Is there a legal site that streams F1 races? | FerrariChat

Is there a legal site that streams F1 races?

Discussion in 'F1' started by treedee3d, Mar 13, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    I could swear I've posted the thread before but can't find it....very weird.

Anyway, does such a pay-per-view exist?

I don't want to resort to crappy pirate sites and would like to stream a decent quality live broadcast. I'm willing to pay but cannot find anything that looks legit.

Any reccomendations?

2. nsxrebel

nsxrebel Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    No, other than streaming to your mobile device from certain channels I think, but you need a cable subscription, which defeats the purpose of streaming. Bernie and co are still stuck in the last century when it comes to broadcasting.

3. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I hear you! I'm in pretty much the same boat. I too would be willing to pay for it.

My own, admittedly somewhat 'dodgy' solution, is to use my sons (in the UK) Sky account after VPN'ing myself to the UK. I do pay for the (rock solid) VPN, and then 'become' him.

Having said that, I recall they (Sky) were offering a '3 day pass' to all their sport channels last season - You could watch any of their sports channels for a pretty reasonable fee. Not sure if you need to 'be' in the UK to get it. I haven't looked to see if they're still offering it though.

I've said before, I believe there's a huge opportunity here for someone if they can do it right - Many, many folks would be/are willing to pay for decent coverage via the 'net, but doesn't seem to have happened as yet.

I'll have another poke at the Sky site & see what they're offering.

Cheers,
    Ian

4. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    ?

Not sure what you're getting at there. Without some kind of subscription why should you be able to stream the feed? Given a subscription, you should be able to stream their feeds to any of your devices..... For example, I pay many $ for my Comcast feed here in the States, and it allows me to watch pretty much 'anywhere", on any device these days.

Agreed. Seems he's more concerned about removing the occasional YouTube video that infringes 'his' copyrights than fixing the 'problem'. :(

Cheers,
    Ian

5. nsxrebel

nsxrebel Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    I'm assuming he doesn't have cable, but I could be wrong.

6. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Ahh, OK. You may be correct.

I've noted before, there has to be a way that makes everyone happy without pirating the whole mess.

The Sky feed allows me to choose which cameras I watch - multiple on boards, the pitcam, the broadcast cams, timing screens, etc etc. The tech is certainly there, I can only guess Bernie doesn't quite get it. :(

Then throw in 'live' telemetry like we saw in Bas' recent screenshot & it would be awesome! (And require even more screens..... ;))

Cheers,
    Iam

7. nsxrebel

nsxrebel Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    Bernie just doesn't get it. I'd gladly pay like $5-10 per race or a season pass to be able to stream the races live and commercial free. Until then, I'll torrent the races. I don't like the crappy pirate streams.

8. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

I guess I'm somewhat 'fortunate' in that I have a solution, but if I'm honest, it's not quite right.

I'm with you - I'd happily pay a reasonable fee to get it 'legally'. Darn, my VPN costs more than that!

Cheers,
    Ian

9. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    There is no international solution.

Bernie sells the digital rights separately to each broadcaster so it's up to them to provide the stream. If your local F1 broadcaster isn't providing an online option they haven't paid Bernie.

While using services like VPN/smartDNS are legal, the broadcasters are against these methods so in their eyes it's not a legit method.

If you read the other thread you could use something like Kodi to watch F1 feeds without getting bombarded by malware and dodgy ads and the quality is usually decent :eek:

10. nsxrebel

nsxrebel Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    Racingfor.me is the best solution if you can get an invite.

11. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Hell yeah I'd kick 10-15 bucks for a weekend pass from the F1 website to stream everything I want. Could easily be done with the commentary you want, too.

I used Acestream a lot last year (Exact copy of VLC player just with the option to play certain streams). Live feed from Sky F1, could pause/play back if I wanted too. Download the programme, enter the hash (I normally post it in the thread, it's always the same hash though, SD or HD) and that's it.

12. CSM0TION

CSM0TION Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    So if I have a proper VPN does Sky offer a digital package that I can buy as well? As others have said I don't mind paying but if I do I want something that's worth it. I've heard the Sky broadcast is leaps and bounds above NBCSports.

13. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I think you'll need to have a Sky account as well (or a friend in the uk with one ;)).

Sky is not only leaps and bounds above NBCS, it's above everything I've seen IMO.

14. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    OK, I did some poking. Here's my current understanding of the state of play;

- Firstly, you need to VPN yourself to the UK or Sky won't allow anything. There are a few 'free' solutions, but they tend to be a little flakey & you need to be pretty 'tech savvy' to get 'em setup IME. Further, in my experience they're pretty advert laden. I'm quite happy to pay

StrongVPN.com - Providing high speed, unlimited bandwidth, multiple country VPN accounts for over 100,000 users. Since 1995

From the States it seems to be $4.99 a month, but I seem to recall I pay for an annual pass for less than that. Rock solid & runs on 'everything'. I primarily use an iPad, but it's also installed on the Mac. Obviously PC's are covered too. Highly recommended.

- Once you're 'in' the UK you can go to the Sky site - Otherwise they won't even let you view their offerings - As Speedy noted, it's all about 'geography', and not just for sports.

- Seems they no longer offer the '3 day pass' I mentioned above. :( it's either a day pass at 6.99, a week pass at 10.99 or a month at 31.99. (All prices in UK pounds).

This gives you access to all 7 of their sports channels. Skysports 1-5, Skysports F1 and sports news I think. Unfortunately, it seems you can no longer choose just the Sky F1 channel; It's 'all or nothing'. If you're a sports junky their offerings are damn good though.

I watch on the iPad. I tried 'Airparrot' to get it onto the big screen but somehow they managed to block that - the audio works, but no video, just the Sky Sports logo on the big screen. That may have changed, but I haven't checked recently.

The alternative is to make 'friends' with a Sky subscriber in the UK & use their account as Bas noted.... ;)

HTH!
    Cheers,
    Ian

15. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

The 'Skysports F1' channel is 24x7 Motorsport. Not just F1, but all kinds of Motorsport documentaries, interviews and other racing. Lots of repeats, but if you're a junkie it means you don't have to worry too much about missing anything or getting it DVR'd - It'll be back soon!

Cheers,
    Ian

16. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    Ok so I am using tunnel bear and I am now on the sky site but all they mention is that you can get sky go for pc or tablet or phone by linking your home TV sky account. I'm not seeing the 6.99 or 10.99 option. do you have a link for that page?

17. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Fortunately, I hadn't closed the page.....

Sky Sports on NOW TV

Cheers,
    Ian

18. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    I get this far and I tried to purchase a week pass. I got a message saying they have to check my credit card by charging me and refunding me 10 cents.

However, I had to put in a UK address....I just used a random one but that will certainly not match the billing address.... I'm waiting to see what happens.

I also found a link that says "Buy a pass for someone else" I may test that later on if this first method is unsuccessful.

19. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Holy-Moley!..... I had no idea they'd be that 'serious' about what I can only assume are the afore mentioned geographic restrictions.....

If they're matching credit cards to addresses, that's a big problem for 'us'.

'Buy a pass for someone else' may just be the loophole though..... 'There's always more than one way to skin the cat.....' ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

20. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I haven't poked hard at it, but it seems this may be a 'third party' offering - 'NowTV' that Sky are using for this. I guess Sky have to CTA from a licensing perspective, but again, seems ludicrous to me!

All we want to do is *pay* them for the feed after all!

As already noted, there has to be a better model.

Cheers,
    Ian

21. nsxrebel

nsxrebel Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    Unfortunately, there isn't a better model. Credit cards have to match their respective regions.

If you can find someone in the UK to share their Sky account, then all you need is a VPN service. I use Cyberghost, with the free account, you can use it like 3-4 hours at a time.

If you don't care about watching LIVE, but want HD broadcast of SkySportsF1, torrents is the way to go.

22. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Interesting stuff, thanks for the link.

Hembrey says that F1 is still looking at classic TV distribution...a big mistake IMO, TV is very quickly on it's way out. I was actually wondering a few weeks back how long 'classic' tv will still be relevant, with apps like Netflix growing massively every day. Watch what you want, when you want, WHERE you want, on any mobile device if you want to.

If F1 distributes it through their site at say €10 for the whole weekend, add in Sky commentary somehow (probably pay them for it though), they'd do the world a big favour.

Have no idea how the contracts are structured though, if it's even possible for them to offer this.

23. nsxrebel

nsxrebel Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    Cable companies are as much to blame as Bernie/F1. The cable companies probably have stipulations in their contracts where they have exclusive rights and no one else is allowed to offer a stream of the races.

24. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Indeed. ;)

Understood on the latter, but not so sure on the former.... I totally understand the need for security - Paypal "verified" me pretty much the same way for example. They made a teeny deposit which I then verify - No problem, makes a lot of sense to protect *both* parties.

Very true, & as already noted, what I do. But it's not "right".

Understood. But it's still "illegal", & the "stakeholders" are losing $ by trying to enforce this BS.

+1

+1 to all.

I just think there has to be a better model. Maybe "we" should contact Bernie/Hembery with our ideas?.....

I honestly believe they (FOM) could make more money these days by at least adding, if not replacing, the old licensing model. It would piss off the "traditional" broadcasters, but so what!?

Cheers,
    Ian