 car out of the CC, but it has been done. I think Ferrari will not be quite so pleased with you and your relationship with them will be in tatters.

Entirely possible to let someone else than CC take care of your car, which will almost certainly be cheaper. It's been/being done with newer cars.

Personally, I'd buy a different F1 car and run it in BossGP series. A Ferrari F1 car I'd keep running in the CC. Sure would be nice having everyone sucking up to you, always first on the list of any Ferrari car...Good things in life, you know ;). There's quite a few CC events year round.

8. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
  9. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    That's awesome. Wish I had the cash and balls to buy and run it.

10. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Thank you for the link, fantastic information, I didnt have time to read all the posts.

A couple points that caught my attention:

$400k -$500k to rebuild the engine every 1500km
    $1000 cost " per lap " to run the car
    5G braking force... eyes water when braking hard...

S

11. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    I saw that same car in action back in the day. Glad to see it again, looks as good as always. One of my personal favourites.

12. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Great link, thanks! Some of the comments are awesome!

As already noted, they don't come cheap!

+1

Winning the CA lottery would be about the only way - and even then you'd only last a season or two..... ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

13. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

+1

However, a half million $ rebuild sounds ludicrous to me!

I mean, come on, how much can some metal, titanium & labor cost!?......

I think I could deal with a grand a lap, & the watering eyes, but 1/2 a mill rebuild on the lump? Not so sure about that. ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

14. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    F1-2000 belongs to my top 5 Ferrari's F1 cars. What a beauty!

15. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    There's been a Jaguar F1 car for sale for a while now, running, for 300k GBP. Several rolling chassis BMW Williams F1 cars for sale for 100k GBP. BMW will not provide engine packages, though. I want a 2004 Williams FW26B (the second half season car) so bad...I'd love to take it to a historic F1 festival and go all out...

16. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1

IIRC with CC, by limiting revs by just 1000-1500rpm increases mileage to 5000km between rebuilds.

a 2005 renault engine rebuild was €200k. For an in season race engine. So no ****ing chance one run by a relative amateur, not in any serious racing championships, is it going to cost double that, lol. Or even the same.

Someone that used to race in the same series as my mates dad, raced in BossGP until recently. Whilst he is loaded, he's nowhere near the € to start paying 500K per 1500km driven.
    That jag has been for sale for 5 years or thereabouts...still drool all over it and dream of bossgp!

17. IanMac

IanMac Formula 3

Jul 26, 2006
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Ian
    My eyes are watering at the costs never mind the 5G braking force! :)

18. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Same here.

That Ferrari F1 is awesome and if it could be run outside of the CC program, that'd be fantastic. Problem is the 3.6m. :(

19. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

Certainly brings some kind of tears to my eyes! And nothing to do with braking forces either! ;)

Chers,
    Ian

20. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    #20 BMW.SauberF1Team, Feb 4, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm really curious as to why it hasn't sold. It seems like a good deal given how much Jag's budget was that year to actually make that car!

I've been searching for days now for an article pdf that featured Aaron Hsu's MP4/4 and acquisition of his McLaren F1 collection. It had a photo of him on the couch and the car on the wall hanging above him...anyone got a copy of it?

I found this photo a few days ago and it reminded me of that photo of Aaron and his MP4/4. They say it's Montoya's car that won Monza (which makes it the 2001 FW23), but the car looks like a 2003 FW25 (I'll spare the boring list of details) and nothing like the FW23 and I feel like it's probably a showcar and not even a real racecar/rolling chassis. I doubt Williams would sell a race-winning car from that era when they have so many other spares...JPM only won 4 races with them.

Source: Deep in the secret batcave | DERESTRICTED
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    After reading that thread, I would just buy that car and put it in the garage to admire it. Apparently, its extremely expensive to maintain if you want to drive it. On a good note, I think its a great invest in a long run.

22. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    When we were at the Factory this past November, we were told that Ferrari will only allow cars that are 5+ years old or more to be sold out of Corsa Cliente and then depending on the technology used. as for running the cars Ferrari retains all the software etc... but you license a set to run your car - I think that is the Gotcha... but I do know a couple of FCA guys who have F-1 cars that run them on their own, but its basically like a small F1 team of the 70's... you would not be able to pull it on your own, show up and fli ck a switch to start the car and jump in and run a DE event ... the modern engines require pre warming, electronic priming etc... before they are run, and then clutch settings per track, diff settings ... I would however LOVE to have one just to look at. at the Factory they have one mounted on the wall of the main entrance reception... its just so cool!

23. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I'd think the reason the Jag hasn't sold yet is because the market for a fully running F1 car, especially the modern ones, is really quite small. Monocoques without any running gear, are much cheaper (seen them range from 20-100K), people stick them on walls like above, or in front of a few TV screens and build a simulator out of it.

Historic F1 cars do sell quicker, a bit easier to run, and the historic GP events are much bigger and I think more frequent too. A lot cheaper to run those cars...

24. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Interesting, thanks.

Also the reason I put 'alone' in quotes in my OP! :) I'd guess you'd need at least two guys, maybe three to get (& keep!) it going.

I think I could figure out the 'puter stuff, but at least a small team would be needed as you say.

Now, where'd I put that winning Powerball ticket again?...... ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

25. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    The owner of the car that's for sale doesn't drive it. He doesn't fit nor has he tried to. Far too tall. I'm not sure it has been started in a long time, but Steve could tell you about that.