2016 Ferrari PU analysis | FerrariChat

2016 Ferrari PU analysis

Discussion in 'F1' started by DF1, Feb 10, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

2. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    Let's hope for the best!

3. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    FORZA FERRARI

4. rotaryrocket7

rotaryrocket7 Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2011
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Full Name:
    Matt
    That was interesting. The position of the intercooler seems like an almost obvious improvement based on how much cooling should improve not being positioned on top of the "oven"

5. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I don't like how they report on Ferrari technical changes. It seems that it should remain confidential. I don't hear anything about what Merc is changing.

6. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    There are actually no real details of Ferrari's technical changes in the linked article, only "Giorgio Piola's exclusive illustration of what Ferrari may have changed".

As for the rest of the "details", it's all just general talk from an ex-Ferrari employee.

7. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    I would think that being relatively close to Merc Ferrari wouldn't go and do a radical change. This article is showing otherwise, isn't it?

8. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    We shouldn´t read too much in this. I´ve read other articles about Ferrari going the split turbo route like Mercedes. Who shall we trust?

Anyway, if this is true, it does look like the most obvious choice: keeping the turbo as is, moving the intercooler to allow variable lenght intake trumpets and moving the ERS forward to leave more free space in the rear.

9. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Presumably their engine test rig is working over time doing circuit simulations. Merc will find extra power (a lot according to them, worryingly). Ferrari shouldn't aim to be on equal power with them but to go beyond that (and not have the engine blow up in the process).

10. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
  11. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Italians reporting 1.5s faster than previous car, but uncertain reliability...

12. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    Easier makng a fast car reliable, sounds like a big gain.

13. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

Was just about to note the same.

Develop the power, then worry about how long it will last.......

Cheers,
    Ian

14. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Nice! Let's hope testing yields few issues that are solved swiftly :)

15. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Worked great for Mclaren, they had the most powerful engine on the grid - for two seconds.

16. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Actually, the reality was that McLaren didn't have the most powerful engine on the grid for any amount of time, at any stage of the season, and the bloody thing still only lasted for two seconds! ;)

However, the note of caution in your post is correct - Making the PU reliable whilst making it the most powerful on the grid is not as easy as some are making it out to be!

As the old adage goes: "To finish first - First you have to finish!"

17. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    How much of an increase has Mercedes found over the winter? Or, did they decide to rest on their laurels?

18. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    I was under the premise that F1 engines are running down on revs to conserve fuel. As per stupid F1 rules. So maybe reliability is not too much an issue?

19. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I don't think anyone's saying it's "easy".... Nothing about F1 is easy. Just if you've got the power, reliability should follow. It's hard with no testing for sure, but we know they're doing complete race simulations on the dyno.

+1

Cheers,
    Ian

20. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    IIRC, the regulations limit 'em to 15K.

They'll run that when 'needed'.

They're building engines knowing those parameters.

And then race within those same parameters. Same for all. ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

21. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    #21 Bas, Feb 12, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  22. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Unfortunately... it seems a lot:

Mercedes F1 engine producing over 900bhp with more to come in 2016

Who knows if it's talk... but if it's true, the reported increases by Ferrari thus far (if true and/or accurate) would close the gap to the 2015 Mercs... maybe. So all things being equal at this point, it appears Merc may have made another big jump so it's very likely we'll have a repeat of last season.

23. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Let's hope that the increase in Ferrari HP is augmented by the changes to the chassis. The relocation (lowering) of several components, the tightening of the rear bodywork and the return to push rod front suspension should help make up a big chunk of the difference to Mercedes.

24. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Not so sure on that. Look at the Brazilian GP for instance, Vettel was close to the Mercs, with Rosberg leading Hamilton and Hamilton chasing him hard, vettel finished what, 12 seconds down?

2015 final spec engine wasn't a huge amount down on power.

Mercedes will almost certainly be the car to beat, but I really do think that Ferrari has made a big enough leap to challenge them at most if not all tracks. Every single time Mercedes got some real competition in the last 2 seasons, they've messed up. They panick. Ever since dumping Ross Brawn.

25. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Most of the season... Ferrari was not a real challenge. There were the 3 wins... a couple other races...like the Brazillian... where it was not close... but in the ballpark. Beyond that, I think Ferrari was fairly well-dominated and by significant margins.

If Merc pulls out a another big step like they're suggesting, I'm just not sure Ferrari is going to close last years gap and this winters.

I for one am hoping I'm absolutely 100% wrong.