F1 2016 silly season/Driver moves | FerrariChat

F1 2016 silly season/Driver moves

Discussion in 'F1' started by DF1, Mar 23, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Post your thoughts on the driver moves as we have some very top flight open seats coming. An overview of what the press think is here from SKY -
    Formula 1 in 2016: A big year for the F1 transfer market | F1 News

More from SKY here about Ricci's possible future - Latest rumor via SKY - Both Mercedes and Ferrari are keen on luring Daniel Ricciardo from Red Bull, according to Helmut Marko.

The Red Bull team advisor even claims that the Scuderia are more interested in the Australian, who impressed with a fourth-place finish at his home grand prix on Sunday, than highly-rated teenager Max Verstappen.

"Ferrari are much more interested in Ricciardo than Verstappen," Marko is quoted by Auto Motor und Sport.

And he also told Austrian broadcaster Servus TV: "The red and the silver teams are knocking."

Let the transfer rumours commence... (Full story - external site, in German)

F1 News, Drivers, Results - Formula 1 Live Online | Sky Sports

2. Neonzapper

Neonzapper F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2008
    MD/FL/Philippines
    Full Name:
    Mykol
    Already? The track is still hot from the first race.

3. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

Pretty much my thinking too.

However, the OP's source is generally a pretty good one I believe, so off we go......

Gives us something else to BS about at least. ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

4. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I'd take Ricciardo over Max also. Not sure what was up with Max's temper tantrum after the Australian GP, but that is not the way things should be handled IMO regardless of if he has a point.

5. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

Little show of immaturity there I feel.

I suspect Jos has had a little word........ Doubt we'll hear such in the future.

As for who should go to Ferrari, I dunno - Could make an argument for both him & Smiley Boy.

Cheers,
    Ian

6. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I'm all for seeing Ricciardo in red. Great guy!

7. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Some chancers are linking Raikkonen to Haas. Lol.

If Ferrari does another season I'm highly surprised if it's not with Ferrari or another top team (Merc or Red Bull)...if not I'm convinced he'll leave and do LMP1 (he's not interested in ''passenger cars'' as he put it to his mate Toni Vilander, who races Ferrari GT2).

I can even see a shock move coming, Kvyat to Ferrari.

He's fluent in Italian
    Ferrari has fairly significant backing from Kaspersky who'll surely like a fellow russian at Ferrari
    I found him highly impressive in his first season (considering no 2nd tier experience, only GP3), and I had my doubts of him going against Ricciardo who impressed many against Vettel. After the initial few races he got the hang of his new team and very often matched or beat Ricciardo.
    He's not a whiner on the radio.

Verstappen will take his place at RBR. Rosberg to stay at Mercedes.

That's me on an outside bet!

(*straight copy from the other thread, to which DF1 replied the following)

If Kvyat can lead, I've no clue. But I remain impressed with him...sure a mistake here and there (notably Austin last year)...but a mistake is allowed imo, and Grosjean is the prime example of overcoming faults and developing into a world class racer).

IMO Ferrari in all reality do need another strong #2 when Kimi leaves...teammates fighting each other is always bad news.

8. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    LOL @ "smiley boy" nickname.

I'm sure you're right about the rest. I just don't think he is mature enough for the big teams yet.

9. DF1

12:20-- F1 News, Drivers, Results - Formula 1 Live Online | Sky Sports

Nico Rosberg is one of many drivers out of contract at the end of this season, but Toto Wolff says he is first in the queue for 2017 talks.

The German has finished second behind team-mate Lewis Hamilton in the past two seasons but Mercedes management are clearly impressed, particularly after his victory at the season-opening Australian GP

"Nico is part of the Mercedes family," Mercedes boss Wolff told Sport Bild. "So he will be the first person we speak with. Then he has to tell us what he imagines also."

Pascal Wehlrein, Daniel Ricciardo and Max Verstappen have all been linked with Rosberg's seat. (Full story - external site, in German.)

10. SDS

SDS Karting
    BANNED

Aug 24, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    SDS
    Asl long as Kimi R goes away, I am fine.

Not sure why Ferrari kept this whiner for the 2016 season.

He has nothing to add and is really time for him to go...

11. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ricciardo and Hamilton would make an interesting team. I could see those guys getting along well enough.

12. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Came in 4th last year in points as #2 driver on 2nd best car. Right where he should have been - with a lot of failures outside his control.

He doesn't whine either; people actually criticize him for not saying enough.

Dude just got out of a burning F1 car in Australia like he was standing up from eating a sandwich on a park bench.

I-C-E-M-A-N

Deal with it.

: P

13. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    As I understand it, contrary to his public persona of saying next to nothing if not less, when it comes to giving the engineers feedback about the car Kimi is one of the best on the grid.

Added to that, with Ferrari going from pull-rod front suspension to push rod, they wanted as much direct comparison information as to how this years car compares to last years for development purposes, so having both Seb and Kimi on board made a lot of sense.

Last year he did struggle to get to grips with the car in qualifying, but in the races his biggest problem was that he always got the car that failed to finish. Okay, a couple of times it was his own fault but the vast majority of DNF's were not his fault.

As for being a whiner: Please show us the evidence of Kimi ever whining!

1) When Ferrari decided to dump him for Fernando "I want to end My career at Ferrari - Ooh look there's a seat a McLaren!" Alonso, did Kimi throw his toys out of the pram and whinge and whine about it?

2) When his car broke down every other race last year, did Kimi moan and b:censored:tch about it at every opportunity?

3) Has Kimi ever criticised and whined about the team in public?

The Answers are:

1): No!
    2): No!
    3): No!

Naturally though, if you know better, feel free to post up your evidence!

14. toil

toil F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 23, 2014
    I think rosberg will stay at merc. Ricciardo at Ferrari would be good but I suspect red bull will try hold on to him and he's under contract. Kvyat could actually make sense

15. DF1

10:23

Nico Rosberg has enjoyed a flying start to the season, and The Telegraph understands he will be offered a new contract to stay at Mercedes.

The German's current contract expires at the end of the season and his current salary is approximately half that of team-mate Lewis Hamilton's £30million a year.

The wages are the only thing that could hold up the deal, writes Daniel Johnson, but his extended stay at the Silver Arrows to battle Hamilton should be a formality. (Full story - external link)

F1 News, Drivers, Results - Formula 1 Live Online | Sky Sports

16. CSM0TION

CSM0TION Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    Do you think that Rosberg will command a top salary? I wonder if any other team could offer anything enough to entice him away from MB. I think MB has the power in that one and ROS will have to be happy with what they give him. Call it £20million a year.

17. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I agree, great guy and fast as hell.

18. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    I don't see him receiving a top salary such as Hami. I don't quite see the marketing value in Rosy. Not that I see how Hamilton could be marketed, either. What I could well imagine is a decent base salary with heavy rewards per WDC coming his way, e.g. +5million p.a. per WDC. This way he remains cheap for in case, but also has a decent reward for the following seasons.

19. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    I would of liked to Alonso replaced by Smiley or Danny Kia-Fiat back before they were driving in Red Bull and still in Torro Rosso. Either of these could still replace Vettel.

20. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Kvyat seems ust an average driver tome,can't understand all the fuss about him.....

21. toil

toil F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 23, 2014
    He out scored Ricciardo last year who in turn destroyed Vettel so he must be good

22. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Please please puhleeeeze, no Grosjean at Ferrari!

I would get Ricci or the Hulk.

Or what about this felipe Massa guy? He looks pretty handy in the Williams.

I kid, I kid :D

23. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    :D I was just about to post that Massa is out of contract at the end of this year also, so this should be the last we see of him. With a lot of great young talent around, and Bottas now settled back to a seeming 2nd tier ranking (he's not beating Massa by enough to still be considered for a move up the grid), Williams should have a go at a Sainz or Verstappen or Wehrlein... or Rosberg. ;)

24. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    What did Hulkenberg actually perform that makes him top team material ?

He doesn't impress, not in Q and not in the race.

Ricciardo, Verstappen, Stoffel and Sainz are the names to look out for IMO.

25. DF1

Wow only 20mil. His wife will be disappointed and asking for a divorce :) WE should all suffer such a sad fate :)